Tribute

Looking for people who know more than me :D

Question

So I want to buy a new laptop that is designed for gaming... I COULD say that my budget on this is indefinite but... I need to be responsible... so preferably under 1200 or right around there would be best.  I want it to play EVERYTHING ON MAX RAWR!!  Or... should I just build a desktop?  The desktop lasts longer right?  Due to being able to update parts?  What do you guys think?

Thanks  :D

7 answers to this question

There are so many options for a gaming rig.....to help you get an idea of pricing and equipment, either desktop or laptop...checkout  

www.ibuypower.com

I love their configurator....it has so many options!  This is my first place to go when I am starting to want a new PC for gaming..

Awards

Personal preference. I prefer my desktop because that way I can update it on occasion and still maintain a budget for a family. =) Parts are much easier to buy and replace, as well as cheaper in my experience. But also, personal preference is that I like sitting straight backed at a PC monitor than with a laptop that I would end up killing any sort of posture I have left. 

I prefer desktops, but have a laptop for casual games on the go. (Hearthstone runs on my laptop!)

i bought my sager last may from xoticpc.com and its great. had a friend just buy another and he loves it too. I run everything max settings and never a stutter.

the nice things about sagers is the upgradeability and repair ease.

Awards

I agree with simbaca.

I've got a SAGER too from Xoticps.com as well quite a few years ago, and from what I remember their costumer service was top notch. I got it with a Danish Keyboard layout as well for a little extra fee.

Awards

It has been my experience that Laptops designed for gaming will always 1) Cost more and 2) Last you half the amount of time with no real upgrade path.

Gaming Laptops overheat. They're often large and heavy and bulky and end up needing to be not in your lap... IE on a desk somewhere.. like your desktop computer. 

The close quarters and smaller manufactured products needed to create a laptop lead to those parts being more volatile and dying off faster, more susceptible to dust, etc and just all around not living past a couple of years. I'm not joking when I say I have friends who replace their gaming rigs around every 2-3 years. Complete replacements. That's 1200-2000 dollars every couple of years. Oh, and they rarely perform as well as a similarly priced desktop.

The only true advantage of a laptop is mobility. And if you work in a field that forces you to live in hotel rooms and take flights across the country every other week... well hell, you'll want to suck it up and get a laptop. If you don't expect to move your machine hardly at all... get a beefed up desktop machine, it's superior in all ways. If you like to do LAN parties or you are a college student who wants to bring their machine home on breaks than see what you can do with a Micro ATX case/shuttle box or what not type of set up that is essentially a Desktop that's not too much of a pain to throw in your car and set up somewhere else in a matter of minutes.

That's my 2.5 cents.

Awards

Thanks everyone!  I def see your point Peste... I bought an Asus in 2008 and it was a big larger than most carrying cases.. I suppose I never thought about it.. and yes it did have trouble with heating.. I think the main appeal to desktop is the upgrade...   lots to consider!

I agree with Peste as well, however, I love my laptop.  My house has this stupid layout where the only place to put a computer is just off the kitchen/dining room/porch.  It's not in any kind of social area of the house, or in a bedroom where at least you'd be in your own space.  So I bought a little computer laptop desk, and I game from the comfort of my couch.  It's also comfortable for those late night raiding sessions where you accidently fall asleep and wipe the group  :-(