Sign in to follow this  
Eternia

Champion: Skarner, the Crystal Vanguard

Champion Sneak Peek:

Link: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/champion-sneak-peek-skarner-crystal-vanguard

Skarner-Teaser2_thumb.jpg

Mechanics Preview:

Link: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/skarner-mechanics-preview

Today, I wanted to give a little sneak peek into the gameplay behind Skarner, the Crystal Vanguard.

The idea behind Skarner is to get on people, stay on them, and really capture that inevitability of being run down by a predatory creature. Additionally, we wanted to avoid an instant gap closing mechanic so there's appropriate counter-play.

The primary way Skarner accomplishes this mission is through his ability Crystal Slash and his passive, Energize. Crystal Slash does a quick, point-blank AOE and empowers the ability if it hits. Empowered casts will do bonus damage and slow (making successive uses really useful for sticking to his target). His passive causes his spells to cool down faster each time he auto-attacks - a natural combination with the empowered Crystal Slash.

Properly utilizing Skarner's passive is central to his gameplay as a whole. For example, Skarner's ability Crystalline Exoskeleton puts up a shield that grants additional movement and attack speed while it's up. The bonus attack speed will help greatly decrease the cooldown time of his abilities, leading to additional Crystal Slashes or more uptime on this steroid.

Skarner's marquee ability is Impale. This ultimate causes him to skewer an opponent with his tail and drag them around for a few seconds. The positional manipulation of the ability can turn a teamfight by peeling an enemy off of a wounded ally, or dragging a greedy enemy into a tower.

Players have been asking for another monster champion for a while, so we're happy to deliver Skarner, our own weaponized arachnid.

Art Spotlight:

Champion Approaches:

Link: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/new-champion-approaches-skarner-crystal-vanguard

Skillset:

Energize (Passive): Basic attacks lower the cooldowns of Skarner's abilities by 1 second against champions and 0.5 seconds against non-champions.

Crystal Slash: Skarner lashes out with his claws, dealing physical damage to all nearby enemies and charging himself with Crystal Energy for several seconds. If he casts Crystal Slash again while empowered by Crystal Energy, he deals bonus magic damage and slows all targets hit.

Crystalline Exoskeleton: Skarner gains a shield and while the shield persists his movement speed and attack speed are both increased.

Fracture: Skarner summons a blast of crystalline energy which deals damage to enemies struck and marks them. Any further damage dealt to marked targets by Skarner will allow him to consume the mark to heal himself.

Impale (Ultimate): Skarner suppresses an enemy champion and deals magic damage to it. During this time, skarner can move freely and will drag his helpless victim around with him. When the effect ends, Skarner's target will be dealt additional damage.

Champion Spotlight:

League Judgment:

Link: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/league-judgment-skarner-crystal-vanguard

Edited by MadCast: Eternia

I don't think he'll be a tank, tanky dps will probably be a viable build but I honestly think he will be assassin with some ability similar to blitzcrank's pulll. I also hope he has a flash style move where the animation is he burrows and comes up to deal aoe damage.

According to the E3 interviews, he's going to be a very survivable assassin, but after early game is going to be more utility/disabling/position control as opposed to a large DPS contributor.

Sounds cool. Gotta love late game utility. Though I'll take this with a grain of salt. The ult revealed for yorick at e3 changed drastically. Nonetheless this will prob be a first day buy.

no gap closer? damn. still...I see jungle potential..

Chser hero of awesomesauce needs no gap closer.

hes is totally a jungler! Assuming his e can mark creeps that is. day 1 i will be trying him out in the jungle. The question is should he hae cooldown reduction blue or attack speed blue..

i cant wait for the spotlight video. although i did imagine him to look scarier i would really like to see his ult and what it looks like.

i cant wait for the spotlight video. although i did imagine him to look scarier i would really like to see his ult and what it looks like.

im hoping he has a gritty looking skin.