MadCast: Emaxxy

Gnar- The Missing Link

Well the newest champion has been announced, Gnar, a cute little yordle. If you make him mad you better watch out though! He looks like he's fun to play and he is planned to be a top laner. His kit looks like a lot of fun to play so I may pick him up if I think I should. What are your thoughts on him?

Kit announcement: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/champion-reveal/gnar-the-missing-link

Damn, he's cute... you know, when he's not that giant monster.  Like they mentioned somewhere in that article, I've been notoriously awful with champions that transform.

Awards

So i have a question ... reading the whole article MTD posted i didnt understand one thing...so does it mean that GNAR can only use his ult when he is transformed into his MegaGnar form? so making minignar effectively having only q,w and e to use ?

Awards

Gnar has alternate versions of his skills, but they do similar things. His boomerang throws a boulder instead, which stops when it hits a target, and can be picked up like Olaf's axe to reduce the cooldown. His W is an AoE stun around him. His E is a jump with AoE damage, like Nidalee's Pounce.

Seems like this champion could be hard to balance since he is a manaless ranged toplaner, and his melee form skills seem quite powerful too. Reminding me a little bit of Jayce, except there's no ability like Jayce's E that stands out as really really strong.

Gnar has alternate versions of his skills, but they do similar things. His boomerang throws a boulder instead, which stops when it hits a target, and can be picked up like Olaf's axe to reduce the cooldown. His W is an AoE stun around him. His E is a jump with AoE damage, like Nidalee's Pounce.

Seems like this champion could be hard to balance since he is a manaless ranged toplaner, and his melee form skills seem quite powerful too. Reminding me a little bit of Jayce, except there's no ability like Jayce's E that stands out as really really strong.

yea i just played him on the PBE and hes seems to have a and i mean a lot .. just with a tri force iwa s able to burst a lot and he has a lot of cc and his megagnar form does a lot of burst damage and his mini gnar can kite very very well

Awards

From what I have watched... he is sivir/draven with a mix of Fizz jumps.  But then goes ULTIMATE HULK mode when his bar fills up like Shyvana does except this guy shape changes are contorlled like Rumble and Renektons bars are.  His kit is really all over the place and really needs to be played to figure it all out.

Edited by MadCast: Sabre Wolf

I was just going over the PBE notes, he's definitely overtuned at the moment. NBD it's PBE, details below (plus pics of release skim omgsocute)

http://www.surrenderat20.net/2014/07/729-pbe-update.html

Just the combination of scalings he has (AD, AP, %health) as well as his magic mix up damage on the W in Mini-Gnar form will make him quite formidable in lane. Basically I'm still out on this design from the pure power of his mechanics. I do really like the long cooldown if he misses his Boomerang as well as the fact that you could maybe purposely miss it as it goes 2x the distance behind him for *ahem* YOLO360NOSCOPE's.

I think balance will basically come down to whether or not his turning into big Gnar is necessary for a successful all-in or if just Mini-Gnar is enough to stifle the opponent. Though I guess both would end up being interesting but the latter would require being big to be a disadvantage in lane and that is against their design mentality of "make it coool".

Awards