MadCast Maday

Report odd site behaviors here

Question

Lately I've been hearing various reports of the website behaving oddly at random people and random intervals.

From here on out I need everyone to report these odd behaviors in this thread.  I also need to know exactly what you were doing or trying to do and the precise time it happened.

So if you were trying to make a post and clicking the add reply button just immediately shot you back to the main website index, then that is an example of the website behaving oddly.

I can likely get these things ironed out but I need the data of what you were doing along with the specific time it happened.

I NEED PRECISE SPECIFICS.  I must know exact times.  I must know exactly what forum section you were trying to post in.  Whether it was just a reply or creation of a new thread.  The more detailed the better. 

If you cannot provide all the specific details then do not post a reply in here.

FYI, there is nothing really wrong with the website software itself.  There are security features on our webhost's side that is likely causing these odd circumstances.  Various potential settings in the PHP config or rules within mod_security.  Like I said, I can get these things ironed out but I just need to let them know what to look for in the logs to figure out how and what they need to adjust.

33 answers to this question

I was attempting to paste some information in the GW2 News subforum from this LINK when I discovered that the GW2 News Subforum is greyed out to make a new topic in. So I went to the GW2 forum to post it there then see if I could move it to the GW2 News subforum, but found out that I when I clicked "Post New Topic" or even "Preview" I was redirected to the www.madcastgaming.com home page. This was from 9 am EST yesterday (April 6, 2014) and is still occuring. 

I created a "Test" subject and only posted "Test" as a post and it accepted it. I deleted the post and pasted the contents I had before and it accepted. Then I tried to edit the name of the post to [EDITED, SEE BELOW] and that is when it re-directed me. I tried many other combinations of the words and shortened it. Finally it accepted with a shorter title. Perhaps the problem is the title length?

Edit: Scratch that... I just tried typing in the title and it wouldn't let me reply to you. When I took it out, it would... Um. Very strange. The title is the title that is on top of the LINK

Edit edit: When I tried replying to this thread with that title in it, I got the green loading bar at the top of the screen, but it didn't post.

Edited by MadCast: Kit

Azzimov has been trying to post the following but can't.

Tried to reply directly to the thread with the content below...

10:56 AM EST

From Forums Page

- clicked Guild Wars 2 News subforum link (noted Post New Topic was grayed out)

- click Guild Wars 2 Subforum link

- clicked Post New Topic

- set title to ((Same title as Kit's))

- pasted in some text in the body

- hit post or submit or whatever

- was redirected to main website page with no error or other informational message

when I hit post, I got the green bar indicating some sort of status change....

the topic didn't post

I was attempting to paste some information in the GW2 News subforum from this LINK when I discovered that the GW2 News Subforum is greyed out to make a new topic in. So I went to the GW2 forum to post it there then see if I could move it to the GW2 News subforum, but found out that I when I clicked "Post New Topic" or even "Preview" I was redirected to the www.madcastgaming.com home page. This was from 9 am EST yesterday (April 6, 2014) and is still occuring. 

I created a "Test" subject and only posted "Test" as a post and it accepted it. I deleted the post and pasted the contents I had before and it accepted. Then I tried to edit the name of the post to [EDITED, SEE BELOW] and that is when it re-directed me. I tried many other combinations of the words and shortened it. Finally it accepted with a shorter title. Perhaps the problem is the title length?

Edit: Scratch that... I just tried typing in the title and it wouldn't let me reply to you. When I took it out, it would... Um. Very strange. The title is the title that is on top of the LINK

Edit edit: When I tried replying to this thread with that title in it, I got the green loading bar at the top of the screen, but it didn't post.

Azzimov has been trying to post the following but can't.

I may have found the problem.  Originally the game specific News threads were threads reserved for RSS feed postings.  As such we had a RSS bot account that would post the feeds in those threads.  As such, the permissions in those forum sections were typically of a read and reply only and thread creation was reserved for the RSS posting bot.  I've adjusted the permissions to those News sections.  That may have cleared up the issue there.  You may have to try again to verify.

I may have found the problem.  Originally the game specific News threads were threads reserved for RSS feed postings.  As such we had a RSS bot account that would post the feeds in those threads.  As such, the permissions in those forum sections were typically of a read and reply only and thread creation was reserved for the RSS posting bot.  I've adjusted the permissions to those News sections.  That may have cleared up the issue there.  You may have to try again to verify.

The GW2 News subforum is now able to be posted in. However, the title at the top of that link is still causing the loading bar in reply, and still can't be posted in a topic or title. I think it is narrowed down to The Megaserver System not being part of the problem, since as you can see, I can post it. No clue why it's freakin' out the site. XD

Edited by MadCast: Kit

I was attempting to paste the guide format into a new thread titled "WIP: Fiddlesticks Champion Guide". I was attempting to create that thread in the Guide Writing Team sub forum of the league guides subforum. I have attempted to do so at regular intervals since Tuesday at 9:30pm. I get redirected to the index no matter how many attempts or how much I am attempting to post.

I am able to post and create threads elsewhere. I have created and posted threads in this particular subforum before.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Edit: this continues to happen. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled my browser now and cannot make any new threads. 

