MadCast: Khaos

DW PbP - Game Thread

Recommended Posts

Welcome to MadCast's first (that I know of) attempt at a play by post forum tabletop rpg game. We will be using the Dungeon World system. This is a 2d6+MOD system focusing heavily on narration and propelling action forward.

Please do not post in this game thread unless you are a player. Spectators are welcome to join us in the Out of Character Thread to discuss the game, etc.

Quick Background Information:
The Party
The World
The System

With the admin stuff out of the way ... let's get to it!




Welcome to Misneach, a world torn asunder centuries ago, when the races of man and earth determined to buck off the rule of their capricious creators. Man, monster, angel, and demon died in untold numbers during this conflict. The war was unending, until the best and brightest of the gnomes created the "immolo divinus", a device capable of destroying all that was divine and demonic in the world. The gnomes were afraid to use their creation, but the human king Selius had no such fear. His agents detonated the immolo divinus. The resulting magical explosion destroyed the divine forces, but also devastated the continent of Ebron, the birthplace of the races of man. As predicted by gnome philosophers opposed to the immolo divinus, the races of man were lost without divine guidance. Kingdoms fell, cities burned, and the races of man turned upon one another.  The immolo divinus itself was lost to the sands of time.

Survivors fled Ebron, and made their way to Firlas Ha'que, a wild continent previously untouched by man. But even centuries later Firlas Ha'que will not be tamed. Cities are limited to the coastline, and men fear to tread into the interior where the gods and demons of Firlas Ha'que still rule. One such city is Kinsale, seat of the MacTire Clan. Like all cities of note in Firlas Ha'que, Kinsale is a seaside port that acts as a local trading hub. The city is ruled by Lady Deidre, matriarch of the MacTire Clan.

Yesterday, a group of small humanoids raided the city, killing dozens of guards, and making off with a variety of treasures. Trackers indicate that these monsters fled north into the Soulless Swamp, a land which no man or beast would enter by choice. Lady Deidre's counselors have posted a large bounty to any adventurers who can track down these monsters and return a precious statuette, said to grant the bearer the power to commune with the gods themselves.

Faolan MacTire, Lady Deidre's younger brother and a fighter of great reknown in his own right, has convinced his longtime friends to take up his sister's quest. The human cleric known as Whisp, the halfling druid Tansy, and the salamander immolator Tenebris were understandably nervous but were unwilling to allow Faolan to face the Soulless Swamp alone.




You find yourselves deep within the Soulless Swamp, following tracks heading almost due north as night falls. It is impossible to know how many creatures you are following, as they travel in single file to hide their numbers. Tansy leads the group, stopping at regular intervals to inspect a broken twig or a small footprint. Thus far, your path has curved around the larger pools of stagnant gray waters lying among the dead and dying trees.

Tansy, you halt the group as you notice drops of blood along the path laid down by your quarry. There is no sign of a struggle, and you follow the trail of blood. Soon you come upon a small body. It has a reptilian face and dark leathery skin. It is dressed in rotting rags. Faolan, Tenebris, and Whisp quickly set up a perimeter as you inspect the body. It is clear to you that the creature has bled out from a single ragged cut along its neck. You also find several wounds in its abdomen that appear to have been made posthumously. It almost looks as if something burrowed into the body in several locations. Upon cautious inspection, you discover that many of the creature's organs have been eaten away.

Your attention is dragged away as Tenebris whistles sharply. As you look up you notice scores of yellow eyes glowing menacingly in the branches overhead. You squint in the twilight and see what appears to be huge bushy tails behind each set of eyes.

You each brace yourselves. The creatures leap down at you, fangs bared.

What do you do? (Anyone) Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faolan whirls on the beasts, prepared by a lifetime of fighting to react at a moment's notice. Shillelagh having never left his hands, he whirls it round like a dervish and takes several wild blows at the creatures, looking to cause a stir. Faolan:2D6+2 → 9(4 +3 + 2)#Hack N' Slash Faolan:1D10+1 → 4(3 + 1)#Piercing 2, Shillelagh Faolan manages to strike several of the swarm of rats, bashing them on the head as the begin to swarm over his armor. He calls out to Tenebris, more annoyed than anything else as the rats bite at the thin spots in his armor. "Could be some of that their fireworks would be appreciated, Tenebris! Swamp rats are not the most cowardly of beasts!"

