MadCast: Khaos

Rise of the Mechans - Discussion Thread

Session Recordings:

Session 1

Session 2

Session 3

Session 4

Session 5 - May have ads because the WWE submitted a copyright claim for when I forgot to turn off the music that Munsa linked me.

Session 6

Session 7

Session 8 - Technical difficulties resulted in a recording with no audio.

Session 9

Session 10 - Audio doesn't kick in until about the 2 minute mark for some reason.

Session 11

Session 12

Session 13

Session 14

Session 15

Session 16

Session 17

Session 18

Juggernaut Prequel - Dungeon World Campaign (First 34m is character creation)

The Party:

Munsa - Beldroth - Eld Barbarian

Angelix - Shadowcrank - Mechan Rogue

2Clueless - Hunter - Human Ice Sorcerer

Caveman42 - BronzeLeaf - Warforged Transformer (Mood Druid Reskin)

Psycolistic - Eberk - Dwarf Life Cleric

We are playing 5e and have built our setting over in the Microscope Thread.

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

I will be in EST time zone soon but would be up for that. My sleep schedule is flexible.

Though I am concerned that my character will be rather short lived =P.

Would you be using the website roll20?

I would love to join I'm up for any format. I have a ton of experience with Pathefinder, as small bit with 3.5, 4.0, Palladium, and Rifts. I haven't delved into 5.0 yet though.

Edited by UnusedCaveman42

Awards

If we choose D&D I would push heavily for 5e. IMHO, when the developers of 4e branched off and made their own game they vastly improved 4e (13th Age). I'm curious how 5e has changed and how, if at all, it has incorporated elements of the modern story games.

If you are interested and around on TS around 10:45 PST we can chat about what type of game you'd be interested in.

If we choose D&D I would push heavily for 5e. IMHO, when the developers of 4e branched off and made their own game they vastly improved 4e (13th Age). I'm curious how 5e has changed and how, if at all, it has incorporated elements of the modern story games.

If you are interested and around on TS around 10:45 PST we can chat about what type of game you'd be interested in.

It has the complexity of 3.5 streamlined without the failure that were "encounter powers" as restrictions in 4E.

Nah the edit was a joke at LT's expense.

All you really missed is that we have enough interest to justify going forward and that we will be using 5e.

Planning on a groupgen session in two weekends, although I'm toying with the idea of using the Microscope rpg to have the group create the campaign setting together.

Most people seemed indifferent to setting type although leaning towards high fantasy with elements of steampunk. What would you like Angelix?

First off... high fantasy with elements of steampunk sounds... AWESOME.

Sort of a mix between OOTS, Girl Genius and Lord of the Rings all rolled into one (if any of those references are unfamiliar, to anyone, you need to check out all three ASAP =)

I looked up Microscope RPG very briefly to see what it is, and it looks interesting, though I have yet to actually delve into the meat of it.  Definitely not opposed to helping create the campaign setting though, sounds fun.

I haven't checked out all of the resources for 5e, but I don't recall seeing anything steampunk related (ie. classes or races).  Since this will obviously be a homebrew, are you open to class/race propositions that fit the theme?

I don't mind creating both (if it fits), following the power scale of existing races and classes of course, and subject to DM's review (again, of course).  I am playing in a 5e D&D campaign at the moment, so I have a decent idea of how the mechanics work.  

Also... I have no intention of being a munchkin, I just like flavour =)

I decided that I want to delve more into monk. I played one for a bit in another campaign but it was pretty short lived and I feel I didn't get to explore the class as much as I would've liked to.

Angelix,  I'm all for re-skinning existing classes, races, powers, etc (androids are just ironforged, firearms are just reskinned bows, wizard reskinned as psion etc), but I don't feel comfortable enough with the system to be able to identify imbalances in proposed homebrew items.  I'd prefer to avoid that, and I think that the breadth of options in the player's handbook should be enough to build almost any concept.  If you REALLY need something that isn't available we can talk about making it work.

I delved into Microscope today and I want to give it a try through the forums.  This is by no means mandatory, but if you would like to participate in building the campaign setting, then please join me in this thread.

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

Angelix,  I'm all for re-skinning existing classes, races, powers, etc (androids are just ironforged, firearms are just reskinned bows, wizard reskinned as psion etc), but I don't feel comfortable enough with the system to be able to identify imbalances in proposed homebrew items.  I'd prefer to avoid that, and I think that the breadth of options in the player's handbook should be enough to build almost any concept.  If you REALLY need something that isn't available we can talk about making it work.

Reskin is fine =)  I can definitely work with that.

If I have any ideas for other stuff, I'll run it by you, but I can appreciate wanting to know the system before you let your players make it even more complicated for you.

First post in this thread has each player's initial class choice if its been mentioned.  At the start of the first session in two weeks or so we can talk about the party dynamics and if anyone really needs to change.  My understanding from Munsa is that a healer is pretty much mandatory, although there are rules variants in the DMG that can get around that.