MadCast: Khaos

DW PbP - OOC Thread

This is the out of character thread for the Dungeon World Play by Post happening here.  Anyone should feel free to post here with feedback, questions, comments, etc.  I'll be posting background information here soon.

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

The Party:

Faolan MacTire:

Human Fighter (Neutral)- He stands relatively short at 5'3 for a human, but radiates power and fortitude. With sharp, smiling eyes and an easy grin, Faolan is equal parts mayhem and merriment. His body bears scars long forgotten from brawls, barfights, beatdowns, beatings, and brouhaha had in a variety of circumstances- he's not one to turn down a drink or a fight. Nevertheless, he's loyal to a fault to those he calls friends and has sworn to protect Whisp in particular. He cares not what direction his life takes him in, as long as their is sport and recreation along that path.

Bonds:

• Tenebris owes me their life, whether they admit it or not. (RESOLVED)

• I have sworn to protect Whisp.

• Tansy is soft, but I will make them hard like me.

• I worry about the ability of Tenebris to survive the dungeon.

Advanced Moves:

• Merciless - +1d4 damage when you injure a foe.

Whisp:

Kveta "Whisp" Myska is a Human Cleric (Good). She dons a simple habit and a hood. She is smaller for her age and able to avoid standing out. She worships Najwa, the goddess of secrets, and is of the Good Alignment.

Bonds:

• Tenebris has insulted my deity; I do not trust him.

• Tansy is a good and faithful person; I trust her implicitly.

• Faolan is in constant danger, I will keep him safe.         

• I am working on converting Tenebris

Advanced Moves

• First Aid - Cure Light Wounds is a Rote.

Rotes

• Light
  • Sanctify
  • Guidance
  • Cure Light Wounds       

Spells

• Bless
  • Detect Alignment
  • Magic Weapon

Tansy:

Halfling druid of the Whispering Plains (Neutral).  Tansy has unruly, dirty blonde hair that she keeps short and does not appear to wash often by the way it twists and frays. Her eyes are a bright emerald green and hold a look that tells of disdain for most civilization. Across her lightly freckled, somewhat tanned skin lies the markings you would find on the feathers of a hawk; these are found striped across her face, upper arms, and decolletage. The ceremonial garb that she wears is mainly made from bison; hooved boots that utilize worn leather laces to keep the shaggy things from tumbling down her legs along with a great, warm shawl made of the same animal over taut leather shorts and a worn suede vest. In her hair she keeps tied a few hawk feathers and spiderwebs are often found among the tangled mess.

Her token is an amulet carved from a dead cottonwood tree found in Cottonshire. It is knobby and riddled with grooves and oddly shaped holes yet has a finished look with smooth, rounded surfaces. Looking at the amulet one might sense that this expired piece of wood has taken on new life, but it would take a much closer look to understand why.

Bonds:

• Faolan smells more like prey than a hunter.

• The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Tenebris.

• I have showed Whisp a secret rite of the land.

Advanced Moves:

• Red of Tooth and Claw - When in a dangerous animal form, damage die increased to d8

Tenebris:

Salamander Immolator (Neutral).  Orange skin with sporadic pale patches.  Born in the magma deep below the surface, Tenebris has bucked the traditions of his people and traveled to the surface, to learn more of the people that live their lives far from the warmth of the fathers.

Bonds:

• Tansy has felt the hellish touch of fire, now they know my strength.

• I will teach Faolan the true meaning of sacrifice.

• I cast something into the fire for Whisp and still owe them their due.

Advanced Moves:

Stat Tracking

Tansy:

Stats

• HP 19/19; Armor 1; Damage Die d6 (d8 when in dangerous animal form - Red of Tooth and Claw)
  • STR 16; DEX 12; CON 13; WIS 16; INT 9; CHA 8

Gear

• Sahuagin Trident (close, pierce 1, damage 1, messy, 1 weight)

• adventuring gear - 5 uses (1 weight)

• Hide Armor (1 armor, worn, 1 weight)

Faolan:

Stats

• HP 25/25; Armor 3; Damage Die d14+1 (from weapon)
  • STR 17; DEX 9; CON 15; WIS 12; INT 13; CHA 8