Edited by MadCast: VoShay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faolan, you strike down four of the beasts in a precise, savage flurry, but one manages to dart past your defenses.  It bites at your neck, dealing 4 damage, pierce 1.

 

VampireSquirrel:1D6 → 4(4)#Pierce 1

 

The rest of you watch in horror as the beasts begin to swarm over Faolan, and others lunge at you.

 

What do you do?  (Any but Faolan)

 

OOC: These are totally a thing guys!  Also, let's all use italics for OOC, and standard for narration.

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tansy jumps back from the cadaver she had been examining, alarmed by the commotion erupting around her. She poises the spear clutched in her left fist to strike one of the vermin closest to her.

 

Tansy:2D6+1 → 5(3 +1 + 1)#Hack 'n Slash

 

It would seem that in her distraction she was not able to take proper aim.

Edited by MadCast: Fayea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC:  Tansy has the honor of our first critical fail (6-)!  Two things happen on a critical fail.  First, the player "Marks XP."  That means you gain 1 XP for learning through failure.  This is one of the main ways to gain XP in this system.  Second, I get to make a special GM move off of the GM move list.  These moves are very broad, and basically just outline all of the things that a GM would do anyway.  I'll start by calling out my moves as we get underway, but soon I will start following the DW GM principle "Never name your move."  I select Make a Monster Move, and I'm going to use the Vampire Squirrel's move, "Go for the Jugular!"  Another thing, in this system when you are attacked by multiple enemies you don't take multiple hits.  You just take the best damage roll.  So I'm going to rule that Tansy is being attacked by four of the squirrels.  I rolled 4d6, and took the highest roll, which was a 4.

 

Tansy, your target leaps to avoid your thrust and lands deftly on the end of your spear.  It hisses, and slowly waives its bushy tail as you make eye contact.  Unable to avert your gaze, you fail to notice three of its friends approach from your back.  Two leap on your back and bite into your shoulders.  The last leaps at you with unnatural precision, it's teeth leaving a ragged gash through your carotid artery.  You instinctively reach your hand to your neck, and it feels like trying to stop a river.

 

VanpireSquirrel:4D6 → 10(4 +1 +1 +4)#damage is best roll

 

You take 4 damage, pierce 1, and you are bleeding profusely.  Take 2 additional damage, ignoring armor, for each PC post until you are magically healed.  Your first time healed will only staunch the wound, it will not recover HP.

 

Whisp, you watch Tansy collapse to her knees, blood flowing from between the fingers clutching her neck.  She looks pleadingly at you, but cannot speak.  What do you do?

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisp turns from watching Faolan whack at the beasts to the attention of Tansy. Seeing the druid struggling to hold in her life's blood, Whisp instantly raises her right hand and levels her palm at Tansy. The long bracelet wound round her arm glows as the eye-shaped charms on it seem to float, defying gravity as they gain an unearthly glow that gives off no visible, secondary light. The Cleric intones in a dead language as the flesh of Tansy's throat knits itself back together, leaving a fading scar of red to black to the too pink flesh of newly healed skin. Though Tansy still feels weakened by the attack, no longer will she bleed out. Whisp returns her quarterstaff to both hands and raises it up, ready to fight the creatures. Whisp:2D6+2 → 11(6 +3 + 2)#Cure Light Wounds on Tansy "Tenebris, I hope you have something fancy up your sleeves!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tenebris, the creatures seem to avoid you, focusing solely on your companions.  There are six creatures currently on Faolan, and two more circling him, wary of his weapon.  Two are are climbing on Tansy's back and two dance nimbly on her spear, rushing towards her hand.  Whisp is temporarily holding off four more of the creatures by swinging her quarterstaff in quick wide arcs.  You are certain that these sixteen are the last of these demon spawn.  Tenebris, what do you do?

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tenebris attempts to control the magma beneath the rocks to bring forth fire to chase away the creatures, but instead, the rocks crack open and he cannot be sure what will happen.  He had been attempting to heat up the air and catch the tree on fire, then bend the flames to chase the creatures away from his party members and to send them off into the swamp in a panic.

