I'm a big fan of the new 5e, and just wanted to see if anybody else here plays, has played, or wants to play.  I have the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Rise of Tiamat, and Princes of the Apocalypse books as well as the DMG, MM, and PHB.  I'd really enjoy getting with a group in progress or even starting a new one if we can find interested parties or arrange a group.

I'm running through the Hoard of the Dragon Queen set of adventures with my group as DM. There are things I like about 5e and things everyone at my table despises. Suffice to say if we continue with 5e and healthy dose of In House Rules will be adjudicated in future adventures.

Awards

I'm not so much a fan of D&D personally only because I have limited time for the ruleset. I spend enough time setting up my Dungeon World campaign, let alone the intricacies of D&D. Should I have had more time to focus on it, yeah, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. =)

I'm running through the Hoard of the Dragon Queen set of adventures with my group as DM. There are things I like about 5e and things everyone at my table despises. Suffice to say if we continue with 5e and healthy dose of In House Rules will be adjudicated in future adventures.

What does your group despise about the ruleset?  I haven't tried it out yet so I am curious.

What does your group despise about the ruleset?  I haven't tried it out yet so I am curious.

Keep in mind... my group uses 3D dungeon terrain and a lot of miniatures. We're all very tactically minded and combat is usually a coordinated effort creating advantages and exploiting weaknesses on both sides of the table. 

5e has limited combat options compared to 3.5/Pathfinder or even 4e in our opinion. While 3.5 had various maneuvers such as Trip, Grapple, Bull Rushes, etc which all sort of had their own strengths and weakness and subsystems of combat rules on how to resolve them.... 5e has little of that. In an effort to speed up play rules have been condensed and watered down considerably. When they did this for 4E it was ok... because rules for abilities existed WITHIN each ability. So while there were fewer and simpler global combat rules Knock Down, Pushes, Pulls, Stuns, etc could all be pulled off through selecting various At-Will, Encounter, and Daily Powers which explained how they worked there in the ability description. 5e takes even all of that out. Most "combat maneuvers" and "status effects" are largely just the same roll against the same defense (making them mathematically and strategically similar or identical) with the same or incredibly similar result.  Almost every status effect either allows you to have Advantage against them, They have Disadvantage against you, or both. Poison, an entire CLASS of damage and playstyle in previous editions has been reduced to a Condition - They have Disadvantage on attacks and abilities..... uhhh thanks?

There is no more 5 ft step. And I can run circles around enemies (or enemies around players) without hindrance or attacks of opportunity, so "tanks" have a difficult time keeping enemies hitting them and not squishies in the back. Grappling used to be a great way to deal with spellcasters... now it's a pointless tactic. You reduce their movement to 0, but you don't stop them from attacking you or anyone else in any way or casting spells. All you've done is reduce their movement and you can move the grapple. Rarely an advantage when I could just shove them.

I don't think it's a BAD system. I think it has a lot of good bones. Character design is especially great,  I think. The stories in the sold adventures are also top notch. Just for a group who is very tactically minded and wanting to work together... there is not a lot of tactical options. They've dumbed down combat to provide quick paced play and be more accessible to new players - but haven't given any expanded optional rules for veteran players... which means I'll be making my own.

Awards

Keep in mind... my group uses 3D dungeon terrain and a lot of miniatures. We're all very tactically minded and combat is usually a coordinated effort creating advantages and exploiting weaknesses on both sides of the table. 

5e has limited combat options compared to 3.5/Pathfinder or even 4e in our opinion. While 3.5 had various maneuvers such as Trip, Grapple, Bull Rushes, etc which all sort of had their own strengths and weakness and subsystems of combat rules on how to resolve them.... 5e has little of that. In an effort to speed up play rules have been condensed and watered down considerably. When they did this for 4E it was ok... because rules for abilities existed WITHIN each ability. So while there were fewer and simpler global combat rules Knock Down, Pushes, Pulls, Stuns, etc could all be pulled off through selecting various At-Will, Encounter, and Daily Powers which explained how they worked there in the ability description. 5e takes even all of that out. Most "combat maneuvers" and "status effects" are largely just the same roll against the same defense (making them mathematically and strategically similar or identical) with the same or incredibly similar result.  Almost every status effect either allows you to have Advantage against them, They have Disadvantage against you, or both. Poison, an entire CLASS of damage and playstyle in previous editions has been reduced to a Condition - They have Disadvantage on attacks and abilities..... uhhh thanks?

There is no more 5 ft step. And I can run circles around enemies (or enemies around players) without hindrance or attacks of opportunity, so "tanks" have a difficult time keeping enemies hitting them and not squishies in the back. Grappling used to be a great way to deal with spellcasters... now it's a pointless tactic. You reduce their movement to 0, but you don't stop them from attacking you or anyone else in any way or casting spells. All you've done is reduce their movement and you can move the grapple. Rarely an advantage when I could just shove them.

I don't think it's a BAD system. I think it has a lot of good bones. Character design is especially great,  I think. The stories in the sold adventures are also top notch. Just for a group who is very tactically minded and wanting to work together... there is not a lot of tactical options. They've dumbed down combat to provide quick paced play and be more accessible to new players - but haven't given any expanded optional rules for veteran players... which means I'll be making my own.

Personally, I like the dumbed down rules a bit more.  It lets me escape having to draw up maps for every encounter and have my players focus on the role play aspect of the fights rather than the tactics or metagaming that can occur.  Not saying you do this, just that the fight itself isn't so much an exercise in prowess as much as it's a story within THE STORY.  If you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, but it's not what my players enjoy. They enjoy the crunch and the tactics, not the fluff and story and RP.

