Jobotoo

New Website This Weekend

For quite some time the Adminsitration has been working on an update to our website.  Maday has been doing most of the work on this project for months and the fruit of his labor will soon be upon us.  The last time we did an upgrade was back in 2013 when we went from vBulletin to IPS, which is what we currently use.  The new website will be built using the newest iteration of IPS, which has been redesigned from scratch and will allow us to enjoy some newer technologies and make things easier and more pleasing to the eye.

With all of the great new features, we will also lose some that are not as crucial.  One of those is The Arcade which, to be honest, was hardly ever used anyway.  Some of the new features will be a nice upgrade and help with functionality.  Since most of these features or APPS have also been re-written, we have had to re-purchase them.  We had anticipated this and it has been part of our monthly donation goals which has helped make this a smooth happening without strain.  Also we figured last year that a few hundred dollars would end up being used in the future website upgrade from the resulting funds of the Battlefront server donation drive.  So we'll be using a small portion of those built up funds for this upgrade.  The cost of those apps is in the ballpark of what we had figured before, which was around $200-$300. 

Now why the sudden push to update the website by a certain time I imagine you all have that valid question on your mind at this point.  Our current version 3.4.x is reaching it's EOL (End Of Life) classification from IPS.  All feature development stops around March-April.  Security patches and tech support will continue until about October.  Come October, 3,4,x becomes officially EOL.  All development and support of any kind stops as of then.  Everything is being pushed to IPS 4, and with very good reason.  The ability to easily install upgrades is a huge thing with IPS 4.  The upgrade process is handled entirely and easily by clicks of buttons within the Admin CP.  I have been using this feature on the private development section I have running, and I must say the simplicity is amazing.  No more manually uploading and overwriting files.

The other reason to get this up and running now is so that we have it ready for MadCast's 9th Anniversary which we will be celebrating this April. 

While the upgrade is in progress the website will not be accessible. We will have TeamSpeak up and running. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We will have a channel up on TeamSpeak tomorrow where anyone who wants can hang out while the upgrade is in progress. We may even have a live-stream of the upgrade as it is being put together. 

Here is a screenshot of what the Home Page will look like once the new website is up and running:

2016mcwebdev4.png

Edited by MadCast: Jobotoo

Oh boy this is gonna take a bit to get used to. Everything's all fancy lookin'.

RIP all Signatures.

Edited by MadCast: Himntor

Awards

Very very nice job! Looks clean and awesome. Maday-you rock!

Awards

Like the new look, but am wondering if there's a way to make the "unread content" link available to mobile users without us having to use multiple menus.  This is by far the most used link for me, and I think it would be nice not to have to go through multiple menus 10 to 20 times everytime I check the website on my phone each day. 

Just curious if anyone else feels this way,  or if I am the only one who uses this link so often.

11 minutes ago, MadCast: Angelix said:

Like the new look, but am wondering if there's a way to make the "unread content" link available to mobile users without us having to use multiple menus.  This is by far the most used link for me, and I think it would be nice not to have to go through multiple menus 10 to 20 times everytime I check the website on my phone each day. 

Just curious if anyone else feels this way,  or if I am the only one who uses this link so often.

I've heard a few people say the same thing, the site is a bit unfriendly to mobile users.

Awards

I'm not sure if anyone else used the old website to check if there are people on TS (because I did) since it displayed the TS info and showed all channels and people in it. It was quite handy since being already on the website, might as well check if there are people on TS (especially if you are looking for someone).

Just out of curiosity tho, why was this removed? :o

Awards