Sign in to follow this  
LaggMaster

New video card

Question

I was planning on building a new pc this year but most the the new tech I wanted to upgrade to got delayed. I am thinking about buying a new video card to hold me over until I do a new build in 2015. Waiting until 2015 because that is when Camelot unchained and star citizen comes out. This is my current build.

Asus crosshair 4 formula(890fx chipset)

1055T thuban 2.8ghz with self over clocking at 3.2ghz

5770 video card

32 gigs ddr3 ran 1600mhz @ 8-8-8-24

Rage bought the ram after ps2 kept crashing with 4 gigs of ram.

Currently I am thinking the chipset will bottleneck the video card. Not sure if I should buy something slower than the GTX 760.

5 answers to this question

Very similar situation with my previous desktop. For this type of CPU, I would say 7850 to 7870 is appropriate. If you go any more above that, the CPU will end up bottleneck your GPU then you will be force to upgrade the CPU.Going from 5770 to 7850 or 7870 will give you a huge boost on performance and will last you quite sometime gaming on 1080p. The price is very reasonable at this time as well, around $100-$180.

That CPU will not bottleneck a 760 much if any. You would still see a big performance gain going from the 5770 to a 760. 7950 would be good but those are hard to find ATM.

Hyper transport 3.0 supports PCI express 2.0 full bandwidth. 680 loses about 2% performance on PCI express 2.0. News shows that 750Ti (first maxwell part, not sure why it is not 850) is expose to release in Feb. Probably going to pick up a 860 unless the release date is pushed back.

Want to go with Nvidia because of shadowplay and poor video card drivers and has been releasing for 4 years.

That CPU will not bottleneck a 760 much if any. You would still see a big performance gain going from the 5770 to a 760. 7950 would be good but those are hard to find ATM.

Oh it will bottle neck even an 660 or 660Ti which is equivalent with 7870. I have had it and once i changed to i5 3570k, got at least 30-60fps most games boost using the same video card.