 

2d6+1 = 5  #Zuko Style, Roaring Flames

Edited by MadCast: Shadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tenebris, as you call forth the flames of your fathers, you feel only hunger and a demand for sacrifice.  The flames refuse to bend to your will, engulfing the entire area in magical fire.

 

OOC:  Mark XP.  GM-move:  Tell them the requirements or consequences and ask.

 

There are sixteen vampire squirrels remaining.  They each have 3 HP.  Inflict as much damage as you wish against the vampire squirrels with a minimum of 9.  However, you must distribute an equal amount of damage to the PCs as you see fit, bypassing armor.

 

What do you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC:  +1 XP for Tenebris.  For my own benefit I was doing math so not to kill anyone, assuming Faolan only took 2 damage because he had 3 armor (-1 armor ignore), he has 23 hp.  Tansy took -4, 15 hp.  Tenebris has 17 hp.  And I do not know Whisp's hp yet but assume she can take a hit or two...

 

The magic fire that spreads through the area manages to instantly kill the three vampire squirrels that attacked Tansy unknowingly, burning up into the ash as their skeletal forms can be seen from inside of the flames as they rise around the small bodies, engulfing them fully and incinerating them.  Tansy feeling her foot catch momentarily on fire before it puffs out into smoke, taking 3 hit points of damage, and a squirrel near Faolon is burned to ash.  The one on the spear manages to survive being raised high above the flames.  Tenebris feels the flames snake around his legs as this point, searing his flesh and he feels his life force being burned away from the inside, taking 9 hit points of damage.  Around Faolan the flames reach for his armor, heating it up and causing his skin to grow hot and though not dealing anywhere near fatal damage, he takes 6 hit points of damage as two of the vampire squirrels are caught up in the growing maelstrom of fire that whips through the air and slams into their small bodies, killing them instantly.  The flames jump into the air catching Whisp just barely and singeing her arm, dealing 3 hit points of damage, and another vampire squirrel near Faolan goes up in a sea of roaring heat, it's skin blistering as it lets out a horrific shriek.  The heat continues to boil the air and another vampire squirrel is felled by the magical flames, as Tenebris grits his teeth feeling the flames lash out at his wrist, wrapping it about it and searing the skin, taking another 3 hit points of damage.

 

OOC:  Body count, 8 squirrels (8 remain, only one near Tansy on her spear).  Tenebris takes 12 damage (5 hp left), Faolan takes 6 damage (17 hp left), Tansy takes 3 hit points of damage (12 hp left), and Whisp takes 3 hit points of damage (unsure of her max HP).  If able, Tenebris would use his healing potion at this point to recover some life.

Edited by MadCast: Shadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tenebris, you drink a healing potion as you survey the damage you have wrought.  Your friends take advantage of the beasts' panic to put out their burning clothes.  You all watch as the surviving squirrels back off to a safe distance and climb into nearby trees that escaped the flames. They watch you patiently.  You look down to see the rags on the corpse slowly smoldering.  The flames have not helped with the stench.  Tansy, despite the devastation, you can easily discern the small humanoid footprints disappearing into the twilight mist towards the north.

 

What do you do? (anyone)

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faolan grimaces at the new welts under his armor, thankful for the padding that will hopefully keep chafing to a minimum. "Suppose dat counts for something, Tenebris. Mayhap a bit less of a hurry next time." Faolan looks to Whisp, and seeing her well, walks over to Tansy. His eyes stray to the pink flesh at her throat, and he grimaces. "Luck has it dat Whisp t'were here to see dat mend. Only a fool depends on luck, Tansy." He unclips a potion of a swirling, unnatural green from his belt and hands it to her. "Drink up. We'll make a warrior of you yet. Take point and lead us down de tracks, Tansy. Soon as yer ready. Not much use for standing still in the swamp, 'cept a real hunger for more friends."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tansy smirks at Faolan, "You mean I'm lucky she hasn't left our side after all of the hard days we put her through." She then nods at him, a small gesture of thanks, as she takes the potion. She uncorks it and sips it slowly, seemingly unfazed by the bitter taste as she takes note of the footprints and looking around, "Suppose we should figure out who or what exactly killed this unfortunate fella, it may bring us closer to recovering that treasure." She gestures towards the remnants of the corpse she had been examining before walking carefully next to the tracks, scratching her neck and bending down to get a closer look.

