Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Soupcup

Messing with Shaders

I've been meaning to dabble around with these for awhile, but basically, these shaderpacks change the way light and stuff like that works in Minecraft. There aren't too many of them, but they're all pretty cool. :P Water reflections, actual shadows, things of the like. Tons of pictures, so I put them all in spoilers. They are LARGE pictures.

Pictures of the spawn building/area:

Vanilla picture for comparison.

g8Q0jVQ.png

Pretty nice one, if you ask me.

yVuDhJ9.png

This one is my favorite shader pack.

fbhvKP8.png

This one is a variation of the last one, but has black outlines around blocks. Kind of gives it a Borderlands feel.

JK2k2No.png

Other pictures:

Same shader as the first picture from the spawn building area. Love the water reflections.

HWhurEC.png

Again, my favorite shader pack. 

ENLH3KU.png

This is a different pack, and while I do like the look of some things in it, I find it just too bright for my tastes. Still looks pretty nice, though.

VmYl1sa.png

This last one is an interesting pack, still a bit too bright, but looks nice.

NrwCnp2.png

Some even have depth of field! It's optional, but pretty cool.

OQV5Ts0.png

I've been meaning to dabble around with these for awhile, but basically, these shaderpacks change the way light and stuff like that works in Minecraft. There aren't too many of them, but they're all pretty cool. :P Water reflections, actual shadows, things of the like. Tons of pictures, so I put them all in spoilers. They are LARGE pictures.

Pictures of the spawn building/area:

Vanilla picture for comparison.

g8Q0jVQ.png

Pretty nice one, if you ask me.

yVuDhJ9.png

This one is my favorite shader pack.

fbhvKP8.png

This one is a variation of the last one, but has black outlines around blocks. Kind of gives it a Borderlands feel.

JK2k2No.png

Other pictures:

Same shader as the first picture from the spawn building area. Love the water reflections.

HWhurEC.png

Again, my favorite shader pack. 

ENLH3KU.png

This is a different pack, and while I do like the look of some things in it, I find it just too bright for my tastes. Still looks pretty nice, though.

VmYl1sa.png

This last one is an interesting pack, still a bit too bright, but looks nice.

NrwCnp2.png

Some even have depth of field! It's optional, but pretty cool.

OQV5Ts0.png

Yo dawg, heard you like spoilers.

So we spoilered your spoiler's spoiler, so Soup can spoiler with style.

Otherwise, that is a super impressive amount of work done by you and  (I'm assuming)  the whole Minecraft community. Did you use templates for any of that?

Well it all comes from the Shaders Mod. It allows use of shaderpacks, which are similar to resource packs (things that have all the textures and particle animations), but just change well, the shading and lighting of stuff in game. These were just things I downloaded and put into the folder and selected via the in-game menu, and you get this kind of stuff. You need a decent computer to make it work well, though. Surprising how taxing this game can be. ._. I didn't make these packs, these have existed for awhile now and I just grabbed them and took pictures with them. Lol

Also I used spoilers like that because I didn't want all the large pictures to be in your face upon opening it. :P Also takes up less page space. Don't judge me!

Oh man, these look great!  I just reinstalled Minecraft on my new computer and it's all vanilla and I forgot how much I like texture packs.  :P I've been playing without any for like the past year, though... might be time to go looking for some nice ones again.

Awards

These things are great during the daytime, I find. But at night or in places like caves or the Nether, it's so, so so so so so dark. Like pitch black at times, depending on the shader pack and if it is raining (clouds blocking out moon/sun, therefore darker). Shame there doesn't seem to be many configuration options for it, I'd love for one to have an option to be brighter at night, or at least be brighter by default. Some work well during the night, but when it's raining or you're in the nether or something, nope. Just nope. Can't see a thing besides lava.

Edit: Found a fix in one of the packs that made me able to see during the night/when it rains, but the nether/end? Nope.

The third to last one in the OP is that shader pack, it makes thing soooooo  bright. ._. I like it, but the one I've been using (Sildur's Shaders) doesn't add too much brightness, and makes colors more vibrant, which I like, personally.

Though, this is probably a new version coming with a lot of new features. I've never seen puddles form with the current version I have of it. In fact, pretty much all of these aren't in it. It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Honestly, I can't wait until that guy gets his big project to work, global illumination. Would be amazing to see that happen soon.

-Overall less harsh lighting outdoors

This is listed int he change log, will try it in game shortly...

Edit: Yeah, it's much better. Not nearly as bright as it was, which is good. The puddles are cool as well, though I think it needs a bit of work. Right now, it covers all blocks that get rained on. Looks a bit too drenched to me, should try to have it spot it or be less reflective, maybe? No idea. Some blocks have the reflective water stuff that probably shouldn't (sand, for example). But it does do a good job at knowing that blocks under things (like the floor of a building or under a doorway) shouldn't be covered in puddles. Compare the following shots to the 3rd to last one in the spoilers of the OP:

Much better with near direct sunlight.

HsE1qI8.png

m0oGcKa.png

Still really dark at night, understandably (and it's realistic in that sense, but it makes Minecraft unplayable in the dark). Dem clouds tho. using the Chroma Hills texture pack, which is what this shader is supposed to be used with, and you get these awesome clouds.

ZX6NmuV.png

Edited by MadCast: Soupcup