MadCast: JigglesTheFett

Headquarters Creation Discussion!

So, I have been perusing the Acquisitions Incorporated book, primarily it's section on group Headquarters and what comes with that. I really feel like something prefab won't work too well with the assortment of characters we have in our organization. With that, Munsa has asked me to take the lead on getting this part of it going, so here we go.

I'm suggesting we build our own. This way, everyone can have a little something they want and/or need as we progress in its development. Training grounds for the warriors, a library for the scholars, a laboratory for the alchemists, a tavern for the drunks, etc. On top of this, we can give it a bit of a personal flair for our Org, which I think would fit us and our Patron all that much more.

Keep in mind that we don't need to just have a random building in the middle of town either. The book gives suggestions such as a giant statue, or a large carriage (which may not be feasible with our current member count), or even something like a lighthouse or a huge ship. The possibilities are endless.

The book also has examples for hirelings, both skilled and unskilled, as well as positions within the organization that PCs can take themselves and all associated costs for being able to have the benefits, as well as potential income-generating activities!

On a bit of a meta note, us building something new and grand in town could be seen as a good thing to the townsfolk. We're committed to not just helping rebuild what was there and what was destroyed, but we're interested in creating a new, stronger presence as well! It could definitely show that we are invested in the community more than just to use them as money-givers because they need some monsters killed or a prodigal demon-summoning son found. We could even buy a chunk of the city that is beyond basic repair and build something new on top of it.

This could (and should) be a big discussion if we go this route. I am willing to talk to anyone about the different features we could have (ala Acquisitions Incorporated) and keep track of any suggestions/ideas that may come forth from this. After a chunk of time, and after we have received enough ideas and money to fund what we want to do (Donations will still be tracked in the original group goal thread here: https://www.madcastgaming.com/forums/topic/26890-chapter-one-group-goal/ )

If you want to take a look at a version of the book that is JUST the information about the Headquarters, it's features and the positions PCs can play within the organization, check out Prince's FM+ only post here: https://www.madcastgaming.com/forums/topic/26940-acquisitions-incorporated-players-guide/

For Drake, a Forge and a magical workshop are really all he needs. Maybe a shooting range, but that's secondary and far down the list.

I’m still kinda lost on how money went last session. Titian donates everything he receives to the building effort or local charities if they exist. I’ll talk to munsa about numbers and options and post when it’s figured out. 

If we are making space for everything, Titian would want a small temple to eldo-death designed to operate as a place of reflection (not sermonizing) and soup kitchen/charity for those in need.

Perhaps an unassuming temple with attached kitchen and some benches in a zen garden. 

Ogma isn't committed to rebuilding shite, I move for a lone castle, within striking distance of the town, preferable with a bar, forge, and training area, in that order. 

He can sleep in the bar.

Tee does not need much as far as quarters go. A room with a window, a bed, and a locked door. A dinning hall supplied with good food is a must, he has acquired a taste for cheese during the first encounter with Trithemius. In contrast to his humble lodging needs he is not a big fan of being stuck within the confines of a cities walls and is drawn to the idea of mobile quarters. A simple ship would work but he wants to dream big. An airship would be awesome or a moving castle however the mechanics of that would work.

I don't think a building with a uniform and consistent structure will work for our organization, everyone wants something different, it should be a mash up of different rooms of different architectural designs.

Kwame would be of the mind that we have a stationary base that is both easy to defend as well as expand. He'd think it would make a good amount of sense to have it in-between larger cities inorder to have solid trade routes, and offer a way to grow the local economy in a small city to future endear them to us and our cause.

36 minutes ago, MadCast: The Prince said:

Kwame would be of the mind that we have a stationary base that is both easy to defend as well as expand. He'd think it would make a good amount of sense to have it in-between larger cities inorder to have solid trade routes, and offer a way to grow the local economy in a small city to future endear them to us and our cause.

The issue is that I believe the city we're in is basically the edge of the frontier. Everything past that is mostly unsettled (or settled by fascist goblinoids).

So we go the other way, I get the impression by the notable lack of  a central government that we are not in a city state.
If one were to ask @MadCast: Munsa, would it be possible to make a history check or something of the sort in order to discern trading routes or political structures, or something such as that?

Edited by MadCast: majorhoward

1 hour ago, MadCast: JigglesTheFett said:

The issue is that I believe the city we're in is basically the edge of the frontier. Everything past that is mostly unsettled (or settled by fascist goblinoids).

Yup. That's not that big of an issue tbh...