 

Tansy:2D6+ → 11(5 +6 + 0)#Spout Lore

Edited by MadCast: Fayea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tansy, a close inspection of the footprints leading off into the mist confirms your initial suspicions.  The corpse is, or rather was, a part of the pack of creatures that you have been following.  You recognize the deceased as a kobold, an intelligent but servile race often found in the forced employ of a larger reptile of some sort.  You look at the wound on its neck once more, unconsciously putting your hand to your own neck where you only recently suffered a nearly identical wound.  You surmise that these beasts were only defending their most recent kill.

 

What do you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC: Yeay kobolds!

 

Tansy steadily begins to follow the tracks and motions to the rest of the party to do the same, "Looks to be more of 'em ahead, this one was just less lucky than us. Keep your eyes sharp so we won't be the center of another ambush."

Edited by MadCast: Fayea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC: You are undertaking a perilous journey.  Typically the players choose which three characters will take on the role of scout, trailblazer, and quartermaster.  Each rolls +WIS.  Since Tansy, Whisp, and Tenebris all have the same Wisdom, I'll just assign roles and roll for you to keep things moving along.

 

PerilousJourney:2D6+3 → 9(4 +2 + 3)#Tansy, Pathfinder

PerilousJourney:2D6+3 → 11(4 +4 + 3)#Whisp, Quartermaster

PerilousJourney:2D6+3 → 11(5 +3 + 3)#Tenebris, Scout

 

OOC: In retrospect I realized that your Wisdom modifiers should be 2.  You succeed anyways so it doesn't matter.

 

You travel uneventfully late into the night, guided by an unnatural glow emanating from the waters that cause your path to meander.  Tansy has little difficulty following the kobold tracks, although it does not appear that you are gaining on them.  As you walk, Whisp forages enough food for a traveling snack, and casts Sanctify to ensure it is safe to eat.  OOC: Do not mark a use of your dungeon rations.

 

Under Tenebris' watchful eye, you are able to avoid the many strange and unnatural creatures that you hear passing through the darkness.

 

As dawn approaches, you see a soft glowing light obscured in the mists.  It darts back and forth over the waters, slowly moving towards you.

 

What do you do? (anyone)

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisp slows and says quietly, "Do you all see what I see?" She narrows her eyes and tries to discern reality. Whisp rolls 2d6+1 = 3 

Whisp gasps, mistakenly calling out, "It's just a spunkie! A harmless will-o-the-wisp... It should lead us out of this fog. Perhaps we should follow it?" She smiles excitedly and begins to run towards the lights.

 

She skids to a halt and trips over her feet in front of the creature holding the light. She stares in shock as her eyes draw up and up to the blood-stained face and cap of the goblin standing before her and the Four standing behind him. "N-not...spunkies..."

 

OOC: Is this what you meant Khaos for us to create our own actions? Is this okay?

Edited by MadCast: Vyoletta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC: Looks like either "Reveal an unwelcome truth" or "Put someone in a spot." Either way is good to me. Mark XP. The only thing I would have added is a more direct call to action for the other players. Or, you could have kept going and resolved more of the scene. Goblins: d6 damage, 3 HP, 1 Armor.

"Oi, Gellick! Whut'd you say round the fire?" the ringleader yells as the goblins quickly surround you Whisp. The largest goblin steps on your staff. You try to stand, but are pushed down hard by a savage kick. He continues in a mocking tone. "No 'umans stupid enough to fall for the ol' will o the wisp trick!" He laughs at you and the smallest goblin looks around sheepishly. "And a purty one ta boot!" Your eyes meet briefly. "Delshick's gonna like you. Take her alive!"

Whisp, you take 6 damage as the goblins' clubs repeatedly crash down on your chainmail armor.

DelshicksMinions:5D6 → 13(1 +2 +1 +3 +6)#Damage is best roll




Faolan, Tansy, and Tenebris, you watch in disbelief as Whisp sprints into the mist, quickly disappearing from view. You hesitate, certain that she has just charged out into a bog. Shortly, you hear high pitched laughter and a woman's screams for help.

What do you do? (any) Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tansy's ears perk up at Whisp's cry as the goblins pounce on and beat her. She concentrates all of her energy and calls on the spirits to aid her in shapeshifting, taking on the form of a large, intimidating bison.

