• Snowblind (Blizzard)
    • Swampland
    • Underground Facility (Dredge)
    • Urban Battlegrounds (Ascalonian)
    • Volcanic (Grawl)
    • Uncategorized (Jumping Puzzle)
    • Solid Ocean (Jade Maw)

Hello and welcome all!

After seeing Sleepcoma's post on fractals, with a blog post that is now 404'd, I decided that I should put together a small, but in-depth guide for all your questions about fractals.

Table of contents:

1. Introduction to fractals
  2. Overview of the general concept
  3. Agony explained
  4. Fractal types and bosses
  5. Rewards involved
  6. FAQ

If there is anything you think should be added to this guy, please comment below and I'll add it.

1. Introduction to fractals

What is a fractal?

Fractals, also known as FotM (Fractal of the Mists) is a set of 'never ending' dungeons that can be completed in a group for some very nice rewards. When entering fractals, your level is scaled up to level 80, so it is possible to do these at level 1. Although you wont be as effective as a level 80 with all the skills, exotics and traits, you can still make it through. Fractals are regarded as an end-game event, and can be very profitable, and can also give you ascended quality gear (highest tier of gear).

To enter FotM, you will need to run north east from the Claw Island Portage Waypoint in Lion's Arch, follow the docks until you see the Asura gate;

cnhy.png

2. Overview of the general concept

When in fractals, you will have your own personal reward level, this level depends on how many fractals you have completed. All new players will start at level one, this personal reward level will go up every time you complete a fractal at, your above your current reward level.

• eg. If your personal reward level is 10, and you completed a level 25 fractal, your personal reward level will go up to level 11. Although if your reward level is 10, and you completed a level 5 fractal, your personal reward level will stay at level 10.

Your personal reward level also determines what level fractal you are able to initiate. You can start a fractal that is 1 level higher then the highest personal reward level your group has. 

eg:

• Personal reward level of player 1: 5
  • Personal reward level of player 2: 25
  • Personal reward level of player 3: 8
  • Personal reward level of player 4: 12
  • Personal reward level of player 5: 36

This means the highest level fractal the group can do, is level 37.

The level of the fractal dictates the difficulty of said fractal, level 1 being the easiest, and 80 the hardest. Level 1-9 is easily completed by people below level 80, level 10 and above, agony is introduced, and I'll cover this in detail in part 3.

Fractals consist of 3 consecutive randomly selected mini-dungeons out of a pool of 9; when completing an even difficulty level of fractals (2,4,6,8 etc), you are required to complete a fourth mini-dungeon - Solid Ocean Fractal, which has bonus loot.

In fractals, there are no waypoints inside, a checkpoint system is used instead; if a player dies, they can't re-spawn until all members of the party are out of combat. With this in mind, it is very important that if a part member goes down, you try to revive them as soon as you can as having 5 players is always better than 4. In addition to no waypoints, there are no repair stations throughout the fractal, apart from at the lobby area, the only way for players to repair once the fractals have started, is to log out to the character selection, and log back in; where they will appear in Lion's Arch and can re-enter the fractal from the prompt message box.

3. Agony explained

Agony is a condition that makes its appearance from bosses after level 9 fractals. It is impossible to remove agony, and it damages you every second based on a percentage of you maximum health. Along with this new condition, is a new attribute, agony resistance (AR), it has the purpose of reducing the health percentage damage per tick from agony. Currently AR is only obtainable through ascended quality gear, in infusions and infused items. Basic infusions, with a straight +5 agony resistance are purchasable from the vendor inside the fractal lobby for 75 fractal relics. The current maximum AR obtainable is 45.

The table below shows an outline of the damage percent agony ticks for, vs the amount of agony resistance you have. (Image taken from the GW2 wiki)

nmt.png

NOTE: Bosses agony damage does not increase past the level 40-49 column, only the Jade Maw's agony damage is related to the values past that column.

It is more than possible to do level 10-19 fractals without a single piece of agony resistance on your gear, although 5 is recommended. As long as a couple people in your group have 5-10, your group will be a-OK.

