CrashMk1

Retro Game Suggestions? (NES/SNES specifically)

As most of you may not know, I am an active twitch streamer, and I am looking at some different options to fill out time blocks. My stream is ran as more of an arcade channel, where I don't play a specific game at any given time. After speaking with a few streamers who have developed a larger viewer base, I've come to understand that for an arcade channel to be successful, I should attempt to have set days for set shows.

In addition to the various PC titles that I play, I also enjoy retro gaming. So, I'm going to have a show 2-3 times a week dedicated to retro games. I've got access to almost every game in the NES and SNES library through a collector friend of mine.

This being said, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions of some hidden gems or other games from these systems that you particularly enjoy?

My favorite SNES games when I was a kid. =)

Secret of Mana

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Yoshi's Island

Claymates

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Best EVER)

F-Zero

All of which are awesome games.

I might do a lets play series for Secret of Mana, as that was one that I never beat as a kid.

Battletoads was one of the most fun (albeit infuriating) games that was ever produced for the NES.

There isn't enough Chrono Trigger in here.

I was going to mention Chrono Trigger, but I couldn't remember if it came out on NES or SNES. 

NES: River City Ransom; Battletoads

Battletoads was def one of my favorite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awards

Chrono Trigger was definitely one of my favorites. It might show up somewhere down the road. I've already played it too many times, haha.

Depends how frustrated you want to be. I personally like to speedrun megaman's but if you want something much harder look towards silversurfer or Simpsons Bart vs space mutants also TMNT is fun to play, ghost n goblins and all double dragons / golden axes are always epic for me. Whats your twitch stream id like to follow you :) Also if your interested in some of the retro stuff I play I sometimes stream also at http://www.twitch.tv/outback_yak

I'm going to recommend an NES game that every time I mention it to people, they have never heard of it (like my husband, who is very adamant about never knowing this game existed).  I started to believe I made it up that I played it so much as a child.

NES:

Monster in my Pocket  :D

SNES:

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (I see that Kit also mentioned this - she knows what's up)

And I agree with all the things mentioned so far.  Love Mega Man, Chrono Trigger, any Mario game, Donkey Kong.

Awards

I can speed run Mario 3. I try to stay away from speed runs though, and do more lets plays. It affords me the opportunity to interact with the viewers more, and I'm all about that =D

I have never played Monster in my Pocket, I'd love to give that a go, and I just picked up a copy of Yoshi's Island at a yard sale for $0.50, super stoked for that one.

Let me show you what the big boys played.  I love me some Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF, and all that, but if you want to swing a massive retro penis, let me show you the shit that tormented me and Flapjack.

Brainlord-  I bet all your fucking God of Wars and Resident Evils have made you soft as shit.  This game combines a basic, yet engaging 3rd person combat system with platforming and puzzle solving, and then it breaks you like the bitch you are.

UN Squadron- Oh yes, there will be Schmups.  Before all your fancy TouHou nonsense, thousands of unsuspecting youth were exposed to these games.  UN Squadron combines crazy difficulty with a wonderful cash into upgrades system that gnaws at you.  And it will gnaw mightily, since there are no saves and no passwords.  Enjoy!

R-Type 3- Take your average space shooter.  Add a mechanic that involves a detachable pod that you not only fire from but can shield you.  Blend it with a Freudian Nightmare.  This game is hard as balls and seriously goddamn weird.

Drakkhen-  Here's your RPG.  THis is what Final Fantasy would be if Gary Gygax sat at the center of a hivemind of the most Killer DMs in history.  Did you push the wrong level?  Your Scout was just vaporized.  Did you run into a cross at a crossroad?  Congratulations!  A giant doberman head is going to shoot fireballs from his eyes and one shot your party.  And that's just the beginning of the rabbit hole on this brutal game.

Battletoads in Battle Maniacs-  This is the remake of the infamous NES Battletoads.  Basically, you still get screwed in all the same ways, but now there is a badass rock soundtrack.

Contra 3- Not only one of the hardest games on the SNES, but the best Action-Hero Simulator until Just Cause 2.  Missile Riding may be involved.

Super Castlevania IV-  The big daddy of the classic Castlevanias.  There is nothing but you and Simon Belmont's trusty whip against everything Dracula has to throw at you.

E.V.O. The Search for Eden- Remember that part in Spore no one cared about?  This is like that, only 10,000 times better.  Evolve from a fish on a branching evolutionary path.  Don't expect to understand the plot, it is poorly translated.  Aliens and Mermaids factor in.  Gaia may or may not have a great rack.  And if you thought bees were assholes before...

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen- The start of a long term obsession between punishing Tactical JRPGs and Freddie Mercury. 

Capcom.  That is all.

That, Munsa, is the kind of post that Madcast Gaming both needs and deserves. I don't think I've played any of those games with the exception of R-Type III. Definitely looking forward to checking these out.

NES: River City Ransom (co-op street gang fighter)

NES: Super Dodge Ball (3v3 international dodge ball)

NES: Blades of Steel (NHL Hockey with line changes and FIGHTS!  Although with this game, the player who LOOSES the fight gets a 2 minute penalty and the winner does not.  There are no other rules besides icing.)

SNES: Mega Man Soccer (7 v 7 indoor soccer game with all the Mega Man characters with their powers.  The only problem with this game it was too easy to play against the AI... All you needed were 2 fast players on the bottom side of the screen.  Run the ball all the way to the opposing team's corner, pass it back, to the center half, to the center forward, auto score!  That and Woodman as a goalie... it was auto win every match...)

SNES: Robotrek (MY MOST PLAYED RPG OF ALL TIME!!!  LOVED THIS GAME!!!!)

SNES: Tetris Attack (PvP Tetris with shapes fed from the bottom up in a Yoshi style.  Great game!)

SNES: Troy Aikman NFL Football (One of the first football games with salaries and playbook making options, so long as it was a passing play)

SNES: Uniracers (a bazaar side scrolling racing game that was very fast and very fun.  Though after a while... the fast motions did make you sick to your stomach.)

N64: Operation Winback (Still own this game!  3rd person Action Shooter with a DEEEP story line to it!  Love this game!!  Probably one of the most under rated games of all time in-my-opinion.)

Edited by MadCast: Sabre Wolf