So Valheim, its pretty fun:

A battle-slain warrior, the Valkyries have ferried your soul to Valheim, the tenth Norse world. Besieged by creatures of chaos and ancient enemies of the gods, you are the newest custodian of the primordial purgatory, tasked with slaying Odin’s ancient rivals and bringing order to Valheim.

Your trials begin at the disarmingly peaceful centre of Valheim, but the gods reward the brave and glory awaits. Venture forth through imposing forests and snow-capped mountains, explore and harvest more valuable materials to craft deadlier weapons, sturdier armor, viking strongholds and outposts. Build a mighty longship and sail the great oceans in search of exotic lands … but be wary of sailing too far...

Key features:

• Huge procedurally-generated world - explore and inhabit mystical lands, from mysteriousforests to imposing snow-topped mountain ranges and stunning meadows, complete with their own creatures of legend to battle and wildlife to hunt.
  • Co-op PvE (2-10 players) - - Whether you want to brave the lands alone or venture with trusted allies, Valheim supports independent, player-hosted servers and unlimited world creation. We recommend playing co-op with 3-5 players.
  • Punishing dodge & block based combat system with a wide range of weapons
  • Build & sail ships - from flimsy rafts to imposing warships, build legendary vessels to conquer the seas and discover new lands.
  • Summon and defeat vengeful primordial bosses of myth and legend, and collect trophies to progress and craft new powerful items
  • Flexible house and base building system - raise mead halls, farms, settlements outposts, castles and more.
  • Intuitive item crafting - forge the finest weapons and armour, and craft food and mead.
  • Dedicated server- for players who want to run a persistent server.

I've been playing a bunch during the day and am considering getting a dedicated server if people want to play, hmu in the comments!

Currently 20USD, its an early access game with an impressive amount of content and a small dedicated team of devs. Like 6 of them, they take their time with development but there are currently 5 biomes and 5 bosses to beat. I find it a chill way to pass the time and would be happy to stream it if you are curious and want to see what its about.

Been a busy week but thanks for all the replies! I will look in to this more over the weekend and post what I find.

A cursory look indicates its a little over $10 USD a month and I would probably look at a server based in NYC.

FYI I suspect their netcode is.....lacking. Being around 4 player starts to lag the game though its playable in my experience/opinion, this gets worse near a lot of structures. But Ive run with 3 people close regularly and its been fine. 

Oh @MadCast: DezI just saw your message in Discord, add me on steam with 45766888. Been playing a new server with new characters with two other mates. Just did 2nd boss this morning.

For server I am thinking of going with GPortal and will grab 1 month from the start but can go for the 3 month if we really feel this has legs and will run. For server location perhaps Dallas unless there are UK folk that want to join, in which case DC?

https://www.g-portal.com/us/en/gameserver/valheim-server-hosting

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.g-portal.com

I'd be solid with Dallas or D.C.

I'd personally vote for start with a month, let's see how we like it. Looks like 3 months only saves like 46 cents a month, so it's not a big deal. If we like it, I'll buy the next 3 months after your first month.

Also, sent you an inv on Steam.

Ug dog ripped up his dew claw yesterday and had to be sedated today to have it dealt with so am behind on things but yes, will grab the 1month and post the details tomorrow! Thanks @MadCast: Dez!

Now my hours in game are going to be mostly limited to the daytime PST.

We will have 5 servers so I would suggest that we could build on each as we want, seperating to go to them if we have enough players, >3-4. 

I think we should all start new characters and have a rule where materials cannot be brought from other servers that are not part of the MadCast 5 that come with the G-Portal deal.

Any thoughts or other suggested guidelines?

Awww poor pup! Hope they are okay!!

Ya, I agree with that. No mats from other servers for sure and I like the idea of bringing in a new character. My main already has 71 run lol.

Do we want to have like 1 main server and then 1 that's just building or something?

Oh, one other thing @MadCast: Kal

Thoughts on this Valheim Plus mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

On a server, if it's on the server and all the players have it, you can share maps and stuff. I've read on the Valheim subreddit that people like that, but I've never played multiplayer, so I don't know if that's important or not. Your call ultimately.

Also, last suggestion, I don't know if it's even possible on a dedicated server, but if everyone could avoid using console or activating cheats, would be appreciated. I'm not sure if/when they'll add Steam Achievements, but I'd imagine if they do, anything done on a world with cheats active probably won't count. 

9 hours ago, MadCast: Dez said:

Awww poor pup! Hope they are okay!!

Do we want to have like 1 main server and then 1 that's just building or something?

Came through it fine if drugged up and wearing a cone poor thing.

Yeah I was thinking 2 normal servers, 1 build server where you can use cheat commands and just build. Normal server and a spare in case we have a lot of people who want to play at the same time.

9 hours ago, MadCast: Dez said:

Oh, one other thing @MadCast: Kal

Thoughts on this Valheim Plus mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

On a server, if it's on the server and all the players have it, you can share maps and stuff. I've read on the Valheim subreddit that people like that, but I've never played multiplayer, so I don't know if that's important or not. Your call ultimately.

Yeah I have looked in to it and can go with it but was feeling vanilla initially. The servers are advertised as 'Inclusive with the mod: ValheimPlus'  so hopefully we can run it on just one server should people want. Its a lot of admin side controls to tweak the experience to make it easier, more convenient or the opposite.

8 hours ago, MadCast: Dez said:

Also, last suggestion, I don't know if it's even possible on a dedicated server, but if everyone could avoid using console or activating cheats, would be appreciated. I'm not sure if/when they'll add Steam Achievements, but I'd imagine if they do, anything done on a world with cheats active probably won't count. 

Yeah, that would only be on the build server  if people want a build server. Though I can look in to how that effects things, i.e. tied to a character that does it etc

Edited by MadCast: Kal

53 minutes ago, MadCast: Dez said:

Sounds great. Thanks Kal!

I'll probably do a completely separate character for the build server just in case. I'm a steam achievement lover and don't want to miss out if they do make them for Valheim one day ;)

Totally understandable! I will try and find a definitive answer before we launch the build server.

So Dez and will launch tomorrow, I should have the servers arranged before 5pm EST in case any of you want to start with us tomorrow evening. May start at 6pm EST to give people time to get home and eat etc 

@MadCast: doublestufforeo  @MadCast: Nevard  @MadCast: Apoz

Happy to discuss having events so we can take on bosses together or for big builds/resource runs and so on! (Though evening PST availability for me needs to be arranged in advance 😬)

As a note the boss for each area rewards crucial stuff for advancement to the next biome and we can run bosses as many times as we want in each server.

As a note, I will be doing my best to avoid giving away spoilers unless asked in voice chat or DM :) (I am about to take on the 5th and last boss per current content and have played with a lot of different folx to help them and get help)

Servers paid for, will activate in a few hours!

@MadCast: Dezcurrently no steam achievements for Valheim, cheats can only be activated by server admin for multiplayer. If we want a build server then would suggest a character just for that server.

Server is up and running, details in the spoilered image below. 

@MadCast: Dez we only have the one server so a lot of the above i moot. Apologies I was confusing an offering from one server provider with G-Portal.

Spoiler

That image was annoying but this you can copy paste

After making/selecting your character click start then go to the 'Join' tab, then click the 'Join IP' button. Enter the following:

51.81.109.100:30100

Then the PW

29e010bc

Some good runs into the Black Forest biome with @MadCast: Deztonight!

Got through a couple of crypts and have what we need to sort out smelting ore, hopefully tomorrow we shall start on a main base away from the start location. @MadCast: doublestufforeocould use your preference for building should you be available and so inclined!

Surtling Core - Valheim Wiki