MadCast: Dez

League of Legends Mafia Feedback Thread

Hey everyone,

I really appreciate all that attended our first LoL Mafia event.

I had a ton of fun and I hope y'all did as well. Major props to everyone arriving early and helping us get started quickly.

We'd really like to hear from you on pros/cons.

---

* I think the biggest thing is if we can get the bot going with 2 mafias on each side, it'll work really well with quickly getting into game. 

* Thoughts on the points structure? With how many missed mafia guesses there were, I'm debating bringing down the points that the mafia can earn.

* Thoughts on a side vote for who the enemy mafia was? Maybe something where your entire team has to agree to a single vote and if you guys get it right, everyone earns a bonus .5 or something?

* Thoughts on the overall structure? I thought ARAMs with 2 re-rolls worked pretty well, but I'd love to hear from you all!

---

Thanks again for being there and helping make this a great event. Looking forward to trying to set this up more in the future!

Awards

2 hours ago, MadCast: Dez said:

Hey everyone,

I really appreciate all that attended our first LoL Mafia event.

I had a ton of fun and I hope y'all did as well. Major props to everyone arriving early and helping us get started quickly.

We'd really like to hear from you on pros/cons.

---

* I think the biggest thing is if we can get the bot going with 2 mafias on each side, it'll work really well with quickly getting into game. 

* Thoughts on the points structure? With how many missed mafia guesses there were, I'm debating bringing down the points that the mafia can earn.

* Thoughts on a side vote for who the enemy mafia was? Maybe something where your entire team has to agree to a single vote and if you guys get it right, everyone earns a bonus .5 or something?

* Thoughts on the overall structure? I thought ARAMs with 2 re-rolls worked pretty well, but I'd love to hear from you all!

---

Thanks again for being there and helping make this a great event. Looking forward to trying to set this up more in the future!

That seems like the opposite thing you would want. If people aren't getting it right, its more rare, making it worth more points. I would think.

In the point structure we were running, the Mafia received 0.5 points for each person that didn't guess them, so it felt like if you were Mafia, you had an advantage on gaining points vs villagers.

That's what I'm interested in tweaking.

Awards

2 minutes ago, MadCast: Dez said:

In the point structure we were running, the Mafia received 0.5 points for each person that didn't guess them, so it felt like if you were Mafia, you had an advantage on gaining points vs villagers.

That's what I'm interested in tweaking.

OH, completely different than we do. Makes sense. 

Ya looking for that balance where if 2-3 people guess you, you are in the average point structure, where 0-1 people guess you, you're more than likely a little ahead, if all 4 guess you, you might be a little behind.

Still sort of working on the point balancing in a game where there are 2 mafias and 10 people total.

Awards

3 hours ago, MadCast: Dez said:

This one is a little minor, but thoughts on keeping the voice chats separate vs grouping everyone together?

I can see pros and cons to both ways.

The best part of being in the same chat is the trash talk against everyone. Also, it gives you a chance as mafia to get into everyone's heads.

I would love to see a fake added to each team that receives a half-point for every vote they receive. So they're purposely trying to act like the mafia, but aren't actually. 

EDIT: So that you don't have to code it that way, just have one person on either team assign it for the other? Include it in a "fun" version of the event to spice things up. I'd think only doing it in 5v5, or 4v4 would be best.

Edited by MadCast: doublestufforeo

The structure was okay ,everything was going smoothly :D 
just hope for it tobe a bit longer since everyone enjoyed it
Also cant wait to go donger 20/3 again but be mafia this time!!!

I know we had me sitting out for the games because we had plenty of people to play but was thinking, maybe we could introduce a special mode where you have 11 people in the game.  5 people per team and a single spectator.  If you haven't guessed where this is heading yet, just think of the one time you get the spectator as the mafia.  The could jump between rooms like I was doing but instead of not giving away too much we could let the spectator "mislead" people and give false information the other team is reporting.  All in all this could add a different aspect to the game by allowing spectators to "play as well".  I would limit the amount of spectator involvement unless you want to increase the amount of mafia as well to accommodate. 

Or we could just talk to CoachRivers about adding a command that lets you manually set the amount of mafia members per game.  Lol, I can just see it now.  5v5 and there are 3 mafia per team or something crazy.

