Self Care: Let's Talk About Mental Illness

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, so this is probably going to be rambling and random, but it's something I've been contemplating and something very personal to me. Sorry if this is hard to follow but I'll do my best to keep my th

Life update: my therapist for the last 8 years is retiring and I have to find a new one which is kind of meh, but otherwise doing alright mentally right now. Going to a neurologist next month to figur

Thank you for this post. You'll find that most of us are at least a little bit cracked. I have more than my share of demons and likewise offer an ear for a good rant, cry, or vent. Abov

• 9 months later...

Life update: my therapist for the last 8 years is retiring and I have to find a new one which is kind of meh, but otherwise doing alright mentally right now. Going to a neurologist next month to figure out my migraines & likely broken neurotransmitters. Still always available for anyone to talk to any time 💜

Also if anyone is interested I have created spreadsheets for myself to track self-care/good habits as well as my chronic migraines and can share blank copies on Google Drive.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MadCast: Wazap said:

Was it hard to look for help?

My primary care provider was able to recommend people to me and programs to join, all within my insurance network. It simply took scheduling that first visit. It took a while to get the initial consultation with the mental health center, as they're generally very busy, but once you get into their program I was offered intensive therapy 5 times a week, or a bi-monthly to ween into it. 

I'm very thankful that every time I've looked for help, whether in CO, CA, or PA that I've been able to follow that same plan of attack -- meet with a primary care provider, get a referral, find a mental health rehabilitation within my insurance network, and sign up for a consultation given the 3mos. (approx.) waiting period.

I imagine in not so developed states (looking at the entire southeast, sans a few populous cities,) it's a bit more difficult to find the proper healthcare people need, simply based upon a lot of spaced out, unpopulous towns. 

1 hour ago, MadCast: Wazap said:

How did you found out you needed help?

I've always been someone who has struggled with depression, and I've been on medications for it simply from a primary care visit. Unfortunately for me it wasn't until I had a mental breakdown about 5 years ago that I finally sought help. I was carrying such a burden of stress, and mental anguish on me, that my brain snapped. Since then I've been such an advocate for mental health care and incredibly open about the struggles it's taken to get to where I am now, but it's 110% worth it.