33 minutes ago, MadCast: majorhoward said:

So we go the other way

...because we can always do ^that. Don't have to be stuck in a single place where we are right now.

Sol is unused to being in town and particularly amongst crowds. If the structure is such it would increase his wish to be in a higher altitude, the top of the tower or a room on top of the building, or close to the top. For his room he would want a fireplace, armchair and a bed. A simple chest would be sufficient for his possessions, perhaps a shelf or two in time. He would be cold a lot so his room would have throws, on the walls, chair and bed.

Sol is wary of how the idea of a home appeals but while wary wants to contribute. He would benefit from an access to a library with books on religion, medicine, herbalism, alchemy and animals (handling and generally). He would like a place of solitude to meditate, perhaps a nook in the library or garden. He would prefer a temple or altar, the idea of a soup kitchen or other place to give back. Lastly he would need a place to keep his birds, a pigeon and dove loft, ideally not far from his room on the roof.

The idea of relocating to a new area is one that feels him with anxiety, he is just considering settling and the thought of elsewhere is not something he is currently comfortable with. That said a mobile base, particularly an airship is an idea that fills him with joy.

12 hours ago, MadCast: Kal said:

He would benefit from an access to a library with books on religion, medicine, herbalism, alchemy and animals (handling and generally).

But how does he read them? 🤔

I think overall that to satisfy the majority here, our new base should:

• Be outside the city limits enough to not be under constant scrutiny of the guards or government BUT be less than 4 hours away on horseback/carriage so we can respond quickly to trouble, gather information, and resupply or trade regularly. This also allows us you respond to the countryside/frontier better than the town guard and we can gain long-term loyalty and support.
  • Have a more easily defensible and sturdy structure overall, akin to a fort or small castle vs a sprawling mansion (stone vs wood).
  • Have a layout where there are different wings of the building for serving different purposes. The west wing could be for the forge and armory, training grounds, briefing room, treasury, library, and infirmary. East wing could be for the kitchens, alchemy, dining hall with a bar, event room with a stage for the bards, and our personal quarters. We can have a garden maintained within a walled-off courtyard behind the building where there are altars or a small shrine/temple structure. There can be a modest stable with at least a dozen horses for a small party to be able to travel as needed with some to spare.20200205_194857.jpg
  • Be populated by at least a half-dozen servants/employees/whatever, to which we also would need living spaces for them.
  • Be near the coast for future opportunities such as our own dockyard to open more trading and travel opportunities.

I think this fits with what Sol would be happy with. Though a room set away and preferably high with roof access would be cool!

Somewhat concerned that the Alchemy lab is between the kitchen and the dining hall, but Im sure it will all work out fine

I'd still personally like to see a few ideas of something a little more 'campus like'. Everything in one building just seems cluttered and claustrophobic. Why not have a piece of land with multiple buildings? One is quarters, one is Martial stuff, one is magic stuff, one is entertainment, etc.

55 minutes ago, MadCast: JigglesTheFett said:

I'd still personally like to see a few ideas of something a little more 'campus like'

I am currently working this out on paper as well and will share it when I finish the layout.

A campus, is it?

It is fitting that such an eclectic group would have an eclectic headquarters.  We just need a catalyst, and I think I have just the thing.

I had not planned on making more content prior to chapter 2, but it occurs to me that there is currently a bunch of unusable space within the city, what with the chasm.  If there was a potent magical device lying dormant in some lost reliquary that could change that situation and some enterprising souls retrieved it, I'm sure they would be rewarded for their efforts with a nice parcel of that restored land. 

20 minutes ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

A campus, is it?

It is fitting that such an eclectic group would have an eclectic headquarters.  We just need a catalyst, and I think I have just the thing.

I had not planned on making more content prior to chapter 2, but it occurs to me that there is currently a bunch of unusable space within the city, what with the chasm.  If there was a potent magical device lying dormant in some lost reliquary that could change that situation and some enterprising souls retrieved it, I'm sure they would be rewarded for their efforts with a nice parcel of that restored land. 

Boy, that doesn't sound ominous or exciting at all! /s

Here's the campus-style I came up with, and obviously things can be rearranged a bit more easily in this case. The gardens are in the larger area between the library and event hall.

EDIT: hair removed to spare anyone else the suffering that Munsa went through

living d&d campus map.jpg

Edited by MadCast: Kitty Stark

4 hours ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

I want to know how many other people swiped at the "7" trying to get that hair-like line off their screen.

I didn't even notice that before you pointed it out. Can not unsee.

Awards