MadCast: Munsa

Planescape 5E Conversion

Current plans for Tuesday:

Breezey uses smuggling contacts to fence the platinum bars.

Jenny goes to the Sensates and trades the pyramid for some phat loot.

Stacks goes over his books then finds a Used Book Store.

Ragloc- ????

Also, are we using the Sane Magical Item list for this game Munsa?

74385729.jpg

Items will be first thing on the agenda tonight.  I think I'd like to use the sane prices as a baseline, but I also want to stick to the attunement rules, and keep a general cover on perhaps the power level of the party, but not the utility level.

However, you might want to save some money for the upcoming adventure, the nature of which will be divulged first thing.

Something I really appreciated last night, and in our sessions as a whole, is how you guys are impulsive, but purposefully so.  The scene with the server in particular really enshrines this.  It really makes my job as a GM easier that I can let you guys take the reins and you'll do interesting shit that doesn't wreck the plot, but still makes me think on my feet.  Thanks for that.

Next week, hunting and being hunted.

The Gutter.jpg

The Gutter

A notorious and brutal ghetto, The Gutter is one of the few oddly isolated places in the City of Doors.   Originally a massive project undertaken by the Godsmen, prominent wizard's colleges, and wealthy private interests, The Gutter is now a stronghold for those who prefer to remain hidden.  Their goal was to create a series of magically automated factories, but their implementation of such potent magics fundamentally altered the lower class residential areas surrounding the area.  As the factories began to grow, like a rusty kudzu, a small city's worth of laborers and impoverished families were surrounded by a ring of living factories overnight.  Beyond the physical isolation, the terrain of the Gutter is akin to a different plane.  All precious metals, gems, coins, even paper deeds or bonds disintegrate over a manner of minutes.  Weapons, armor, equipment, and the building materials of the area are unaffected.

The only direct ways into the Gutter are through the factories themselves (that still churn out product for huge manufacturing interests), or through a single public portal that leads to a small barter market where the residents of the Gutter eke out a living selling crafts, food, and drink to tourists here to see the anomalous area from an agreed upon safe place.  Known as the Shiner's Market colloquially, it is the only place the Harmonium or any other force of law has any presence or authority.  Beyond the bounds of the Market and a few adjacent commercial ventures, The Gutter is ruled by the people.  To say it another way, The Gutter is ruled by crime, sociopaths, and warlords.  As long as the business of The Gutter remains within the rusted barricade, the City is content to tolerate it.  

Within the Gutter is a unique culture.  The market to the outside is known as a cultural must-see, being run entirely on a barter system. Tools and implements too fine to be crafted with re purposed technomagical machinery are highly sought after by the entrepreneurs with a clean enough record (or a good enough disguise) to do business there.  The people of The Gutter have a cuisine all their own, in large part because no sane individual allows their mind to wonder where the ingredients come from.  It is considered a right of passage among the lower classes of Sigil to have braved a bowl of Gutter Stew. 

There is a twisted honor among the residents.  The market and the few taverns that exist are considered safe ground from any violence.  Fire is universally shunned by even the most sadistic crime gang, with street wars having been stopped wholesale by the participants halting to form a bucket line.  Those of the community who brave the automated factories to "salvage" supplies are treated as heroes.  Almost as highly regarded are the players of a brutal game similar to Rugby, if it were played in apocalyptic looking metal armor and with an industrial steel bearing as the ball.  The various neighborhoods of The Gutter each sport a team, and the relations between the teams, their fans, and politics of the community are closely tied.

Crime is a way of life in The Gutter, with smugglers, fences, and thieving operations running from relative safety within, moving through unknown methods between Sigil proper and The Gutter itself.  Often times a more violent operation, slavers or worse, attempts to set up in The Gutter, only to find that while the residents will gladly murder each other, they take an ill view of outsiders who cause trouble.

Ah! Hello cutter, welcome to the Rorty Rooster! What can I do you for? Come to try the taps or call kip for a while?

...something wrong? You look stretched to the rakers. Just gave 'em the laugh? Or maybe you just really piked off a body...

...ah, no, I know that glooming look. You poor sod. Twixt the Lady and the 'loths. Whoever's after you, you'd even pray to the Lady to see 'im Styxed, wouldn't you?

It's no accusation, even the best of us sometimes end up having the right spell key on the wrong plane. What if I told you someone could have your problem counting worms in a tick or three, and it'd only cost you gelt?

