Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy Bebop

Favorite tequila brands?

So a couple friends and I are planning a venture in the tequila importing business. One of which is a connoisseur of sorts and has some jimador (agave tequila plant farming) connections and claims they make a tequila much smoother and tastier than the stuff we have in the US.

We are heading down to Mexico in the next month or so to test varies popular tequila brands and decide who we want to invest in.

So my question is... do any of you guys have any recommendations of tequila brands I should try before making the trip down there so I have something to compare to? Im mostly looking to try absolute BEST and WORST 100% agave tequilas.

Any thoughts? Lay 'em on me. Figured we have a hell of a cultured community here.

Awards

Picked up a bottle of Cabo silver. Thanks for the recommendation Lister. It has a rich agave taste. I want to pick up a few others in due time and have a drinking comparison one of these nights. Ill let you know how Cabo holds up in my opinion.

Ive been recommended to to try El Jimador. Any other suggestions good or bad?

Awards

jimador is ew. If you want quality you go Cazadores. After that its Don Julio and Patron. Nothing else even compares and never touch jose cuervo,sauza or 1800. Cheap white people tequila.

Awards

Where are you going to in Mexico? 

The easiest way to distinguish bad tequila from better/good tequila is to turn the bottle upside down and shake it.  Bubble formation at the top = shit tequila. 

Both my bottles of Cabo and Cabrito have bubbles for a fraction of a second when I shake them up then it clears. When you say bubble formation are you referring to bubbles that stay formed for a prolonged period? Im looking to compare silver (blanco) tequila by the way, and not mixtos. I forgot the exact area. My colleague has lived in the region for some time and knows a bit more of where to find some authentic makes. I'll keep you posted.

And thanks Saiyan. Ill be keeping an eye out for Cazadores.

Awards

Both my bottles of Cabo and Cabrito have bubbles for a fraction of a second when I shake them up then it clears. When you say bubble formation are you referring to bubbles that stay formed for a prolonged period? Im looking to compare silver (blanco) tequila by the way, and not mixtos. I forgot the exact area. My colleague has lived in the region for some time and knows a bit more of where to find some authentic makes. I'll keep you posted.

And thanks Saiyan. Ill be keeping an eye out for Cazadores.

Step one to becoming a Tequila expert:  It can only be produced in Jalisco, Mexico.  If you are going anywhere else, you will not get to see it made.  If I were you, I would go to Jalisco and just hit all the spots in the most efficient manner.  As for bubbles, go buy a bottle of Cuervo 1800 and do it.  You will see what I am talking about almost instantly.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spiritreviews/ig/Cazadores-Tequila-/

I've had bouts with Tequila in the past just because, well, everyone has a tequila story right?  I've never even heard of the brands mentioned in this thread though so I've obviously been doing it wrong.  Now I have to try them to see what I've been missing.  Sorry liver.  

Awards

Have you ever had a tequila so fine you could sip it like scotch?  There is some amazing tequila out there; you just have to look.  And a lot of what people complain of with tequila is related to cheap, shit tequila, not the good stuff.

I have not, but that's what intrigues me.  If a cigar goes as well with that kind of tequila as it does with scotch then it's totally worth a try.  

Awards

Yeah Jalisco region is the place to be to check out the distilleries if we had the time. But due to our demanding work schedules, we will be dropping by the small area just west of Matamoros where there are a couple of bars and distributors to compare our 'connected' brand with other Mexican exclusive tequilas to finalize who we want to invest in. According to my connoisseur colleague, the connection he has down there makes tequila that puts Patron to shame. But we shall see.

Im particularly curious to see the difference between highland agave tequila and lowland agave tequila. Granted they are both blue agave, but I hear ones a sweeter taste versus the natural earthly flavor of the other. And you nailed it on the head Tort. Down there, they laugh at Americans who take shots of tequila. It's really meant to be sipped so you can taste the natural flavors on your palate.

And thanks guys, I'll be picking up Cazadores next.

Awards

Yeah Jalisco region is the place to be to check out the distilleries if we had the time. But due to our demanding work schedules, we will be dropping by the small area just west of Matamoros where there are a couple of bars and distributors to compare our 'connected' brand with other Mexican exclusive tequilas to finalize who we want to invest in. According to my connoisseur colleague, the connection he has down there makes tequila that puts Patron to shame. But we shall see.

Im particularly curious to see the difference between highland agave tequila and lowland agave tequila. Granted they are both blue agave, but I hear ones a sweeter taste versus the natural earthly flavor of the other. And you nailed it on the head Tort. Down there, they laugh at Americans who take shots of tequila. It's really meant to be sipped so you can taste the natural flavors on your palate.

And thanks guys, I'll be picking up Cazadores next.

I lived in Brownsville for four years (across the border from matamoros).  I am guessing you are going to progreso.  Be safe man, that area is real dangerous.  

The only tequila I've sipped on instead of taking in shots is Patron.  Patron on some ice with a little lime is pretty tasty, IMO.  

With that said the vast majority of my experience has either been mixing tequila in margaritas or taking shots and neither one of those gives me much insight for you.  When my wife and I were in Mexico on our honeymoon, one of the hotel bartenders kept telling us that the best tequila was from a distillery called Tres Hermanos, which I hadn't heard of before.  I believe we tried El Fogonero, but unfortunately it was pretty harsh and although we both did a couple of shots, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for sipping.

I'll be interested to hear what you find, as I'd love to give a good tequila a try once the weather warms up a bit.  Right now I'm sticking to bourbon or scotch when I need a pour of something manly to sip on.

tequila is a good friend to have you always know what to expect from her and most people around here won't take her off the shelf.

As for recommendations:

Jose Cuervo (good for mixers and well shots that's aboot it)

Patron (my old stand by because its readily available from my freezer)

Hotel California (pretty bottle lures you in the tasty buzz won't let you leave)

Mananas ( a good tequila when tomarrow won't come quick enough)

Apocalypto (next bottle on my list to try out I'll let you know when I crack this bottle open.)

if I stumble across any of my old emptys I'll add them to the list if I can remember them. ( I like pretty bottles and frequently I'll repurpose my old booze bottles into water decanters.)

Edit to add:

Apocalypto was very sweet chilled very little bite when cold but the woody note were not impeded. all in all a delight

Awards