Soupcup

Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Beta

So Mojang has announced the Win10 Edition Beta for Minecraft, and so far it looks pretty neat. As the name suggests, it only works on Windows 10 and Windows 10-compatible devices (So a PC with Win10, Surface, Windows Phones, etc). Differently than the name suggests, this is a port of the Pocket Edition (PE) to work on PC. So it does not have all the features of the current standard, Java edition of Minecraft yet, however it does have the new, non buggy, unbreakable boats and got a huge update recently which gave it XP and the Nether and stuff. It also comes with controller support for the PC if you prefer it. Multiplayer is limited for now until a patch that should come soon-ish, along with a dedi server. I imagine they'll focus on updating all versions to match each other soon enough.

It should be noted that if you have the standard Java PC version of Minecraft, you can get this Win10 version for free from the Windows Store as long as you have Win10 as well. Otherwise, it costs $10 USD. And, you can also still use the standard Java PC version on Win10, so no worries there.

Basically what this seems to be intended to be is a unified C++ code base that can run anywhere. Since it's a PE port to PC, this means that this code base already works on iOS, Android, Windows Phones/tablets, and they've said that it would be pretty easy to port to Mac and Linux (or maybe it already works? Somewhat unclear), the reason that isn't the case at the moment is pretty much because the standard Java PC version covers Mac and Linux. Eventually, this new version will likely replace the Java version, but Tommo, a Mojang employee and PE dev, has stated, "This version is not meant to replace PC! PC will be PC at least until this other version will be moddable in a very good way". So basically the Java version will remain and be updated until the new version is as moddable as the Java version, and as implied by other posts by Tommo, ported to work with Mac and Linux. Mod devs will likely have a hard time with a switch to C++, and for new devs more experienced in C++ it'll be easier of course, but with official support it should be much better overall.

This unified code base basically streamlines the update process, so they don't have to update several different versions separately and instead all new code is compatible. This also allows phones, tablets, and Win10 versions to connect through multiplayer to one another (Xbox in the future as well if it isn't working already), which is pretty neat in my opinion. What really is the kicker is that this code base is extremely optimized, and as such should get rid of the performance issues many face with lower end PCs. This new version has been seen running on a Surface tablet at 60 fps easily, which is crazy to me. You can see a version of this in this video (it can be kind of hard to see the screen at times, but that's full render distance/high settings). 

All in all, I'm actually excited for it. I've always enjoyed Minecraft, though the often buggy and poorly optimized nature of the game, especially with mods, dragged it down a bit to me. As they progress with their goals and update it to match the standard version, things should really come together, and personally I feel all this conspiracy about them removing support for any platform that isn't Windows based to be unfounded (especially lately with Microsoft releases). The inter-compatibility between platforms is going to be a big thing, I imagine. We'll see as we go forward, I suppose I'm optimistic about it. If you'd like to see some more info or speculation and some conspiracy theory about this, here's a reddit megathread about it all.

People already have Win10 as a result of the Insider Preview thing. Basically beta testing it. Otherwise yes, on July 29th it'll just be available to anyone with genuine Win7 and Win8.1 for free, or if you don't have those things, it'll need to be purchased. 

For the Minecraft thing though, that doesn't become available until the 29th and will be on the Windows 10 Store.

Edited by MadCast: Soupcup

So I have to upgrade my PC to Win10 in order to get Minecraft?

Also, will there be a host server? Will our server stay the Java version?  Was kinda of getting the itch to play it again last night but didnt want to play alone.

Nah, we're not upgrading to it, for now. Basically we'll use the same Java version as it has all the features (pocket edition, which is what this Win10 edition is just for PCs, isn't at the same level as standard Minecraft). Also not to mention there isn't even a dedicated server for it, but I imagine that'll come at some point within the next few weeks-ish. Even then, we probably wouldn't use it until it was updated to match the PC version, though all in all that's something that will take a long time since it's so behind and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

But yeah, in order to get this new, completely separate edition from the normal Java PC Minecraft that you have now (it's not an update to it), you'll need Win10, and it'll be available on the 29th. You'll still be able to play the standard PC version even if you get it as well. 

I tell ya, I'll end up buying more versions of this game than i ever imagined :-)