Sign in to follow this  
MadCast Tort

On Topic: A Guide To Not Get Yourself Banned

The number 1 excuse I hear when calling people out on being OffTopicish in the On Topic forum is: "Sorry dude, I didnt realize it was On Topic." Here are the steps that I have personally taken to make it as clear as possible:

Back when it was one forum:

Excuse: "I hate how some threads are intended to be serious and other threads are intended to be a free for all, please make the distinction clearer"

Response: "Very well. There is now an On Topic and an Off Topic forum."

Then it was two forums feeding into the same feed:

Excuse: "Please don't put it in with the general Recent Threads becuase it confuses me..."

Response: "Very well. The On Topic threads now have their own "Recent Threads" module on the front page."

Then they had two different feeds:

Excuse: "I don't like having to look at the other module because sometimes I just look at the one and miss On Topic threads, can you please bring them back to the main feed?"

Response: "Very well. Everyone from now on please post On Topic in your thread titles to make it obvious to everyone coming in through the recent threads modules where the thread is"

But what about the people that don't use the front page feeds at all?

Then the people with the "New Posts" way of looking at recent threads come in:

Excuse: "I don't use either feed, but use "New Posts" and I can't tell"

Response: "Well, in "New Posts" it tells you what forum the thread is in before you click on the thread link?"

Excuse: "Well, yeah, but I don't want to be charged with the responsibility of looking two inches to the right before hitting "more recent post" on a thread"

Response: "Very well. Everyone from now on please post On Topic in your thread titles to make it obvious to everyone coming in through the recent threads modules where the thread is"

Then we went to the "please post On Topic in every thread title rule."

Excuse: "I trolled it because the person forgot to put On Topic in the thread title, I will overlook the fact that I came in via recent threads in on topic, that I saw that it was an on topic, but because the person did not post On Topic, that means it was a free for all right?"

Response: "Not exactly. Thread starter, please post "On Topic" in thread titles from now on."

Excuse: "I derailed it because the person posted "OT" in the thread title, and while overlooking everything posted above that should have tipped me off, I proceeded to derail the thread. I mean, the thread starter was obtuse about what OT means, it could have meant anything, like Off Topic, Other Thread, On Time, OverTime, Ontario, but how can I be expected to know that it was an "On Topic" thread?

Response: "Sigh."

So, we arrive at today. Starting today, every thread that is posted in this forum will have an on topic image in the first post and in the last post (therefore it is PHYSICALLY impossible for you to post a response without seeing the bright red "ON TOPIC" image"). I have tried to be as accomodating as possible. People want an On Topic forum and people want an Off Topic forum. A balance must be struck.

I have repeatedly protected the ability of some of you to Troll/Derail. The most recent example can be found here. I now will begin to with just as much fervor begin to enforce the rule here. The time for excuses has come and gone. If, even after all the steps I have taken above to try to make the distinction as clear as possible, you still persist in being a douche or acting like an idiot in this forum, I will ban you, without any remorse.

The time for excuses is over. The time for banning has arrived.

Edited by MadCast Tort

So, we arrive at today. Starting today, every thread that is posted in this forum will have an on topic image in the first post and in the last post (therefore it is PHYSICALLY impossible for you to post a response without seeing the bright red "ON TOPIC" image"). I have tried to be as accommodating as possible. People want an On Topic forum and people want an Off Topic forum. A balance must be struck.

This solution has been terminated, am I right? I've seen the "ON TOPIC" bright letters before, but why are they gone from the sub-forum?

I guess it's not that much of a hassle as it used to be? Or maybe it is since you feel the need to bump both this and another related sticky?

Awards

The image appears. It is there. Do you have an ad blocker? Sometimes ad blockers treat the image as an ad. Moreover, as to the second part of your post, check dates. I bumped this 15 months ago.

Edited by MadCast Tort

The image appears. It is there. Do you have an ad blocker? Sometimes ad blockers treat the image as an ad. Moreover, as to the second part of your post, check dates. I bumped this 3 months ago.

Actually, the date says you bumped it 1 year and 3 months ago^^