Hah, I knew I'd catch your attention. Well, here's the dark of it. Most urchins 'round the Hive, they're more direct in their methods, nicking unattentive berks of their jink and living off of it for a turn or two. This kid? He's a Scriber, through and through. Don't give me that look, this ain't no slaad-story! I've seen it myself! Some foaming berk was swinging his sword around, likely bubbed out of his brain-box, and this kid draws a spike out of thin air and makes him bite iron! Well appreciated mind you, guy was one of the unhendest bashers that ever stumbled in here, but it was like bearing witness to a blizzard in Baator!

So yeah. Vicious little biter. Must be absolutely barmy, killing for a living instead of just bobbing coneys. On the other hand, some other cutters have said they've seen him put the dazzle on someone to put 'em in the dead-book. Now I doubt he's a spellsinger, that's thinking in rules of sevens. I'd say he got himself skinned. There's no limit to what fiends might pull off, other than it can't be anything good.

But enough wigwag. You need someone boxed on the cheap, put a word out for 'the Fledgling Crow'. He'll find you before long and put your mind at ease, sure as Sigil.

crow.png

Things the party learned last night:

• The knock off Dreamspheres are being produced by a group known as Dead Steel
  • Dead Steel operates out of The Abattoir, the massive living factory encircling The Gutter.
  • The Butcher Boys are a neighborhood gang that protect their turf, run food, purified water, and prostitution.
  • The Shankers run assassination, extortion, and robbery services all over Sigil, have knowledge of a safe route out of The Gutter.
  • The Shankers, a relatively small operation, are planning to attack the Butchers, who control a sizable percentage of The Gutter.
  • Prince has zero game, but knows when a hooker is lying.
  • Rife is a sleepy nerdboy.

Clem's past experience with the Butcher Boys made him the dwarf he is today.

Also, 1 million hearts to:

36 minutes ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

6 hours ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

• The knock off Dreamspheres are being produced by a group known as Dead Steel
  • Dead Steel operates out of The Abattoir, the massive living factory encircling The Gutter.
  • The Butcher Boys are a neighborhood gang that protect their turf, run food, purified water, and prostitution.
  • The Shankers run assassination, extortion, and robbery services all over Sigil, have knowledge of a safe route out of The Gutter.
  • The Shankers, a relatively small operation, are planning to attack the Butchers, who control a sizable percentage of The Gutter.

Hey, I wasn't trying to run game I was trying to figure out what she was doing around those parts.  She was almost as out of place as we were. Unlike Jenny, I'm almost always looking for business first and pleasure later.

I think I am going to snap up a plus subscription to Roll20 for the Dynamic Lighting, increased storage space, and general QoL improvements.

I've also been advised that https://www.watch2gether.com/ might be a nice solution for music, as it would allow anyone to play a song at any time.

As you are all discussing your next move, Stack's eyes are drawn to a shoddy corkboard on the wall near the bar.  Pinned to it are several sodden notes, worn with age and illegible.  One flyer, however, appears relatively new.  The majority of it seems to be a long legal disclaimer written either by an extremely sage and accomplished legal mind, or a raving lunatic.  At the end of the paragraphs of legalese, which rambles into five different languages, the bottom reads:

Archo, the Generously Called Completely Sane Body Modification Enthusiast

• 10 Cogs - Full body color realignment. Client may change their hair, eye, and skin color to whatever they choose.
  • 15 Cogs - The Everwhite, Perfectly Safe, Not-at-all-Acidic, Tooth Treatment (+1 Bonus to all Persuasion Checks unless you do not practice good dental hygiene)
  • 25 Cogs - The Tattoo totally not made from Beholder Eyeball Ichor. Gives a +1 to initiative rolls due to increased awareness. Guaranteed not to bud into a vicious, insane beholder.
  • 500 Cogs - Did you know pig flesh is really close to most humanoid flesh? Oh, no reason. This muscular augmentation is in it's early stages, and requires a non-disclosure agreement. Ask about the DEDICATED RESEARCH SPECIMEN ASSISTANT program to be on the ground floor of this new opportunity at no cost to you!

That's neato.  I still think I prefer the cleanliness of the tokens created with the Token Tool, but having the stats in the client will be very convenient.

Also, I'm totally throwing down for a plus account.  Between the music/sounds I've got lined up, automatic lighting, and the party hell bent to see how big a chunk they can't chew, someone is going to shit their pants.

Also, party, the inclusion of Dynamic Lighting means we will need to pay greater attention to sources of light for the party.  Your expanded adventuring packs have a ready supply of torches, but that is hardly the only option for creative souls.  If you have any creative ideas on creating light sources, please hash them out in the thread so I can have them mechanically ready to go on Tuesday.