MadCast: Munsa

New Direction: Main Games

After nearly 2 months in deliberation, the (E)SFMs have decided to drop our current version of Main Game Focuses in favor of a more flexible system.

Instead of voting on whether or not a game passes a series of benchmarks, the SFMs and Staff will be looking at the games the community is playing, and assigning forum space, permanent TS channels, and admin resources as they deem necessary. 

To illustrate this change, let's look at Diablo 3.  Diablo 3 has gone through several massive overhauls that have created population spikes since it's release.  It has been hard to run traditional events in a game that caps itself at 4 players per session, as well as limited player trading.  Diablo 3, therefore, does not require much admin attention, nor does it possess as fertile a ground for recruitment as League of Legends or Guild Wars 2.  Nevertheless, it now has a very stable playerbase here at MadCast.  Under the old method of organization, Diablo 3 was a middle child.  With the new method, Diablo 3 can find it's niche.

This change will give us greater flexibility in how we manage our games and create the best possible experience for us, the members.

I am very happy with the flex focus direction of MadCast.  Not only will this allow for a wide range of games to be played, not one game will feel inferier to another game.

Questions.  (wow didnt know I had so many)

1.) In order for a game to have its own "niche" in MadCast, will there have to be an Admin assigned to the game?  Does an RFM have to come forth and support that game? 

2.) How long or what amount of "evidence" is needed to support "XYZ" game to have its own section for a period of time.

3.) How often will the Senior+ staff revist the "active roster of games" that have their own sections for realignment and "demotion/removal"?

4.) Will newer channels in TS hold a single place holder for that game and then the membership will add temp channels as they see fit?  Or will "a focus group" for that game relay information of common channels that will be needed for that game?

5.) on the forums, will newer games be added under the "Game Discussion" section?  Or will it have its own main page section?  If dropped/demoted, will it retain its section or get archived?

1. The administration have always supported the games that the community chooses, not the other way around. In order for a game to have a niche here, the community must demonstrate interest. MadCast does not assign or designate RFMs to their duties. If a game is gaining traction in the community, we look to our members to step up and volunteer to take on the responsibilities of adminship in order to grow the game they care about.

2. The senior administration will make judgements on a case by case basis. A significant and regular number of Full Members need to be utilizing the forums and/or TS3 in order to receive a new subforum or TS3 channel.

3. For the short term we will operate on an as-needed basis to enact this new policy. Later on it is likely that a review will happen once per Cycle, but this is not 100% set as of yet.

4. Again, the senior administration will make judgements on a case by case basis. Members ought to create their own subchannels if they need or want them. If we see that a subchannel is in constant, repeat use, it will become permanent. A need must be demonstrated by use.

5. The forums will continue to follow their old rule: If a game generates enough clutter in the "Other Games" section, then we will create a subforum under "Other Games". If the forum activity demonstrates a need for further subforums and is attracting a large amount of traffic, then it can move out of the "Other Games" section.

In essence, this change was made so that resources are efficiently mobilized in response to demonstrated, community need for support. This new system is more closely aligned with what the spirit of MadCast is all about. We respond to the needs of our Full Members. The senior administration will use good old common sense (and whatever evidence members wish to provide when making a request) to determine resource allocation.

I've always wanted to get more MadCasters into the Dota 2 scene. It's pretty much the only game I've been playing online lately and it's been rather lonely. I've already got a MadCast guild up for the game (someone else can take over if I shouldn't be the one running it), it just needs to be populated with more active players, though I don't know how many MadCasters play it as most play LoL. Well, hope to see some good things with these changes.

Awards

I have the same feelings for other games like World of Tanks. And i know of a few MadCasters here that roll out o7.

Thank you for the responds Red.

Edited by MadCast: Sabre Wolf

This may have been discussed at the townhall but How will this effect qualification admissions for FMs seeking RFMship? Previously it seemed to be common practice to state past experience that qualified an individual as experienced in a position of leadership followed by a need they saw in a main game that they sought to fill and how they intended to do so. logically this shift to me would mean in any game an FM sees interest and a need for admin assistance/support they felt they could fill would merit petition for rank. I ask purely for clarification for proper means to see qualified individuals placed accordingly without creating a glut of applications to bog down current admins. ( I want you guys gaming too its why we're here after all)

Awards

We have plenty of admins who are not attached to a Main Game even now. It has never been required for anyone to demonstrate a track record with a Main Game or to apply for a position with one. Any person who has the maturity and desire to lead our community by serving its interests have always been a welcome addition to the admin ranks.

I will qualify this all by saying that RFMs are expected to do work. If you want to apply to be the RFM of Monopoly, so be it, as long as you can demonstrate how you can grow, support, or develop a service for the community.

Nothing has changed except to remove the pressure to "find" admins for a Main Game when none of our members will step up and/or none of our members are ready for the responsibility.

This may have been discussed at the townhall but How will this effect qualification admissions for FMs seeking RFMship? Previously it seemed to be common practice to state past experience that qualified an individual as experienced in a position of leadership followed by a need they saw in a main game that they sought to fill and how they intended to do so. logically this shift to me would mean in any game an FM sees interest and a need for admin assistance/support they felt they could fill would merit petition for rank. I ask purely for clarification for proper means to see qualified individuals placed accordingly without creating a glut of applications to bog down current admins. ( I want you guys gaming too its why we're here after all)

I am glad you asked this, and...

We have plenty of admins who are not attached to a Main Game even now. It has never been required for anyone to demonstrate a track record with a Main Game or to apply for a position with one. Any person who has the maturity and desire to lead our community by serving its interests have always been a welcome addition to the admin ranks.

I will qualify this all by saying that RFMs are expected to do work. If you want to apply to be the RFM of Monopoly, so be it, as long as you can demonstrate how you can grow, support, or develop a service for the community.

Nothing has changed except to remove the pressure to "find" admins for a Main Game when none of our members will step up and/or none of our members are ready for the responsibility.

Thank you for responding! Clears up questions on my side. =D

I think that's cool, it's not just a guild focused on one specific game or whatever, but a community with certain areas that are more malleable can be changed as the players and games change, while still having core games and focuses that long-term and dedicated players can stick with their roots and be the main drive of the MadCast team.