MadCast: Sotarkadin

Overwatch Competitive Summer Season

Well the first season of competitive play is here.  I am making this thread for those who want to post their skill "rank" so if they want to group with others. 

Patch Notes for Competitive mode are here ---->>> Source

Some of the highlights:

• Must be level 25 to queue.
  • Play 10 placement matches will give you a skill rank between 1-100.  
  • Each season will last about 3 months and coincide with the Seasons of the year, i.e. Summer, Fall, etc.
  • Just for completing your placement matches you will get a player icon and spray at the end of the season.
  • You earn points for winning and such through out the season , at the end of the season you can trade those points for Cosmetic Golden Weapons.

Competitive List

None

Edited by MadCast: Sotarkadin

I played three placement matches tonight all as mercy.  Game 1 one person left, then another, after a few minutes it was 2v6, we lost.  2nd game took it to sudden death and lost a hard fought battle.  3rd game took it to sudden death and won a hard fought battle in overtime, got PotG with a 5 man rez on Mercy while defending point B.  Might wait a few days to play the rest.

Currently 1-2

Had a rough first match with Rife, Scaldo, and Sotar.  The pubbie 76 was alternately AFK and not targetting Pharah, and the other was a perma-genji.  Second match was one of my best ever, capped by a 4 man environmental PotG with Winston on Nepal: Shrine.  Third game had another AFK.

The banter going about was that playing with a sixer would be harder, but the Russian Roulette Pub Factor is on full blast.  See y'all after the meeting tonight.

Finished my placements with a 8-2 record.  Played with Junodavidw, Rife, and Spiceepicklez

Starting out at 53 for me.

We pretty much all landed in the range of 50-56

Did my placements with a crew of 3 and 4.  Running as a crew of 4 we did come across a group of 5 much higher leveled folks and we got crushed.  So running with more certainly opens that possibility of coming across much more organized groups.  I honestly think we must have gotten very lucky in the run of games we played as our placements to where our pubs were always there for the most part.  I certainly had the freedom to play whatever I wanted at the first few matches, but near the end of the matches I could tell the system was getting us matched closer to our skills and was getting forced into support role more to make sure it was done right at the higher skill level.  A bad support at higher skill levels will get your team crushed and demoralized in a quick fashion.

Also note that coming to competitive, you need to get quicker on the draw on switching to your proper counters you are best skilled at.  Delays and waiting too long to switch out to something to better counter what you are playing against can quickly lose you the round.  Identifying the enemy characters causing the problems quickly plays a part in there as well.  Coordinated pushes through choke points, and so on.

Apparently I am being punished by RNGeezus.  Played 6 placement matches, every single one has had a leaver or two(one match had 4 on my team).  I got a team that went double Torb, and neither wanted to switch.  I have gotten double Bastions.  I have played Reinhardt and Mercy to the best of my ability but the stress is crushing my soul.

I am hoping with Competitive out, that in a few weeks we can maybe do some training/dojo style stuff like is done with HotS.  More understanding of team comps and what works best when attacking/defending and how to counter would be great help.

Edited by MadCast: Sotarkadin

Went 7-3 in my placements, rank 56.

I will resort to ol' blaming my teammates for the losses (albeit two of those losses is because of one guaranteed weak link on an attack character).  Honestly should have given up only 1 win (really close game).

Edited by MadCast: DanKnee

Went 4-6 and got rank 47. Seems like everyone ends up in the 40s or 50s. Need to work on becoming competent with more heroes, and switching at the proper times.

Awards

I feel like for me I play to the level of my teammates.  When I group with people like Maday and Scooba who are better than me I feel like I can perform enough to not hinder the team, but when in solo and around people of lower skill apparently I become really bad and go like 0-15.

Looks like there is a known bug right now where KotH maps both give you less rank for a win, and punish you less for a loss.  This means that being really good at KotH, and worse at Payload, Capture Point, or Hybrid maps is going to feel really bad.  Basically, if you get KotH while playing competitive, it's not going to mean much rank-wise either way until they get it patched (or they also said they might pull KotH out of rotation until they can get a fix in).  Just a heads up.

Finished my placements a resounding 4-6.  Rank 40  

The Sudden Death Coin Flip really twisted the dagger in deep for me, as our team won every attack round on payload handily, but lost every defense in Overtime.  Then every coinflip put us on the defender side and we couldn't keep them out of the first point.  

Do your competitive points save each season? like to buy the gold guns and stuff? or do you need to get at least 300 or you can't get one at all because of a reset instead of saving over 2 seasons or what not

Awards

The ranking system is pretty broken. I'm a support main, and get a small increase after a win and get crushed after a loss. It moves you up or down based on "contribution" to the team. It appears that this is based purely on your medals. If you play Lucio on offense and Mercy on defense, you are very likely to have only 1 gold medal for healing.  But heroes like 76 or Roadhog can easily get 5 medals with 2-3 golds. Your performance as a healer is greatly dependent on your teammates. Are they defending you, are they staying near you so you can heal them, are they crushing so hard that they aren't even taking damage for you to heal, and so on.

C9 queued up together and won all 10 placements. They played the same games against the same opponents. Surefour, who mains Pharah, got rank 77. Adam, who mains Mercy, got 67. https://www.twitch.tv/surefour/v/75155128?t=03h06m01s

If you only play Hanzo/Widow/Genji/Reaper etc no matter what every game, you will have more "skill" than the people who are willing to fill out the team. I'm not sure how Blizzard creates an amazing game then releases a system based on "Reaper had more kills than Mercy so the Reaper player is the more skilled player."

Awards

Considering that I intended to main support, I may just wait until they fix the ranking system before I do my placement matches.

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

The underdog system also cripples you when ranking.  As of right now I have yet to play against a team that has a higher combined rank than the team I am on and that means when I win I get little to no XP, but when I lose I get docked damn near a full level.  

Not to mention the penalty for leavers.  If someone leaves on the other team even at the very end it cuts your xp gain down to less than a 10th of a level.  

Lots of rushed mechanics in the current iteration of ranked play.