MadCast: majorhoward

Whats your favourite book?

A few of my favorites:

-The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Unfortunately, he may be the only author slower than George R. R. Martin at writing, but someday we will get the 3rd book in the series (The Wise Man's Fear being an excellent sequel)

-Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. All of Sanderson's work is worth checking out, but I think this remains my favorite.

-The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

-The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

I've read entirely too many books to have a single favorite, but if I had to single one out as being the most impactful on me as a person, I'd say Shogun by James Clavell.

The protagonist is an english merchant in the ... 1500's I think. He gets stuck in Japan, doesn't speak the language, but is more or less adopted by an upper-middle class family. He slowly learns the language and the culture, and comes to respect and love a completely different way of life. 

I read it when I was 15 or so, and it profoundly changed the way I think about cultures and ways of life that are different from my own. I'm not sure I would be the same person without having read that book, and I highly recommend it.

Mine is definitely The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Most specifically the whole series together as they're all short books and can be read in one normal sized volume.  It has just enough science fiction but not overboard and it may be the only book that has literally made me laugh out loud, which it did several times.

Awards

Currently devouring Stormlight Archives and really enjoying them. Very hard to pick a favorite of all time though. 

Also, my kids are finally taking an interest in Harry Potter so I tend to drop everything and read to them when they ask.

To all people who say that its impossible to pick a favourite i entirely agree, having devoured several thousand books, and always looking for more, i quite appreciate all of the suggestions, and have added the ones i haven't read to my list to do so, Cheers all. 

The Pendragon series (10 book series) has always been one of my favorites

My favorite fiction book is Dune (based on the number of times I've reread it) and a close second being The Martian. 

As far as non-fiction goes, I personally love reading about early United States history. I especially love books about the early US Navy and the two books I can recommend on this subject is Six Frigates by Ian W. Toll ISBN-10: 0-393-05847-6 and Benedict Arnold's Navy  by James L. Nelson ISBN: 0-07-146806-4

Windup Girl  (Paolo Bagoluchi)

Low Town (Polansky)

Wheel of Time Series (Jordan)

Year One (Roberts)

Amped (Wilson)

A Brief History of the Dead (Brockmeier)

The Black Jewel Series  (Bishop)

Firefly (Piers Anthony)

and on and on.  Those are the ones that come to mind first.

Edited by MadCast: drapeta
added authors

Awards

There a too many to pick. Im huge fan of Anne Rice.  Interview with a vampire is one of my favorites.