MadCast: Mandalorian

Sunday Afternoon D&D

I was inspired after our conversation following Friday's session.  Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to add/detract from my comments regarding your characters =)

A Dead Reckoning – The Hunters’ Motive

Thorin:

Cyric is suspected of having a hand in arranging the miscommunication that resulted in Tyr’s duel with Helm (in which Helm was killed).  Helm returned after the Second Sundering.  It is likely that he holds a grudge with Cyric regarding this.

Cyric is undisputedly one of Helm’s primary enemies within the pantheon (although to be fair, Cyric despises all other Gods).

Ridding the land of Cyric’s followers, and potentially even damaging or destroying the Mad God’s power within the pantheon, would almost certainly result in Thorin regaining the loyalty of his church with respect to his current dispute, and ensure the flourishment of his ideals and faith within the realm.

Miz Black:

Cyric’s use of intelligent undead (such as the death knight) is anathema to the Raven Queen, who believes in fate and in meeting one’s death at the appointed time.  She is against the use of life prolonging magic, such as that required to create intelligent undead, or that is used to cheat death such as Wish or Clone when used to prevent the soul from reaching its destination at the appointed hour.  Creatures who are resurrected are not viewed with similar contempt, as they pay a price for their continued existence on the material plane, and are still bound to the natural limitations and lifespan of their mortal shell.  They may even learn a valuable lesson.

As a force of chaos, constantly seeking to disrupt/murder the remainder of the pantheon for his own gains, Cyric and his followers would be diametrically opposed to the Dark Whispers and their creed of stability. Likewise this would run counter to Miz Black’s solidly ingrained beliefs.  The Dark Whispers are likely to kill Cyric’s followers on sight, just as a matter of principle, providing that it does not interfere with their other machinations.  Miz Black’s affiliation with the Dark Whispers would similarly give her good reason to pursue Cyric’s followers, especially now that she has encountered them firsthand and witnessed their agenda.

Finally, preferring to being a hunter rather than the hunted, this role suits Miz Black far better than waiting around for the inevitable retaliatory strike by Cyric’s followers. 

Figgy:

Enraged by the decimation of Gandry’s barbarian tribe, Figgy is quite eager to seek vengeance on his behalf.  It’s also a great way to keep her battlecraft well-honed while simultaneously providing a civil service.  Who says that barbarians can’t contribute to society?

Hieronymus:

Let’s face it… the non-stop rollicking adventure that’s bound to occur when a small, bizarre but ultimately very determined group of unlikely allies challenges the God of Lies and Murder is bound to result in a Saga for the ages.  As a bonus, Hieronymus may eventually be able to add one more area of expertise to his broad repertoire, that of the one time he used to be a God Slayer.

Stormlust Adventuring Company:

Having already dealt a blow to Cyric (and thus drawn his ire), the Stormlust Adventuring Company is likely to have future encounters with Cyric’s followers, who may attempt to ambush the group or thwart their efforts in other ways (negative propaganda, attacking allies, etc).  It would be in the best interest of the group to warn Old Salty of potential trouble with Cyric’s cultists, and to try to keep any business or personal relationships on the down low (ie. Fake a business partner breakup in order to ensure the Stormbeard brothers’ safety, as well as the safety of the High Spirits and its crew.  The Stormbeard Brothers could legally “confiscate” the High Spirits due to “unpaid and outstanding bills”).  Only Old Salty, the Stormbeard brothers and Stormlust would be aware of the truth of the matter.

The Savage Hunt – Resources Pooled

After doing their utmost to hide the truth regarding their allies and interests, Stormlust should go on the offensive.  Having already gained the trust and support of the church of Helm, Stormlust should indicate to Havid, the high priest of Waterdeep, that they intend to take the fight to Cyric. This is both because it seems like the right thing to do and because the best defense is a strong offense.  Such an approach worked in the cave, when the disorganized cult was unprepared for their assault, and it will work even better in the future since they now have the cunning Hieronymus, who was previously a master tactician specializing in cult extermination, to plan their assault.  Knowledge of their directed efforts against Cyric should be limited to Havid and one priest he trusts at each church in order to prevent their purpose from becoming common knowledge.  Their first encounter was coincidental, but future endeavours must appear to be accidental, or conducted in secrecy, until such a time as their activities can no longer be hidden (preferably such a moment never arrives).  At that point, Stormlust could seek to use their reputation to further their cause.

Thorin’s contacts within the church and presence within the party will add a significant amount of authenticity to the group’s efforts.  The respect he earns as his standing within the church grows will only serve to legitimize Stormlust’s actions, even amongst secular authorities who recognize the power of the church of Helm and the influence that he wields as his reputation within the church grows.  It will encourage both church and state alike to afford Stormlust with greater support and deference as the group’s efforts ascend from rumour mill gossip to legendary tales, even if the specifics of their fight against Cyric remain intentionally obscured.  