Ascended gear is available in a range of ways, most commonly they are obtained through Laurels which are given from daily and monthly achievements. I'd highly recommend purchasing an amulet as your first piece, as rings can drop from the fractals. Ascended amulets are purchasable from Laurel Merchant's for 30 laurels each, these vendors also sell rings, for 35 laurels, or accessory's for 40 laurels and 50 globs of ectoplasm.

The ascended amulets and rings can also be purchased from WvW laurel vendors for a discount of 10 laurels on each item (20 laurels for amulets, 25 for accessory), but an additional 250 badges of honor.

Another way to obtain ascended gear is through our guild missions, each type of mission (bounty and rush) gives 2 Guild commendations each per week. 12 of these commendations, along with 5 gold can be exchanged at the Guild Commendation Trader in Lion's Arch for an ascended accessory. 

4. Fractal types and bosses

I could include strategies for each fractal and the corresponding boss, but there are already very good, clear and in-depth guilds roaming the internet. I highly recommend looking at the Dulfy guide for bosses which can be found here: http://dulfy.net/2013/01/07/gw2-fractal-of-the-mists-fotm-guide/

fu5.png

5. Rewards involved

I know what your thinking, this all sounds amazing and I can't wait to try out the jumping puzzle fractal, but what do I get for doing it? 

Well the answer to that is simple, ascended pieces of gear. But Bayhle! Do I get phat lewts from the bosses after each mini-dungeon?? Well no, you don't, you do have a chance for lodestones/cores, lots of blues and greens a long the way, plus coin rewards from each mini-dungeon you complete. But the real reward is in the fractal relics you receive from each mini-dungeon. Fractal relics are a currency used to purchase certain items from the vendor, BUY-4373, located in the Fractal lobby, items purchasable can range from skill point books, 20 slot bags, all the way to ascended items. Fractals are currently the only way to obtain an ascended quality back piece, and is generally the reward most people are aiming for. 

You receive an amount of fractal relics at the end of each mini-dungeon, this amount depends on your personal reward level, not the level of the fractal you are completing. This being said, if you are completing a fractal that is lower difficulty than your reward level, you will receive loot governed by the fractal level you are completing.

eg. Completing a level 20 fractal with a personal reward level of 1, will yield you level 1 rewards. Completing a level 5 fractal with a personal reward level of 50, will yield you level 5 rewards.

0ywb.png

NOTE: The Jade Maw only occurs on even levels, as mentioned in the second section.

As well as the relic rewards from each mini-dungeon, you receive fractal relics from a 'daily chest' that appears at the end of the first fractal you complete each day. This chest's contents depending on your fractal reward level and as well as fractal relics, this chest gives pristine fractal relics, as well as possible extra bonuses. Pristine fractal relics are also used to purchase items from the vendor at the fractal lobby, and requires 10 for an ascended ring. 

21io.png

Fractal weapons are exotic weapons that have a chance to drop in the higher level fractals, these weapons have no base stats, and thus are just used as weapon skins. As they are an actual weapon, not a skin, a level 80 transmutation stone is needed to convert the skin onto an existing weapon with suitable stats. A full list of fractal weapons can be found here

Bayhle! You mentioned ascended back pieces?! Where can I get my fractal running hands on such a powerful and simply amazing item you might ask? Well, ascended back pieces can be crafted either one of two ways. 

Step one - with fractal relics: This method, although seems long and daunting now, is a relatively easy, and cheap way of getting your ascended back piece. It requires a total of 1850 fractal relics to craft the ascended piece. Firstly you will need to purchase a 'Prototype Fractal Capacitor' with the stats of your liking (there are 5 different stat types), for 1350 fractal relics from the vendor inside the lobby. Once you have this piece, you may wear it as your back piece, and as its exotic quality, can be a very nice upgrade until you save the remaining 500 relics. With the remaining 500 fractal relics, you want to purchase the 'Gift of Ascension' from the same vendor, then, take your Fractal Capacitor and your Gift of ascension to the mystic forge, along with 40 Crystals (for an offensive upgrade) or 240 Philosopher's Stones (for a defensive upgrade), and then 1 Vial of Condensed Mist Essence (drops from mobs in level 1-9 fractals). 

