MadCast: Sotarkadin

The Adventures of Building My First PC.

A few months ago I decided I needed a new PC.  The one I was using was between 6-8 years old.  Overwatch had been out a month and I was playing on LOW getting 30 FPS.  I started looking around at sites like cyberpowerpc and ibuypower.  The prices for PCs were in my budget but based on the little I knew about PC components I wasn't sure which one to get.  After doing some research I came to the realization the only logical way to go was to build one myself.  I could build the same PC I would find on their for half the price or spend the same amount of money I would on their and get the twice the PC.  The decision has been made, I was going to build my first PC.

I started looking around reading articles, threads, forums and I had no idea what any of it meant.  So I decided to reach out to my best friend in the whole world, @MadCast: Scooba to find out if he could help me.  After a few weeks of back and forth and discussions on what I wanted to do with the PC how current I wanted the parts to be(I have never owned close to current gen GPU or CPUs, I always bought what was cheap and had been 3 generations or so behind.)  Once the list had been made it came time to order, I have never really taken advantage of my Amazon Prime membership until now.  Every part, cable and extra piece I needed had been ordered and not one dollar had been spent on shipping.

After about a week all of the different shipments had come in and I had all of the parts, I was ready to go.  I laid them all out on the table staring proudly at what this pile of plastic and metal would become.  I was ready for this, I had read dozens of guides and watch dozens of videos on the different steps and what order to do it in what to look out for.  I WAS PREPARED!!!!

Step 1, the step I was most afraid of mount the CPU on the motherboard.  I opened the mobo and it didn't quite look like the picture I remember when I ordered it, oh well no big deal.  I open the processor, hmm it doesn't seem to fit, the notches don't line up.  Don't panic, let's just watch the video again and figure out what I am doing wrong.  Everything I am doing seems right.  OK, lets look up the motherboard and processor.  Hmm mobo is 1150 chipset, processor is 1151, that shouldn't matter, should it?  Oh but it does, two completely different things.  Frantic scrambling ensues.  Oh God!!! I ordered the wrong part, was it the mother board or the processor.  Quick searching through lists on pcpartpicker, looking through notes I had taken while talking to Scooba.  Ok the processor is right, it's the motherboard, damnit, I have the wrong one.  Great now I have to go to Amazon and say, "Hey I fucked up and ordered the wrong part, I need to exchange it."  I was not looking forward to that, I had never dealt with their customer service and wasn't sure what was going to happen.  As I log into my Amazon account and go to my order history to get my order number, a ray of light shines above my desk. I did not order the wrong motherboard, they sent me the wrong one.  The one they sent is definitely not the one I see in my order history.  I was relieved it would be so much easier now to explain.  An hour later the issue has been handled, the new motherboard is on it's way and should be here within a week.

Two weeks later, after the correct part has arrived and I have the time to sit down and do this again, I once again watch the videos I had bookmarked and prepare myself for what was to come next.

CPU to motherboard, oh this is cake(now that I have the ones that match each other).  Cooling system attached to processor, Ram set, etc.  After this it became easier.  Everything went in it's spot, everything connect correctly.  This experience has been so much fun.  There is something satisfying to me knowing that what I am now typing to you on, I built myself.  I know it all works, I tested it.  One of the first things I noticed was Windows.  Before this I always had prebuilt PCs bought off of those aforementioned websites or from Bestbuy and the likes.  Windows is so much cleaner without all the extra stuff they install and put on there.

TLDR - Built a new PC had some issues, nothing to big and will now never buy a prebuilt again.

For those who are just inerested in the parts.

Old PC - AMD Phenom II X4 925, GE Force GT740, 8 GB RAM, stock Keyboard and mouse, 21" monitor

New PC - Intel i7-6700K, GTX970, ASUS H170 mobo , 16 GB RAM, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SSD, MK2016 Cherry Red Switch Mechanical Keyboard, Razer Deathadder ChromaACER 27" 144Hz monitor, ACER 27" 60Hz monitor, HyperX Cloud II Headset

Album for build.

F8nAciC.jpgzNKY2wS.jpgG5KV2q5.jpgmZutMGv.jpgtZpmWEt.jpgRccTD8o.jpgNsC4miC.jpgtrnJtML.jpgvIR8EQE.jpgIxg3eO1.jpgKxtfcQi.jpghYP7BcG.jpg

Edited by MadCast: Sotarkadin

Before I started travelling all the time for work I used to build my own PCs. Much better deal.

Now I need to buy gaming laptops because they still don't sell the parts to build them yourself, and if I had a desktop I would only get half as much gaming in =(

I built my own PC with the help of MadCast. It was the best decision I made. Yours is much cooler than mine though. Mine was a budget build though. It plays all the games I want to play pretty well though.

Edited by MadCast: Emaxxy

@MadCast: Sotarkadin, you may need to remove the spoiler tags; I can't open the spoiler. May be bugged for the site still. 

Very cool, building my own comp soon and will definitely be using the resources of knowledge my friends have here. Seems daunting, but by your account it was just Lego! Thanks for the post!

Just read this 

Thanks for the great read!  Will refer to this post when I build my own :P 

Currently on an asus i7 laptop, it gets the job done

42 minutes ago, DKnug said:

Just read this 

Thanks for the great read!  Will refer to this post when I build my own :P 

Currently on an asus i7 laptop, it gets the job done

Glad you liked it, it was alot of fun to do actually.

One update to this, the video card went out on my wife's PC(it was abotu 3 years old).  So I gave her the 970 I had bought for this build and got myself a brand new 1060 instead.  Everybody win's.

5 hours ago, MadCast: Jobotoo said:

Baby steps . . . this was his first build, and when on a budget, WC is not the way to go. 

That is true, something I should have considered. There was this guy who took apart a fridge and used the parts to make his own custom water cooling system for his build. It was pretty awesome to see.