Creating a dnd spell and I need some advice

This is the spell I have so far. I have no idea what level to make this spell and even then I think it will need tweaking. I think it would be a niche spell that could be very useful in certain situations. 

Whipol’s Temporary Replacement

N level Abjuration

Casting Time: 1 Action

Range: 30ft

Components: V, S, M (something that used to belong to the target)

Duration: 1 Round

Classes: Wizard (for now) 

A puff of white smoke explodes beneath you as you and a willing ally in range switch positions until the end of your next turn. Those affected by the spell return to their position right before the spell was cast. 

At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of n level or higher, the duration of the spell increases one round for each slot level above n.

Posted (edited)

Whipol’s Temporary Replacement

1st level Conjuration

Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action

Range: 30ft

Components: V, S, M (something that used to belong to the target)

Duration: 1 Round

Classes: Wizard (for now) 

A puff of white smoke explodes beneath you as you and a willing ally in range switch positions until the beginning of your next turn. Those affected by the spell return to their position right before the spell was cast.

Here's what I came up with after talking to some friends about it. 

Edited by MadCast: Icarus

I recommend the following tweaks:

Material Reagent: Any object resembling a boomerang  (Reagent not used up, as it returns to caster after use)

If cast as a 1st level, keep the description as is.

If cast as a 2nd level spell or higher, caster may choose to make the transition permanent, providing that the ally is willing.

3rd level spells are fairly powerful.  You would be giving up the ability to fly, or cast a fireball, in order to swap positions.  I could not see most folks willing to use this instead of their other spells for a 3rd level cast in most circumstances, especially given the availability of Misty Step.

My reasoning is as follows:

Misty Step is a 2nd level spell, and provides a 30ft escape as a bonus action. 

The only clear benefit to your spell in most situations is that it can be cast at 1st level, but with more limited effect.

Your spell is something that is arguably similar in effect to Misty Step, but with the limitation that it will not work if the ally is not agreeable, and cannot be cast if there is no ally around.

Your spell has the potential to put a caster somewhere less than ideal, whereas Misty Step has no such limitation.  Both spells share the same range, so there's no advantage there. 

This spell is also an action, rather than the bonus action that Misty Step uses, making it more punishing to use. EDIT:  I just noticed that you changed your description to using a bonus action as well, so ignore this point.

I believe that when you weigh the Pros vs the Cons (can use at level 1, vs everything else) that it would be balanced as a permanent effect at level 2.

An alternative to my suggestion above would be to keep your description as is, but that if cast at level 5 or above, the caster and ally may swap positions once each round as a bonus action (by the caster) for the duration of the spell, the range of the spell would increase to 60ft, the spell would increase in duration to 10 minutes, and the caster and his ally would remain where ever they are when the spell expires.

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

So something very similar existed in 3.5 called Benign Transposition. I don't know if this helps you balance it against porting something to 5e.

Benign Transposition

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Wizard 1, Sorcerer 1,
Components: V,
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: Two willing creatures of up to Large size
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Calling out the arcane words, you suddenly stand where your companion was, and he has taken your place, outside the reach of his foes.

Two target creatures, of which you can be one, instantly swap positions. Both subjects must be within range. Objects carried by the creatures (up to the creatures' maximum loads) go with them, but other creatures do not, even if they are carried. The movement is instantaneous and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

I like the idea of it being a temporary shift, but it should be a bonus action.  The option of using two spell slots and some sorcerer points (for example, substitute whatever class mechanic you wish) to safely execute a touch or short range spell and then returning to safety is an interesting addition to an arcane caster's arsenal.