17 hours ago, MadCast: Support Welfare said:

Lol, I can just see it now.  5v5 and there are 3 mafia per team or something crazy.

Maybe have a 5v5, with 4 mafia on a team, and you have to guess who's not it?

Haha. Two many mafias.

I'm definitely adding a bonus point where all 5 of you as a team (including your mafia) can try and come up with a consensus pick on who the mafia is on the enemy team. If you are correct as a team, you all get an extra point.

---

Thinking about the idea of an anti mafia or something.

Awards

I think that everyone should recognize me as the Mafia Boss that I am and pay their respects accordingly.

In all seriousness this was great fun. 

I think that separate rooms is good. It can be too easy for the Mafia to hide quietly in a room of 10 with spectators. 

5 hours ago, MadCast: Dez said:

I'm definitely adding a bonus point where all 5 of you as a team (including your mafia) can try and come up with a consensus pick on who the mafia is on the enemy team. If you are correct as a team, you all get an extra point.

Yes Girl! GIF - YesGirl Yas Confetti GIFs

Edited by MadCast: doublestufforeo

Just want to bump this one up, after running the event for December. 

Do you enjoy Mafia the way it's currently set up? What do you like? Dislikes? Any thoughts for improvement. 

Since the December bracket is up, I figured I'd set up a one-off utilizing any sort of suggestions for improvement, or just for fun. 

Taggin a few regulars to get some opinions. 

@MadCast: Suixide22, @MadCast: Cloud, @MadCast: Gokudera, @MadCast: RacerDelux, @MadCast: StargazerLilli, @MadCast: Qrow, @MadCast: majorhoward, @MadCast: Kitty Stark

I enjoy mafia, but the one problem that i see is that there is very little incentive for the Mafia to lose the game. By that I mean, while there is a potential for more points as the mafia on the losing team (max of 10 pts vs. max of 7 pts on the winning team), the likelihood of being found out as mafia on the winning team drastically goes down if the mafia decides NOT to throw. 

I had the chance to play RL mafia for the first time last week, and the setup is quite different. Teams are smaller, and there is only one mafia. If the mafia's team wins, everyone except for the mafia gets  equal points, including the losing team - which punishes a mafia who failed to throw. 

The other thing that is challenging is how many points the winning team receives vs. the losing team.  The winning team and the winning mafia split between 22-24 points, depending on how the vote goes. The losing team splits 14 points regardless of how the vote goes. I think that the opportunity exists to create a more balanced game by closing this gap. 

My Proposal is as follows:

Provide a total of 16 points to each team.

Losing team Mafia gets 4 points, and an additional 2 points for each person on their team who does not guess them.

Each member of the losing team gets 1 point, and 2 additional points for guessing the mafia. 

Winning team mafia gets 0 points, and an additional 1 point for each person on their team who does not guess them. 

Winning team members get 3 points, and 1 additional point for guessing the mafia. 

Just a thought, and welcome to discuss this or other potential changes.

@MadCast: Suixide22 working off your idea, here's only changing one point to even it out.

If you want to simplify the point system to be a bit more fair. 

Playing as the Mafia, losing the game you are awarded 2 points, and 2 points for each villager who incorrectly guesses for a total of 10 points. The winning Mafia is awarded 0 points and gets 1 point for each villager who incorrectly guesses who the Mafia is for a total of 4 points. 

Villagers are awarded 3 points for winning the round, and 2 points for correctly guessing the Mafia for a total of 5 points. Villagers are awarded 1 point for losing the round, and an additional 1 point for correctly guessing the Mafia for a total of 2 points. 

Max points per round //
Winning Mafia - 10 points
Winning Villager - 5 points
Losing Mafia - 4 points
Losing Villager 2 points

(Not including the consensus vote for the enemy team's Mafia at the end for an extra bonus point.) 

I think giving the villagers the opportunity to keep up in the game, and give more of a reason for them to really try their hardest to squash the Mafia is what would bring the points together a little better.

Unfortunately it's really down to RNG on the bot at this point as to who it decides to be Mafia. Out of a total of 9 games, I was the Mafia at least 3 times, and the first week alone I had two perfect matches. The unfortunate downside to saying "well why don't we just program the bot to not pick the same Mafia in the same week, etc." is that it now makes it 4 people and really gives a strong disadvantage to subsequent Mafias, and a huge advantage to the Villagers.