Step two - with money: This method is just how it sounds, it can be a very quick way to get your back piece, but it will cost you a fair amount of money to get the materials needed to make them in the mystic forge. A full list of pieces that can be made can be found here, along with the materials required. All pieces require 50 Globs of Ectoplasm, along with 250 tier 6 crafting material (Vicious fangs, Ancient bones etc).

5. FAQ

Will add to this section if questions are asked frequently :D

Thank you all for reading my Fractal guide, I hope it helps answer some questions on starting fractals. It ended up being way longer than I expected. If I have missed something, or there are typos/mistakes in information, please let me know. If anyone else has questions regarding fractals in general, feel free to post here, PM me, or talk to me in game.

Happy mist diving MadCast!

Thank you Bayhle!  This is a fantastic guide and I'm glad to see that Dulfy has improved her guide to Fractal strategy and tactics so much.  I'm currently sitting at Fractal Level 9 and I'm itching to hit 10 and start trying to get my rings.  I'll make a point of spending some laurels/relics to re-infuse my ascended earrings with some Agony Resist.  Hopefully 10 AR will be good enough to help me grab some rings.  

I love Fractals, but it's somewhat difficult for me to plan around them since they tend to eat up a good chunk of time to complete.

We will have to power through some when your on Sleep, typically when I'm in the group, it takes us around 20-30 minutes, for a full run, sometimes up to 45 if we get an annoying fractal. Got to get up to those 10+ :)

This is awesome! I never ran it and was always curious.

I'm glad it helped you out, if you see me on I'll help you out :D

I'm glad it helped you out, if you see me on I'll help you out :D

For sure, I just need to find the time to actually run it, it sounds fun!

Awards

I love the guide, but I think the "uncategorised jumping puzzle" should be named Asura Kitty Golems :) My favourite fractal for sure, and besides, who can resist those cute little golems? I LOVE THEM!

Awards

So I should just wait until I'm level 80 to attempt fractals since I'll be getting lvl80 loot?  Or will the loot match my current level?

The loot will reflect your current level, the 'good loot' like ascended pieces you will only get at 80. Fractals can be completed at any level, and you should just try it out now :)

The loot will reflect your current level, the 'good loot' like ascended pieces you will only get at 80. Fractals can be completed at any level, and you should just try it out now :)

So I would be getting some decent loot that would most likely be better than normal dungeons?  That would be worth it then, I've been lacking in some.

Bayhle,

Thanks for the time putting this together. It answered a ton of questions I had and saved me a lot of time searching for answers.

Fox

This is deff well thought out, however, my only question is, what exactly is The Jade Maw and why does it reflect fractal gain? is it a boss and why does it only roll even levels?

edit: i was just pointed out that some of the charts were indeed outdated, my question was answered:D(thanks mahret)

Edited by thefinalsolution

Awards

This is deff well thought out, however, my only question is, what exactly is The Jade Maw and why does it reflect fractal gain? is it a boss and why does it only roll even levels?

Jade Maw is a boss that is encountered at the end of the fractal and it now rolls at random on any level. They have since added in 2 new boss who are randomised every time, so you might not get the same one. As for you question on why does it reflect fractal gain I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Thanks for the guide Bayhle!

I'm a visual learner - the charts definitely help!

I've run across some speed video guides on the official forums for each fractal from the perspective of a few different classes. Since I'm a guardian I'm biased towards the guardian videos, but there are links to other classes so you can get better coverage. Figured I'd share since quality video guides are so hard to come by for GW2. The original thread is here. Not the most exciting sounding host, but...

Edited by Spiricore

Thanks for the guide Mahret!

I'm a visual learner - the charts definitely help!

I'd like to point out Mahret is not the author of this guide; but nevertheless you're welcome.

I'd like to point out Mahret is not the author of this guide; but nevertheless you're welcome.

Doh, don't know how that happened. Fixed; sorry; thank you! :P

Thank you for this guide.  I have yet to run any dungeons or fractals in GW2 yet and I look forward to starting them.  I appreciate getting some starting information on how the whole process works. Thank you.

Awards

Thank you for this guide.  I have yet to run any dungeons or fractals in GW2 yet and I look forward to starting them.  I appreciate getting some starting information on how the whole process works. Thank you.

This guide is a good start but there is still a lot more to add. Be sure to come along to fractal friday best way to learn it :D