MadCast: Munsa

On Endings, Stress, Failure, and Success

My fellow Tabletopping MadCasters,

Front end, worst end:  I cannot keep up my current pace with LD&D.  I am becoming increasingly more irritable during sessions, it is becoming harder and harder to create content, and the daunting task of rewarding two dozen people's efforts and creativity is running me mentally ragged.  I had hoped that we would run LD&D through this year, but I am not in a position where I can see that end out.

On a personal level, my work schedule has become increasingly erratic and stressful due to the situation we all have to live with now regarding COVID and the professional and social consequences of such.  My wife and I also work opposite schedules, and the only times I have to run LD&D are increasingly butting into the time I have to spend with her.  

On a community level, what began as a simple little experiment that I thought would struggle to reach double digit or so folks evolved quickly into a massive undertaking that I was not prepared for.  I want to take this opportunity to thank Jiggles, Kal, Prince, Khaos, Voshay, and Starlight for stepping up to contribute to this undertaking, and I am confident we would not have had the months of entertainment we did without their efforts.  They came into a situation that was not designed from the outset for a team to handle, and tolerated my combination of apathetic manager and frenzied artist long enough to deliver some tremendous sessions, and they have my heartfelt gratitude and thanks.

To all the players of LD&D, you have my most sincere apologies for such an abrupt cancellation.  For the participation, the effort, and the tolerance at moments that did not bring fun, you all have my appreciation.  I am sorry that LD&D fell short of many of the wonderful long term ideas that all of you had for your characters and the story.  

I am heartened to see so many people forming groups of their own.  It was my hope from the outset that LD&D would serve more as a catalyst than a long-lasting fixture of MadCast (thought not ending this early or in this manner).  I have enjoyed being able to help those of you who have asked questions about your own games you are or would like to run, and would make myself available as a resource for anyone else who wants to go down that path.  

That leads me to the question of "What's next?"

For LD&D:  Some stories do well with no ending or resolution.  I do not think tabletop ventures are members of that club.  I would like to run a final session/guildhall where those who are interested can attend and we can discuss everything in my notes that has been hinted at but not revealed, discuss resolution to various characters and the story thus far, and act as rules referee if any individual characters or groups need to take it to The Anvil or Colosseum to hash out who is the biggest and baddest.  This is something I would like to do for any who wish to attend.

For my contribution to MadCast Tabletop:  Once I've had a break from creating tabletop content for a couple weeks, what I do have the itch to do is assemble one group of 5-6 MadCasters at a time, run a short story of 4-6 sessions on a 1/week basis, then take a couple weeks off to create and do it again.  One of the things absent from LD&D was a "Session Zero", where players and DM sit down and create characters together, going beyond the PCs and designing the vague outlines of the setting and plot.  I would like to have that experience with many of you whom I've played with over the last half-year.

For Tabletop @ MadCast: I don't know what it will look like, but I know it will be here.  I look forward to sitting at a table with the community again.  I look forward to new systems being brought to the community.  I look forward to new players coming to the community.  I look forward to, in the fullness of time, working with the team for the next large scale tabletop project that comes to MadCast, taking what we have learned through this experiment and trying it again-but-better.  

For any of you who are disappointed or angry at this announcement, I understand you and hear you.  For people who are newer and have not had the chance to play much, I especially feel for you.  For those of you who have put in the time to play or run LD&D, I thank you.  

The immense success of LD&D beyond what its original creator could even have hoped for is a testament to your creativity, enthusiasm, and experience. Thank you for opening so many more people up to the idea of D&D and tabletop RPGs in general, and for holding the helm for so long even when you were probably ripping your magnificent hair out. I will miss the adventures of Interlopers Incorporated, but I know that a lot of the comraderie and support between characters will stick around in our community and that is an immeasurable benefit. I'll also happily tell any future DMs that Rat Ranger is the best character class, period.

Munsa, you helped me get back into tabletop after a several year hiatus, then you allowed me to assist with this grand undertaking and I'm immensely grateful for it. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this hobby and how much I enjoyed being on both sides of the table. I appreciate everything you've done, and I'm with you in any way you need. I will also be here to help move Tabletop into the future!

Thank you.

My dear ginger-bearded, nat-1 rolling DM, thank you for your efforts,and for bringing me in , and coaching me along, and introducing me to a new passion and a half of MadCast that I might have not otherwise met.

I appreciate all that you've done for the community with LD&D, and for allowing the opportunity for those of us who played to get into it. It was an absolute pleasure and a blast to play D&D with MadCast.

I look forward to the future, but please focus on yourself and allow yourself some restoration and sanity.

Aw, Munsa, you are amaing, and I hope this time of rest will rejuvenate you. You definitely deserve it. If LD&D is over but the tabletops still remain aplenty, I really hope I can join a one shot with Voshay in the future. Social anxiety and all permitting, as you know. ;) Everyone in this community is so abundantly and wonderfully creative. It is inspiring to see it, even though I may have not participated. 

As far as the meeting after town hall, I will be unfortunately unable to attend either said wrap up or the town hall before, as such, I would highly appreciate a summary if anybody is willing. 

as to whosoever is the biggest and baddest, Ogma stands for any challenge issued.