MadCast: Scooba

Web Host Change and Discord Trial Run

I like Discord fine so far; however, I have been gone the last week due to vacation and weather, so I have not yet used the client enough to make an educated decision. If the lightning storms keep up, I may not be able to use it much at all in the next few days. I do miss the sub–channel feature of teamspeak, as well as the organized folder–like system that allowed you to find the channel you wanted at a glance.

Edit: It is worth noting that I've used Teamspeak a lot longer than Discord, and the only problem I've ever experienced with Teamspeak is being unable to stay in specific server at the same time as someone else connecting from my internet.

Edited by Newt

I have enjoyed Discord, after some time to tweak settings (which only took a very short "trial and error" period) I found it to be better than TS3. I haven't used TS3 very much or very long, much like Discord. I feel that the audio from Discord is cleaner, that could only be me, people seem to have more of a grainy sound for me on TS3. Discord does take more processing power which is one issue that I do have with it, this is made up for with, in my opinion, a simpler user interface as well as a cleaner look. It functions well while streaming, something I have had issues with while using TS3.

22 hours ago, MadCast: simbaca said:

its weird.... really weird.  ill get used to anything but change is HARD, im so used to a client vs launching a browser.

You don't have to launch it in a browser. There is an actual desktop application you can download and run. Works much better. The web based client is just a great extra feature if you're somewhere you can't install programs.

As for my experience so far, I'm a huge fan. I like anything that can save the community money, and the only real downside I see for the future is the sub-channels thing. But it seems like the devs are super awesome at implementing wanted features, such as per-server nicknames and the like, that I would imagine it wouldn't be too terribly long until sub-channels were a thing. I love the ability to quickly switch back and forth between servers and the chat capabilities are very nice as well.

I've had an issue a few times now where my mouse cursor suddenly appears while playing Overwatch.  The issue is that the cursor is completely separate from the aiming recticle, and will max out my rotation when it slams against the side of the screen, essentially denying me from joining the ranks of  all those illustrius Ambi-Turners out there.  Ie. everyone else.   Someone on the battlenet forums said that they fixed the issue by closing Discord and Steam.  I'm not sure how those would be related, but it's interesting to note.

Just closing and reopening my game does not fix it.  I think that swapping back to fullscreen mode does however also fix the issue.  That said, it has happened a few times now, and I never changed my settings away from fullscreen, so it appears to be a bug that I can't reliably get rid of.  Just hoping that it's not actually associated with Discord.

I think Discord beats TS and Vent any day. For me, its the ping. TS3 would give me insane ping spikes. I'm talking 4000 +- 500 ping at times, for no reason and it would only be TS. Discord (for months) has been great in terms of ping stability for me. People have brought up that they dislike the chat because of our community size, but all it takes is joining a different chat channel. Unlike TS, the text and voice channels are separate, meaning you can be in a voice channel and still be in the general chat. This will take some time to get used to, but overall, I do not see this as a looming issue. Yes, it is different, but it is not lacking. The social integration, specifically Twitch, allows users to see when people are streaming and can avoid disruptions unlike TS. The user settings are flexible in the sense that it does not require you to ask someone to turn down their mic volume or turn up their mic volume for you to be comfortable. Every user is adjustable on your client side, (very similar to TS).

I think this change is a step in the right direction simply for the fact that it allows users to download or use the browser and the functionality is almost the same. With all the different programs we can use alongside our games, its refreshing to be able to not have to download another program.

I've used a bit of Discord recently as well. I think it works alright. I share other concerns above about lack of channel creation (that could be a huge headache) and about the UI. Frankly, the UI is garbage. I'd like to beat whoever thought it was a good idea with a stick, and then do the same to their ancestry. Otherwise, it works fine, and if it's cheaper, it makes more sense to me. I'd like the burden of running our stuff to go down without sacrificing quality. Discord works as a voip program well from my experiences- I just hate the UI with a fiery passion.

Such is life, however. I'll get over me.

Discord and I have a love hate relationship.  I like it, but sometimes it spurns me.  Yesterday when I would bring up another program like chrome it would sometimes cut out and not permit my push to talk button to activate until I brought the discord back to the forefront.  I also noticed this Sarurday morning when I logged into Roll 20 to play in Khaos' D&D game.  Again, may not have been running the app as administrator. 

26 minutes ago, MadCast: Angelix said:

Discord and I have a love hate relationship.  I like it, but sometimes it spurns me.  Yesterday when I would bring up another program like chrome it would sometimes cut out and not permit my push to talk button to activate until I brought the discord back to the forefront.  I also noticed this Sarurday morning when I logged into Roll 20 to play in Khaos' D&D game.  Again, may not have been running the app as administrator. 

I've run into this problem as well, running it as admin fixed it for me. To be fair, I've ran into this same issue with Mumble and TS3 when not running as admin.