Gear

• Fuilsumair, the Black Staff of Kinsale (Pierce 2, Dam +1, Close, 1 Weight)
  • Chainmail Armor (2 Armor, 3 Weight)
  • Shield (1 Armor, 2 Weight)
  • Dungeon Rations (4 Uses)
  • Adventuring Gear (5 Uses)
  • 1 Healing Potion (Heals 10 HP or a Debility)

Whisp:

Stats

• HP 19/19; Armor 1; Damage Die d6
  • STR 15; DEX 9; CON 13; WIS 17; INT 12; CHA 8

Gear

• Symbol of the Divine
  • Dungeon Rations (4 Uses)
  • Staff (Close, Two-Handed, 1 Weight)
  • Chain-mail Armor (1 Armor, 1 Weight)
  • Bandages (3 uses, Slow, Heals 4 HP)
  • 1 Healing Potion (Heals 10 HP or a Debility)

Tenebris:

Stats

• HP 17/17; Armor 0; Damage Die d8
  • STR 9; DEX 12; CON 13; WIS 16; INT 15; CHA 8

Gear

• Adventuring Gear (5 uses)
  • Dungeon Rations (4 uses)
  • 1 Healing Potion (Heals 10 HP or a Debility)
  • Symbol of Sacrifice

The World of Misneach:

Welcome to Misneach, a world torn asunder centuries ago, when the races of man and earth determined to buck off the rule of their capricious creators. Man, monster, angel, and demon died in untold numbers during this conflict. The war was unending, until the best and brightest of the gnomes created the "immolo divinus", a device capable of destroying all that was divine and demonic in the world. The gnomes were afraid to use their creation, but the human king Selius had no such fear. His agents detonated the immolo divinus. The resulting magical explosion destroyed the divine forces, but also devastated the continent of Ebron, the birthplace of the races of man. As predicted by gnome philosophers opposed to the immolo divinus, the races of man were lost without divine guidance. Kingdoms fell, cities burned, and the races of man turned upon one another, and the immolo divinus itself was lost to the sands of time.

Survivors fled Ebron, and made their way to Firlas Ha'que, a wild continent previously untouched by man. But even centuries later Firlas Ha'que will not be tamed. Cities are limited to the coastline, and men fear to tread into the interior where the gods and demons of Firlas Ha'que still rule.

Kinsale and the surrounding lands:

BO2itP2.png

The Known World:

lmbciZi.jpg

Tansy has wild eyes, messy hair, and wears ceremonial garb.

A glance at this miniature of a woman will tell you that she is not well-suited for the bustle of big cities. Being shoved along market carts down dirty streets, following routes through narrow alleyways, and pungent taverns crowded with rowdy patrons are among her least favourite places to frequent. She is accustomed to wide, open spaces where she can observe the dance of nature; the sway of the grass as the wind blows through it, the insects scuttling across the warm earth, and the various calls of the creatures from her homeland.

The homeland of which I speak is called Cottonshire, named for the large cottonwood trees that dot the landscape. It is a quiet plain covered in tall green grasses laced with yellow and white flowers, perfect for settling into and enjoying the sunlight as the cool breezes caress your exposed skin. The wildlife found there ranges from small burrowing mammals to larger horned ones, birds (including birds of prey), and an assortment of insects and flora.

(Here is a link with a sample of the kinds of animals found in Cottonshire. It is mainly based on North American plains but also has smatterings of life that can be found in European plains, including the tansy.)

A more detailed description of Tansy would have to include the fact that she has unruly, dirty blonde hair that she keeps short and does not appear to wash often by the way it twists and frays. Her eyes are a bright emerald green and hold a look that tells of disdain for most civilization. Across her lightly freckled, somewhat tanned skin lies the markings you would find on the feathers of a hawk; these are found striped across her face, upper arms, and decolletage. The ceremonial garb that she wears is mainly made from bison; hooved boots that utilize worn leather laces to keep the shaggy things from tumbling down her legs along with a great, warm shawl made of the same animal over taut leather shorts and a worn suede vest. In her hair she keeps tied a few hawk feathers and spiderwebs are often found among the tangled mess.