Miz Black has contacts in every city who can be called upon for information, some of which may pertain to activities being orchestrated by Cyric’s cultists.  The church of Helm might also be able to assist Stormlust by discerning which, if any, of the aforementioned activities are related to Cyric, effectively allowing them to become Bounty Hunters for the church and state.  Move over Van Helsing, Stormlust is on the scene!  As Miz Black continues to master her art, her affiliation with the Dark Whispers may evolve into something far greater, and lead to additional contacts and resources that would drastically improve Stormlust’s odds in the war against Cyric and his ilk.  This last possibility will remain, for the time being, her private knowledge.  Miz Black is also mastering the art of infiltration, which may prove invaluable when gathering information or bypassing security.

Figgy may be able to rouse barbarian tribes against Cyric’s call, should we encounter similar endeavours to that witnessed at Starmount.  In any event, she will be much more at home in the wilderness than most of the group, and capable of acting as an intermediary between Stormlust and the less civilized folk that the group might encounter during the Hunt.  Her knowledge of the great outdoors may permit Stormlust to attack or infiltrate Cyric’s followers from unexpected vectors.

Hieronymus, the font of all knowledge, can bring his vast personal experience in all things to the fore, providing a solid base upon which to plan Stormlust’s assault against Cyric.  His cunning should prevent potentially fatal missteps by the group, helping them to remain one or more steps ahead of their foes.  His love of tales, fabrication and showmanship should also assist in creating a positive narrative for the group, which can be used to offset or deny the use of propaganda by Cyric’s followers.

Stormlust is formidable in battle, each member possessing unique and diverse capabilities which, when combined, are awe inspiring to behold.  As the group’s capability improves and its resources grow, so too shall their potential to wreak havoc amongst Cyric’s faithful.  Eventually, just a well-placed rumour of their presence may be enough to force a shift in Cyric’s activities.  At that point, it will simply be a matter of time before the Mad God’s influence in the realm is directly challenged, either by Stormlust itself or by other Powers who sense his weakened position.

The Proposition – Till Death Do Us Part

What say ye, brothers and sisters of Stormlust.  Shall we rise up against this Madness, seeking our fortune and fate in the felling of a God?

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

My Internet just died.  Posting from my phone. Hope it's up before the game! 

Edit: 1:47 PM and still out. Apparently a good chunk of the city if not all of it has dropped off. Hopefully Shaw can bring it back up soon.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game!!!  

After base jumping into a massive, gaping chasm blind, at night, and penetrating the ziggurat of an ancient god or gods (I'm getting a real Stargate vibe here), we're about to fight the master of night and air as it wakes up under our grubby tomb robbing mitts.  

Nothing bad ever happened by looting a sarcophagus with a perhaps not so dead entity sleeping perhaps not so soundly in it, ever, right?

*Incidentally, I've taken the spell featherfall in many campaigns, and this is the first practical use I've ever gotten out of it lol.

As the creature wakes, Miz Black hops down from the sarcophagus and sends a quickened silent message to Figgy. 

"Be a dear would you?  Help me put the lid back on before he figures out what's happening.  Hopefully he's still a little groggy from his nap!"

Folks,

I was really appreciative of our conversation at session's end.  It made me feel more positive about the game.  However, I'm still facing the problem that I have two nights a week that I'm not in bed early, and currently both are taken up by tabletop games.  This situation is not going to work for me much longer, and I need to make a value decision.  Regretfully, I am deciding to bow out of this game.

I apologize for any instability this creates with the game, and fondly hope the game will continue.

@MadCast: Mandalorian

Aka Stan 😃

I was wondering if the old link to our game still exists for you (The link for the game on Roll20 is HERE.)

I wasn't able to access it, and I was hoping to find the character sheet for my darling assassin, Miz Black.

Hope all is well with MadCast! 

Now that I have a little more time on my hands I'm going to go read the forums on how to re-apply/reactivate membership. 

@MadCast: Munsa 

I remember the last time we were onboard a train... fighting portal wizards, the Cult of Dead Steel, and some T-Rex riding badass ladies.  As before, Shadowcrank is awaiting your arrival at the top of the Monster Train😃

Edited by Angelix

10 hours ago, Angelix said:

@MadCast: Mandalorian

Aka Stan 1f603.png

I was wondering if the old link to our game still exists for you (The link for the game on Roll20 is HERE.)

I wasn't able to access it, and I was hoping to find the character sheet for my darling assassin, Miz Black.

Hope all is well with MadCast! 

Now that I have a little more time on my hands I'm going to go read the forums on how to re-apply/reactivate membership. 

@MadCast: Munsa 

I remember the last time we were onboard a train... fighting portal wizards, the Cult of Dead Steel, and some T-Rex riding badass ladies.  As before, Shadowcrank is awaiting your arrival at the top of the Monster Train1f603.png

Sorry Angelix, I had to delete a lot of campaigns to make room for new ones.

1 hour ago, MadCast: Mandalorian said:

Sorry Angelix, I had to delete a lot of campaigns to make room for new ones.

No worries, Mandalorian (It's going to take me a while getting used to calling you that lol). 

I think I can recreate all the mechanical stuff, and all of the fluffy prose is still here, so I'm good.  Was just looking for a short cut 😃  I normally save that information somewhere myself, but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

Cheers!