 

Tansy:2D6+2 → 14(6 +6 + 2)#Shapeshifter

 

OOC: On a 10+, hold 3. Spend one hold for each action taken in animal form.

 

Tansy the bison huffs and charges towards where Whisp was standing a moment ago, coming upon the group of goblins and swinging her great head at them, violently attempting to bat them away from her with her massive weight and horns.

 

Tansy:2D6+1 → 10(3 +6 + 1)#Hack 'n Slash

 

She succeeds in knocking the goblins away, perhaps even managing to batter a few of them in the act.

 

Tansy:1D6 → 6(6)#Damage

 

The bison snorts and looks down at the little bodies scattered around her, wondering how quick they will be to get back up and start in on her. She braces herself for whatever may happen next, meanwhile keeping a large, black eye on Whisp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three of the goblins fall in the face of Tansy's charge, never to rise again.  Only the leader and the smallest goblin avoid destruction.  "Oi, what the 'ell?!  Run Gellick!"  The last two goblins sprint east.  In parting Gellick yells, "Delshick'll 'ear about this!  We'll be back, you'll see!"

 

Faolan and Tenebris rush to the scene of the carnage, and Faolan offers a hand to Whisp to help her to her feet.  Tenebris glares after the retreating goblins.

 

What do you do? (any)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Dey are not our concern, now dat Whisp is safe." Faolan mutters, keeping an eye on the retreating goblins. "We should be far afield before this Delshick hears of what transpired. Can we keep moving?" Faolan turns back to look at Whisp, wondering if she intends to use her magic to repair her wounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We have little reason to wait around here, and less than that to go chasing after annoying goblins."  He says, his voice clearly taking on a harsher tone as he speaks of the goblins who just tired to kidnap his traveling companion.  "But if they come back, they will wish they hadn't."  Then he looks to Faolan.  "Let's keep moving, you are right, we should be far away from here by then.  I will try to get a look of what's up ahead if possible..."

 

TenebrisTorris rolls roll 2d6+2 = 4  #Scouts ahead of the party.

 

Tenebris moves ahead as far as he can without losing sight of the party, but the fog makes it difficult and he cannot see into the distance beyond them.  He sighs.

Edited by MadCast: Shadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC: Mark XP.  Whisp can cast heal at any time.  GM-Move: Separate Them, with a bit of Put Tenebris in a Spot thrown in for good measure.

 

You make it back to the Kobold path without incident and Tansy leads you along at a faster pace, eager to be out of the swamp.  As Faolan and Whisp discuss the wisdom of sprinting blindly into the fog, Tenebris keeps a sharp eye out for more danger.  Unfortunately, he does not notice a pair of giant crocodiles pacing your group in the waters to the west of the path.  Tenebris, one crocodile grabs your leg from behind and pulls you into the water.  You suddenly find yourself submerged and feel the teeth begin to sink in.

 

What do you do?

 


 

Faolan and Whisp, one minute you are following Tansy, deep in discussion, and the next you see Tenebris dragged off into the water.  You see a flash of dark green scales and rush to the water's edge, only to find a second crocodile lunge towards you, it's six-inch teeth glistening cruelly in the first light of dawn.

 

What do you do? (any)

 

OOC: Crocodilian: Bite (d8+3 damage); 10HP; 2 Armor

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC: Marked XP.  Hoorah for non-critical fail rolls!

 

Feeling himself being dragged under the water, Tenebris realizes he does not have much time to react, and instinctively he uses the fire within himself to brandish a weapon to strike out with before he is dragged too far beneath the water.

 

 
His left arm begins to glow and the weapon boils around it as the molten short spear emerges, his fingers wrapped tightly about it's spiraled, twisted shaft.  The length of the tip is several inches long and extremely sharp.
 
 
He then twists at the waist and plunges the tip into the side of whatever has him, presses down hard with both hands on what appears to be tough leathery flesh.  The tip penetrates it and he drives it in just far enough that he could pull it out to make another strike if he needed to.  He hoped whatever it was would think twice after it felt the now slow hardening molten short spear searing it's flesh from the inside.  The water around them fills with bubbles and steam emerges from the water above.
 
 
Inside of the beast, the heat sears its flesh and the intense pain from the deep strike begins to radiate outward into the creature, giving it reason to release Tenebris.
Edited by MadCast: Shadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.