Her token is an amulet carved from a dead cottonwood tree found in Cottonshire. It is knobby and riddled with grooves and oddly shaped holes yet has a finished look with smooth, rounded surfaces. Looking at the amulet one might sense that this expired piece of wood has taken on new life, but it would take a much closer look to understand why.

(I hope to eventually either draw my character or commission a friend to do so. If that happens I will definitely post it here!)

The Black Staff of Kinsale is an ancient weapon, first carried by King Cennetig the Second, later known as Great, who lead the Southern migration to Fir-las Ha'Que. Though many perished in the settling, his establishment of Kinsale as a safe port led to the MacTire's continued existence as a meaningful clan in the new continent, even as old kingdoms fell and gave birth to many baronys. The MacTires carried this ancient staff into battle, said to have been wrought from the first bough of an ancient blackthorn, planted when the first MacTire took up residence in the ancient seat on Ebron, now lost. A cutting of that tree grows in Kinsale, and some say that this staff still carries a magical connection to that place, and all of the MacTire line. No reliable power seems to emanate from it, and it seems to otherwise be a magically unremarkable heirloom.

Those in the know, however, are familiar with its name of Fuilsumair (Fuel-soo-mare), meaning 'Blood-Drinker' in the old tongue. Fuilsumair is an enchanted weapon, that draws strength from the blood it spills, drinking it up into the staff itself and using it to give power to its home tree in Kinsale, the wielder, and the MacTire clan in general. What pact, and whom with, was signed to create such an object is unknown, as is the knowledge of its true power by Faolan. The eldest of the courtiers in Kinsale often gossip that the reason Faolan is so driven to take up the staff, and why Diedre has taken no action, is that both siblings have the pact hanging over them- the staff and tree cries for blood, and the MacTires provide it.

(OOC: I see Tenebris as more of a Salamander, who upon being born as an Immolator and touched by magic, crawling out of the magma as something of a more magical being than just a Salamander.  If that makes sense.  I see him appearing more humanoid, because his appearance has been shaped that way by being on the surface.  Which is why I would like to post a few pictures, sort of a "this is Tenebris" but "this is how he chooses to appear to others on the surface."  If Khaos and everyone else have no issues.  To put it point blankly he will never be able to shapeshift, that is not what I am trying to convey.  More I am trying to convey he's taken on the more humanoid appearance to put others at ease with his presence.)

The party would have first met him like this:

Oz1y5di.jpg

Slowly over time he would have taken on a more humanoid appearance.  Becoming something in between these two images, with more Salamander like facial features, and a tail, with his orange skin, but more humanoid in shape:

0jUSwuM.jpg

Tenebris stares into the fiery abyss below him, watching the magma flow against the dark obsidian rocks.  His smouldering eyes resembling the flow and his pupils mimicking the dark obsidian world from which he crawled fourth.  Smooth orange skin covers his body, except for the palms of his hands and the bottoms of his feet, which starkly contrast the orange with a pale cream color and can be seen clearly when he lifts a hand or stretches.  Splotches of cream dot his skin in random places, gtom where he lay on small pebbles of obsidian when first born and cooled quicker in spots.  His magic burns with a heat and deep hot flowing inside of him like the magma he was born from within, having crawled out of it and standing as it dripped away from his flesh onto the black stone below.  Though almost human in appearance, with a long thick tail, more reptilian facial features and a long, fiery tongue, but beneath his flesh magic swirls and what would normally kill others instantly Salamanders, those of which are born directly from the magma itself and not just the fires, have been known to survive and rise from, becoming more cold and distant from others in the process.*

(* Indestructible Hunger - When you would take your last breath, don’t. Instead, you may erase one of your Bonds. This is permanent and lowers your total available Bonds forever. You are alive and have 1d6 hp. If you have no more Bonds, take your last breath as normal.)

Edited by MadCast: Shadow

Rotes:

Every time you commune, you gain access to all of your rotes without having to select them or count them toward your allotment of spells.

Light Rote An item you touch glows with divine light, about as bright as a torch. It gives off no heat or sound and requires no fuel but is otherwise like a mundane torch. You have complete control of the color of the flame. The spell lasts as long as it is in your presence.

