Many of you guys have gotten involved with the new PokeTwo bot on the Discord server and it's been a lot of fun! It's a great bridge in the community as more experienced Pokémon fans help newer players learn about all the different Pokémon and what they can do. That being said, the system for move sets and battling can get quite complicated, and even veterans of the series may be a bit confused by how the bot works or some functionality that is missing or different.

This post is mainly meant to help new players understand the basics of a Pokémon's information and how that influences the decisions you may make when training it. I will be updating this guide over time with progressive knowledge that you can always come back and reference. Bulbapedia is also a fantastic resource for all things Pokémon and has way more information than I’ll be covering here. For this guide I'm going to use my Golem, Meowstic, and Darkrai as references. 

This guide is going to (eventually) cover:

You can post questions here or reach out in the poke-chat and poke-hub channels for more information on anything.

Edited by MadCast: Kitty Stark

What are the 6 main stats and where do they come from?

A Pokémon’s combat ability is determined by their base stats, Individual Values (IVs), Effort Values (EVs), natures, and their level. There are several different calculators you can find online to help get into the nitty-gritty details of any Pokémon’s stats, but that’s pretty advanced and outside of competitive battling settings they’re not really important. For the sake of using the bot effectively I’m only going to explain base stats, IVs, and natures. 

There are six permanent stats: Hit Points (HP) determine how much damage a Pokémon can take; Attack (ATK) determines the damage that physical moves do and Defense (DEF) determines how well a physical move is resisted; Special Attack (SP. ATK) and Special Defense (SP. DEF) work similarly for special moves; and Speed helps decide who gets to attack first in a battle. You can look up any Pokémon in the Pokédex and find out what its Base Stats are, which are the minimum possible stats they will have at level 100. Unevolved Pokémon are always weaker than their evolved forms, and Legendary Pokémon tend to have above-average stat totals. 

unknown.png  unknown.png  unknown.png

From looking at these you can see that Golem is best at ATK and DEF, while Meowstic is more of a “glass cannon” with high SPEED and SP. ATK. Darkrai is also good at SP. ATK and SPEED, but is a legendary and has a better base stat total of 600 versus Meowstic with only 466.

Another factor in the primary stats is a Pokémon’s IVs and nature. Every time the bot spawns a Pokémon in it randomly rolls an IV for each stat, between 0 and 31, which is added to their maximum base stats. The total of these IVs out of a possible 186/186 is what determines their IV percentage, which is something you can use at a glance to help decide if a Pokémon has good stats or not. Keep in mind that a Pokemon rated at 25% could have one max IV and another at 16 which may still make it viable depending on whether the IVs are on top of high base stats. This also means that a legendary Pokémon can be weaker than a normal Pokémon if it has much lower IVs. My Meowstic is actually almost as strong as my Darkrai due to the IV percentages they both have.

unknown.png  unknown.png  unknown.png

Natures affect two stats as Pokémon level up, and each unique nature boosts one stat while reducing another (with the exception of HP). There is a total of 25 different natures, where 5 are natures that technically have no effect because they increase and decrease the same stat. The bot also has mints you can purchase to change your Pokémon’s nature to be one that works best for the stats that you want. The Lonely nature boosts ATK while lowering DEF, Bashful is a neutral nature, and Naive boosts SPEED while lowering SP. DEF.

Stay tuned for my next post where I’ll elaborate on additional temporary stats like Evasion and Accuracy, as well as in-battle status effects like poison and sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

In-Battle Stats and Statuses

In addition to the 6 base stats a Pokémon has, there are also stats called Evasion and Accuracy that determine the likelihood that a move will hit. Both of these are at 100% for a Pokémon  at the beginning of a battle, although specific moves such as Fissure may still have less that 100% accuracy by default. Increasing your own evasion or lowering the enemy's accuracy are common strategic ways to win a battle. 

Another way to influence your opponent's ability to cause damage is to inflict a status condition using a move. A Pokémon can only be afflicted with one status condition at any time, and you cannot "overwrite" an existing condition with a new one. The five standard conditions are: 

• Burn (BRN) - causes a small amount of damage at the end of every turn and halves the damage done by physical moves. Fire-type Pokémon are immune to being burned.
  • Freeze (FRZ) - causes a Pokémon to be frozen and unable to use most moves. If hit by a fire-type move they are unfrozen. There is also a 20% chance at the end of each turn to thaw out. Ice-type Pokémon are immune to being frozen.
  • Paralyze (PAR) - causes a Pokémon's speed to be lowered and has a 25% chance each turn of being fully paralyzed and unable to use a move. Electric-type Pokémon are immune to being paralyzed.
  • Poison (PSN) - causes a small amount of damage at the end of every turn. Certain moves will worsen the condition to badly poisoned which steadily increases the damage at the end of every turn. Poison-type and steel-type Pokémon are immune to being poisoned.
  • Sleep (SLP) - causes a Pokémon to be unable to use most moves. The effect lasts for 1 to 3 turns and a Pokémon will be able to use a move on the same turn that it awakens.

When you battle using the PokeTwo Bot your Pokémon are automatically healed at the end of every fight so that you do not need to buy items. In normal Pokémon games you can use certain items while in a battle to remove status conditions.

My next post will explain Pokémon types and how to use them to your advantage~

Posted (edited)

What are Pokémon types and type matchups?

image.png.38dfd111d08568ca6bf535bcde24330c.png

Types are a categorization used for all Pokémon and their moves and originated from the idea of elements in pop culture, such as in "Avatar: The Last Airbender". As of Generation 6 (Pokémon X & Y) there are 18 defined types as seen above. Pokémon themselves can be have one or two types. Charmander is a pure fire-type, but Bulbasaur is a grass-poison type. The type(s) that a Pokémon has determines what other types they resist or are weak to. Moves only have one type, and that determines the amount of damage they do to a Pokémon as well as whether it gets the Same-Type-Attack-Bonus (STAB), which is a damage multiplier applied when a Pokémon uses a move that it shares a type with. Certain moves are not affected by STAB, such as Night Shade or the effect of status moves. You can reference this Type Matchup Chart to find out how well a move will do against a certain Pokémon type in a battle.

image.thumb.png.6297a5958200d9eb37a341ee12685e91.png

If a move is super-effective against a Pokémon it will do twice the amount of damage. Likewise, if it is not very effective the damage is cut in half, and in a handful of cases a move may not do any damage at all. If a Pokémon has two types and is hit by a move that is effective against both (i.e. rock move vs a flying-bug) it will take quadruple damage. If a move is strong against one type and weak against the other it will break even and do regular damage. All of these multipliers are separate from extra damage with STAB, but a move that does no damage will still do nothing even if STAB applies to it.

Edited by MadCast: Kitty Stark