MadCast: Support Welfare

Gauging interest in a TFT Tournament

Greetings everyone!  I am wanting to run a small TFT tournament for MadCast Members.  To do that I want to cement some rules to follow for the tournament but I'd like to get everyone's feedback so that we can make this as fair as possible (or as fair as an RNG based game can be).  I have some basic format in place but am open to any suggestions as well as any ideas on how to make things a bit more fun.  I don't have a date in mind just yet as all the holidays will be keeping people pretty busy so its likely that it will be after New Years hits.  Let me know what you think and feel free to throw any suggestions in here.

Here is my rough draft on the format for the tournament:

We will do a total of 3 games.

It will not matter if we do a full 8 man group as points are static based upon place that you finish in.

1st - 8 pts

2nd - 6 pts

3rd - 4 pts

4th - 2 pts

5th to 8th - 0 pts

If we do not have enough for a full in house 8 man group we will split into even groups (as best we can) and queue up.  The random people in the games will act as obstacles. They do not count for points if you eliminate them but they will count for overall place.  This means if you queue up in a 5 man group you end up with 3 PUGs. If the 3 random players get 1st, 3rd and 4th then the best anyone in that game can do is get 6 pts.

Example:

1st - PUG #1

2nd - Tournament player #1

3rd - PUG #2

4th - PUG #3

5th to 8th - Tournament player #2 - #5

The one to get the most points out of everyone in the tournament will receive a mystery skin from me.

1. If we're gonna do a tournament, there should be a sign up, plain and simple, so don't run into the whole "we don't have enough people" issue

2. First place in a TFT match should feel more rewarding than just 2 more points than second place.  I think myself and @MadCast: Lunalesk have proven how easy it is to be in the top 4 in most games, so I agree 5th - 8th shouldn't be worth points.  However, going from the 2nd - 4th places to 1st, requires quite a bit more skill and focus, not to mention a strong game plan for a build.  Hence, it should feel rewarding when you finish 1st.  I would bump a first place win up to 10 points, and leave the others where they are.

3. If you die to wolves, you forfeit.  < - #TheMikeRule  :D

Edited by MadCast: Craiden

Awards

On 11/14/2019 at 7:38 PM, MadCast: Support Welfare said:

1st - 8 pts

2nd - 6 pts

3rd - 4 pts

4th - 2 pts

5th to 8th - 0 pts

As far as the points formatting, I do think these could be tweaked a little bit. I'm not sure if you're aware, but LoL eSports hosted a casual tournament before they officially released Set 2. Here's the point where they break down their point structure, as well as bonus point challenges that anyone could go for regardless of the place they were in. This helped keep a somewhat wildcard element in that someone could get 7th place but still have a really specific comp that gave them an extra 4 or 5 points.

I'm open to upping the points for 1st but I do feel that 4 point difference between 1st and 2nd is a bit much so I think I'll make it 3 points between 1st, 2nd and 3rd which would look like:

1st  -  10 pts

2nd  -  7 pts

3rd  -  4 pts

4th  -  2 pts

5th to 8th  -  no points

This way you still get a big point reward for coming in 1st or 2nd but not so massive that its crushing.  I have also looked into the video that Kitty mentioned and I do kind of like the idea of side quests to reward points outside of what place you get.  The only thing I want to be careful with here is that they are easily identifiable at the end game screen and shown in your team comp.  Basically make them a bit more simple over all.  Things like having a full GOLD level origin (9 member buff), although that can be augmented by spatula items.  Either way its pretty easy to see for the most part.  Or finish a game with NO buff over bronze level.  Stuff like that.  I might make it manditory to take end of match screen shots of your comp if we end up going with more complicated tasks for points.  Something to consider and work out at least.  If the tournament happens there will be a sign up for it and people will be held to showing up if they sign up.  The tournament also wont happen until after the holidays (after New Years) as holidays always get in the way of things.

I do like the ideas guys.  Keep them coming.

Just bringing thing thread back to people's attention.  I will absolutely have a sign up for the event and will definitely be asking for streaming as it does not require anything special other than a decent internet connection.  I am planning to do this after the holidays as I don't want to overlap anything with Mike's tournament and holidays are hectic for everyone.  I'm also looking for any suggestions on specific "bonus point" team comps that will be easy enough to identify.  At this point I'm not planning on having different point values for completing different goals.  I'm looking to just have a straight forward "if you complete X you get Y points".  This will keep it from getting too complicated and more focused on having fun.  So simpler things like having a board in play of a multiple element level 1 buffs (inferno, water, electric, etc.) so like 2 water, 3 inferno.  Things like that and I could use suggestions.  I'm also thinking these objectives will be worth 2 points.  This will make them the same point value as 4th place but because multiple people can earn them each match (including 1st place theoretically) I think it will even out.  The point reward for them wont be high enough to give a major advantage but will widen the field a bit.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, Kalilstrom (Kal) said:

Interested, though its been a decade since I played the small amount of games. Consider me point fodder

Realised last night that this is about Team Fight Tactics when I assumed it was Team Fortress 2.

Backs away from thread

Awards