Sanctify Rote Food or water you hold in your hands while you cast this spell is consecrated by your deity. In addition to now being holy or unholy, the affected substance is purified of any mundane spoilage.

Guidance Rote The symbol of your deity appears before you and gestures towards the direction or course of action your deity would have you take then disappears. The message is through gesture only; your communication through this spell is severely limited

Cure Light Wounds Level 1 At your touch wounds scab and bones cease to ache. Heal an ally you touch of 1d8 damage.

(First Aid - Cure Light Wounds as Rote)

Known Spells (Total Allowed 3)

Detect Alignment Level 1 When you cast this spell choose an alignment: Good, Evil, Lawful, or Chaotic. One of your senses is briefly able to detect that alignment. The GM will tell you what here is of that alignment.

Bless Level 1 Ongoing Your deity smiles upon a combatant of your choice. They take +1 ongoing so long as battle continues and they stand and fight. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Magic Weapon Level 1  Ongoing The weapon you hold while casting does +1d4 damage until you dismiss this spell. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Hooray maps! Thanks Khaos!

Gotta do it!  GM Principle: Draw maps and leave blanks.  Also, all I did was add icons to Vyoletta's existing maps for the world she created.  Misneach is Vyoletta's world, I'm only playing in it.

So sort of a Salamander masquerading as a Dragonborn, I'm taking it?

He's more like the first picture.  (The second picture was just the best example I could find, and is actually a pretty poor image of what I imagine him to look like now.)  Except his actual physical form has shifted toward a more humanoid appearance, guided by the fact that he is a Salamander "Immolator", and not just a regular Salamander.  What I sent to Khaos in PM asking if he felt it was alright:

"I came up with a look for Tenebris, and want to be sure it is alright. As he's described as more humanoid in appearance, but clearly at birth was very much like most other Salamander's except twisted by the magic that made him an Immolator. (Which I feel, makes him more magical in nature and accounts for his slow shift to be a more humanoid appearance to fit in with those of the above world, including his party.)"
Edited by MadCast: Shadow

I don't need friendships , I have very diverse charisma !

FTFY!

BTW I am loving reading all of this.  I wish I would have paid more attention when this was first posted. I would definately be down for a forum version of RPG as I can't commit to being on TS at a certain time each week.

FTFY!

BTW I am loving reading all of this.  I wish I would have paid more attention when this was first posted. I would definately be down for a forum version of RPG as I can't commit to being on TS at a certain time each week.

Stranger things have (already) happened than running into a lone traveler making their way through the Soulless Swamp.  If you want to roll up a character, let me know.  The playbooks are linked in my signature, and I recommend you take a look at version 1.  You would be level 2 with no XP.

Fighter, Druid, Immolator, and Cleric are unavailable.

Or perhaps a lone character and his hireling, Ron Bucanero???

For Reference

Matron.jpg

Matron-

Matrons are fairly rare- Sahuagin maidens who choose to embrace their sea heritage, instead of taking human mates, take on the full visage of their heritage, often becoming cruel and ugly in appearance. They lay hundreds of eggs and spawn the new generations- as well as lead raiding bands due to their size and often their lifespans- males die far younger than matrons tend too.

Krelloort.jpg

Males-

Sahuagin males are mostly fish-like in appearence, and are usually dismissed by maidens. While males are often better soldiers, they occupy the lowest place in Sahuagin society, and many die very young- often in their first five to ten years.

tumblr_moan0ab5ah1ri1r1uo1_1280_zps096b5

Maidens- Sahuagin maidens have a far more beautiful and human appearance than the matrons and males, and many choose to take a humanoid lover and leave the sea behind. They can appear as fully human (or elf, or dwarf) if they renounce the sea- though any such lover is sure to never be able to abandon such a wife. Offspring of such a coupling, regardless of gender, have vaguely fish-like features similar to the maidens- scales, protrusions, or webbed digits as example. Maidens who reach thirty years of age without taking a husband from the surface world often become matrons- a fate many of them would prefer to avoid. Maidens often join raiding bands on the hopes of resucing, or finding husbands. Life with such a maiden is often seen a good bargain at the tip of a sahuagin male's trident.

I have a plan for the outcome of my roll that I am reserving for a more dramatic reveal.