Edited by MadCast: HyndeSyte2020

On my iPad Air since 4/25 around 10am as well as on my iPhone 5S (basically mobile browser of any type) the tabs for private and comment thread do nothing. As seen in the pic, the hearthstone thread is the last trending public thread currently and the May event is the first private listed. There is a gap to differentiate at least. Instead, all threads are listed in order and you can scroll down through first public, then private and finally comment. Also, the index tabs for ranks and info are not properly switching to their respective info. (Safari or chrome on mobile)

Edited by MadCast: HyndeSyte2020

Adding a photo to show what I, and I believe others have said so also, are seeing via tablets. I click to "private" tab and must scroll to the bottom of the public list before seeing the private threads. If I hit comment, I must scroll to bottom of both public and private. Also as of today the "forum" drop down doesn't work to navigate at all. Before I could tap it once, wait and tap again to be brought to the forum main index, no longer does this work. I have to open a thread and use the thread hierarchy list at the top of the thread to get back to the index. Search option also missing from front page.

post-724-0-89452700-1398900337_thumb.jpg

The tabs/drop down menus at the top of the screen are gone. I tried refreshing the site numerous times and even closed it out and still have nothing. The View New Content tab is still there though.

The tabs/drop down menus at the top of the screen are gone. I tried refreshing the site numerous times and even closed it out and still have nothing. The View New Content tab is still there though.

An update to the menu system was released and installed.  Refresh and it should be back to normal.

I've noticed my private message unread notification isn't showing up anymore. Before the "open letter" icon would have a number next to displaying how many unread private messages I had. Now it doesn't show anything and I only know I've gotten a private message when it shows up in my email.

Awards

When trying to post in the Star Citizen thread ("Holy Crap, check this game out" in "General Interest" --> "Gaming Discussions"), there is an odd behavior. Sometimes, I write, then click Post and nothing happens. When trying to preview my post instead, I get redirected to the main index. It just happened right now, 20/07/2014 13:35 EST.

Link to the thread in which I'm trying to post.

What I'm trying to post a RSI Comm-Link (like the others already in the thread).

Thanks!

Awards

If hitting the submit post button shoots you back to the main site index, then that's typically what happens when a mod_security rule has taken place.  Something in your post is causing the hosting security rules to stop said content from being posted/submitted.

Too many links or links to certain unsafe places can cause those rules to go off as well.

ok, I'll check it out. In the meantime, this is what I wanted to copy/paste:

Link

I select from "RSI" (white title) to the last sentence "...stretch goal!"

Edited by MadCast: DownyTif

Awards

I can also confirm seeing incorrect times for events as well.

pnSRSGa.png

Times/Dates are out of wack.  I've verified that it is displaying incorrectly with other users as well.

Sometimes, when I click the "FM Penthouse" subforum from the main index, I get a white page that says "file does not exist."

I usually get in on the 2nd or 3rd retry.

Same... I will get a "File does not exist error" but its on any section on the forums.  But when i refreash, its fine.

So on the top navigation bar, under Forums -> Active MadCast Games... there is no HotS! It makes me sad :(

Should be fixed now.  Menu was originally created before this section went live so it copied viewing permissions from when it was a private section.  In any rate it should be there now.

Two things.

1. The Heroes of the Storm link I mentioned before, on the nav bar, under Forums -> Active Madcast Games. The link is there now, but it goes to a 404 page. Seems like the actual link is incorrect.

2. At small resolutions (below ~1000 px wide), the top nav bar actually disappears and becomes a flat blue bar with no buttons. Not sure if it's worth it to fix, but I thought I'd point it out.

Both of these have been confirmed in multiple browsers and by different users.

I have been having some issues with signing in for months now (mind you part of the reason is that i did not know that the log in user name could automatically be changed.)  I would try to hit the sign in button but when I did nothing would happen thinking i needed to reload my web page I did same thing nothing would happen.  I then figured it was due to my computer so i cleaned it restarted it you know went through that whole thing nothing i did seemed to help.  I waited a few weeks something i hit the sign in button nothing would happen so i reloaded my page tried again nothing.  I was finally able to log in yesterday but however i had forgotten my passwordarrow-10x10.png i went through the steps to try to change my password I used the temp password that was given to me but it would not let me in kept giving me an errorarrow-10x10.png message basically saying there was no sign in name in the username box which you could clearly see it. I finally started heading down to other channels to see if there was someone who could help me thankfully i was able to get it changed and get logged in temporarily before i decided to log out again to make sure i could log back in which was a no go.  Please if there is a way to figure out what is going wrong please let me know i figured out how to bypass it today but who knows about the rest of the time.  Also one more thing before i go last night 5/24/15 I was having issues clicking my messages button (thankfully i can receive notifications on my phone and can read it the messages in my email. how come i knew about the full member orientation meeting last night. and got the linkarrow-10x10.png to the forum thank you kit.)  I also can't seem to post anything either when i hit the post button. It is startingarrow-10x10.png to get frustrating please let me know if there is anything that i need to do or can do to fix the problems. Thank you for your time. 

MadCast: Kit likes this

Awards

The Quick Reply Multi Quote does not work in Microsoft Edge the first time. It will load and bring you down to the bottom but the quotes are not loaded into the message box. If you try a second time it works.

Sorry i did not post there here, still new to the forums and when i looked for a similar posting I did not find anything!
although now I just created the filter that sends these notifications to my inbox and overrides the spam flag.

Posted (edited)

Tried to link my twitch account to the website today. I am using chrome, I am signed into twitch on a different tab. Clicking the link button brings me to a page that displays:

{"error":"Bad Request","status":400,"message":"No client id specified"}

-------------

On another note, it looks like the site has mixed content (trying to load http resources from https). This is throwing security warnings on chrome and causes firefox to freak out.

Edited by MadCast: RacerDelux