Awards

I'll also point out that if you like quick dice rolls and really getting into the story and RP... check out the new Star Wars RPGs. That dice system is the best I've ever seen for creating quick action packed scenes that focus more on fun and story than on the numbers (because there really are none). 

I had an epic fight with my players fighting on top and inside of flying "cars" in Coruscant  that was so damn intense and there was never a lapse in myself or the players describing what was happening. 

Awards

I'll also point out that if you like quick dice rolls and really getting into the story and RP... check out the new Star Wars RPGs. That dice system is the best I've ever seen for creating quick action packed scenes that focus more on fun and story than on the numbers (because there really are none). 

I had an epic fight with my players fighting on top and inside of flying "cars" in Coruscant  that was so damn intense and there was never a lapse in myself or the players describing what was happening. 

I'm running a campaign in this system right now and it is fantastic.

I actually got this, but my players didn't keep up with the campaign often enough.  So it got stale really fast.

I'd love to do a D&D session. It'd be nice. I'm also a noob in tabletop genre, but because of Critical Role and my minor experience with it, I wanna get back in if possible. Looks like a ton of fun

LOVE D&D. I'd like to get in on something. Let me know the logistics and I'd love to play.

Awards

As most of you know, I already run a 5E campaign with some of our members.  I can't run a second campaign, but I can give all the 5E materials to anybody that may need them.  I'd encourage all of you that have just expressed interest to contact each other and start your own game.  Somebody start a sign up and get a campaign going.  Even if it is a sand box campaign.  If somebody would like to start a campaign, and would like my help, I'd be more than happy to lend my time to help you get the ball rolling.

I'd love to get those materials if you have copies of them (like files) so I can start perusing through. I DM'd for a long time and would just like to take a look at the new stuff. Not volunteering to run a group just yet but we shall see!

Awards

Although this thread was a bit of a necro, I think it's not a bad idea to see who's interested in a game, and to see if any DM's want to step up. I could only really commit to weekends if there's anyone who feels like running a game.

I might at some point in the distant future consider running a campaign, but it won't be until well after I've settled into my new posting in March. Perhaps sometime next summer.

I honestly would love to get into another tabletop game. I have played pathfinder, palladium/rifts, and d&d 3.5 and older. I also have all the books for most tabletop games if anyone needs those.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Awards

Thread necroing, heh.

Just putting this out there to gauge interest, but as I am getting to the point where I'm looking at more free time in general for the future, I might be open to DMing a 5e game on roll29 for community memberas things have settled down for me at work.

I'm not the most experienced DM, but I have run the full Tyranny of Dragons as well as Phandelver in 5e on Roll20 before, and Storm over Neverwinter - Gardmore Abbey in 4e before that. Obviously, I like to work with published modules and just spice them up and am not really much of a world builder.

I'd probably be looking to do either Curse of Strand or Out of the Abyss, although Abyss is definitely the more significant time commitment of the two, so obviously, I have a preference for the sparkly vampires vs the disgusting demons. If I get enough interested responses, I guess we'll start up a thread for details and times and such, as well as character creation help. I don't run my games super serious...I like roleplay, but you can feel free to break the fourth wall in my games or make spoofing/parody characters. Just don't be overly vulgar or anything.

32 minutes ago, crazncanuck said:

Thread necroing, heh.

Just putting this out there to gauge interest, but as I am getting to the point where I'm looking at more free time in general for the future, I might be open to DMing a 5e game on roll29 for community memberas things have settled down for me at work.

I'm not the most experienced DM, but I have run the full Tyranny of Dragons as well as Phandelver in 5e on Roll20 before, and Storm over Neverwinter - Gardmore Abbey in 4e before that. Obviously, I like to work with published modules and just spice them up and am not really much of a world builder.

I'd probably be looking to do either Curse of Strand or Out of the Abyss, although Abyss is definitely the more significant time commitment of the two, so obviously, I have a preference for the sparkly vampires vs the disgusting demons. If I get enough interested responses, I guess we'll start up a thread for details and times and such, as well as character creation help. I don't run my games super serious...I like roleplay, but you can feel free to break the fourth wall in my games or make spoofing/parody characters. Just don't be overly vulgar or anything.

I think you will find there is a lot of interest at MadCast.  In my experience you need to set out your proposed playtimes before you will get much traction.

Can I fit a 3rd D&D session in each week?  

Maybe.  Depends when you run it.  

Should I?  

Silly question.  Of course!

And don't believe anything KHAOS says about me... he's biased =P

Since this thread has been brought back to life (again), I choose to use Reincarnation as the means.  It is now a looking for players thread for upcoming / existent games!

Looking for a player who can join my group on Wednesday nights 9PM EST.  A spell caster would be useful, but I don't think we are too set on any particular class.  Homebrew campaign, 5e, level 4, Roll20.net.

I am not the DM, but I can put you in touch with him.  This is not a MadCast game.  DM will decide who joins upon getting in touch with any/all interested.

I am playing a storm cleric, we also have a warforged barbarian fontliner, a bard and a fighter/archer.

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

2 hours ago, MadCast: Khaos said:

I think you will find there is a lot of interest at MadCast.  In my experience you need to set out your proposed playtimes before you will get much traction.

Proposed time. Likely Saturday evening would be best for me, but I'm quite open to moving it to any other evening except Friday. I do live in Mountain Time though, so I'm not free in the weekday evenings until 8 Pm eastern, for the east coasters interested.

I'd also be open to a Saturday/Sunday morning or afternoon game, if thats more palatable than any evening slot.

1 hour ago, MadCast: Angelix said: