MadCast: Munsa

Planescape 5E Conversion

Faustus burbles in what might be translated as the cephalopod equivalent of a chuckle.

"You are right to speculate, human.  We watch.  We learn."

A vision forms in each of your minds of a vast pool of turgid liquid.  Around the pool are Illlithids, each engaged in different tasks.  Some are grinding an unknown substance in large mortar and pestles, dumping their contents into the pool where it is quickly mobbed by schools of tadpoles.  Others stand in the edge of the water in a deep trance.  Below the surface of the still pool is a large, distorted mass.  As your collective mind's eyes are forced below the surface of the liquid, the mass takes shape.

3ccb59e623799954d1af93da984e54b7.jpg

Floating in the miasmic liquid is a massive, betentacled brain.  The tentacles gently sway, caressing tadpoles that swim about it.  The vision fades, but not before the brain shifts slightly, as if the faceless aberration was acknowledging your presence.

"The knowledge of countless lost civilizations, the languages of long dead gods, and the power of inexorable dominance is our birthright.  Be happy that our goals and yours are temporarily aligned, for you are like leaves before a hurricane."

How could the game go anywhere but downhill with Spooky exiting stage left?

On a more serious note, I believe that Spooky needs to find himself a traveller's cask of Everful Beer, his favourite kind.  His traveller's mug didn't even last him halfway through the conversation with Faustus!

Reward Recap:

• Level Up to 7
  • Pick one attribute to gain proficiency in
  • All PC's may cast the non-offensive version of Plane Shift, self-only, once per long rest.
  • 22,000 gold per character (see below)

Additionally, we are going to take a month of downtime before the next mission.  This is a month during which several events in Sigil happen.  The government of Sigil, represented by The Fraternity of Order, issues both written and verbal proclamations about the "emergency demolition" of The Abattoir as a direct threat to The Fulcrum, with little to no mention of the surrounding events, particularly those of the party.  Nevertheless, the people of Sigil gossip like a horde of washerwomen, and you lot become the focus of both upper society and the millions of entities that make up Sigil.  Even the normally-insane Xaositects recognize that omniversal annihilation is perhaps a bit much.  Attention and gratitude comes from everyone's path you cross.

After a quick meeting with Marku, you capitalize on a high demand for dreamspheres as well as a temporary craze in collecting the cogs that formerly served as The Gutter's currency.  For each party member, your net profits after some "generous" donations (taxation) toward the civil services that will rebuild the gutter total 20,000 gold per member.

Duncan returned shortly after your 2nd day in The Gutter.  He would have been harsher in his questions about your extra curricular operation if the Aquisitor's weren't now awash in work and wealth.  Additionally, your unique reward from The Lady of Pain has made you the most effective team in the guild. While you now have the privilege of going only on the most sensitive and profitable excursions, you are responsible for training new recruits.  While you will still receive top wages for individual jobs, you now have a monthly salary of 2,000 gold.

Despite your new duties as instructors, you have a lot of free time, and a LOT of disposable income.  I want to know what these characters get up to.  Is it time to pay off debts?  A new home?  A special project?  If that doesn't scratch your storytelling itch, I would like to read a scene or know about how your characters go about training AG recruits and who those recruits are.  Whether one of these suggestions or something off your dome, I would like to see something from each PC detailing an aspect of your downtime operations.  As always, more player input just means less work for me, something I always approve of.

Reflecting on last night and The Gutter as a whole, I couldn't be happier.  Despite some mechanical errors on my part, I felt that my initial vision for the arc stayed true while allowing a lot of player impact.  You made allies where I didn't expect, subverted my expectations for party decisions in the best ways, and I feel like I understand these characters deeper than before.  I think the next excursion should be 1-2 sessions, but I will be HAPPY to devote a session to a filthy bunch of rogues-turned-celebrity getting up to bullshit in Sigil, or perhaps even using their newfound abilities to pay off their debts in a different way.  If that last bit catches anyone's fancy, find me some evening so we can chat about what a backstory-centric adventure should look like.

Things Jenny is doing at the end of these events and shortly thereafter-

1. Engaging Dr. Archo for some work. 

Jenny disappeared shortly after the problems were handled in the Gutter. She had something left to do before they didn't visit for quite some time. She made her way back down to the gutter, into the dark corners, gripping a tattered piece of linen-based paper. The printer had gone to the trouble of using a cloth-based paper, but otherwise, they had clearly used the cheapest, most recycled materials available. Jenny rode Llewelyn in sometimes ankle deep filth as she finally came upon a large shack. She knocked twice, then waited. After several moments, the door parted from the wall to reveal nothing but a dark hallway. After a moment, a hand lifted out of the darkness and one finger beckoned her in. She didn't know what to expect, but she felt little trepidation. She had just participated in a battle between gods, and won! She rode her wolf in and saw a vaguely humanoid shape in a cloak leading her down the hall to a room with a lamp and an examination table. She hopped from the wolf's back to the table and adjusted herself, getting comfortable. Llewelyn found a corner he liked and simply curled up, one eye warily cast upon the door.

Llewelyn's yip of alarm broke the silence as the cloaked shape returned. The assistant, for Dr. Archo certainly was not this misshapen, quiet creature, seemed to stare into her with an inquisitive glance. it was difficult to interpret; the creatures features seemed almost melted as if it had been held too close to a fire for too long. She wordlessly held up the paper in her hand. One one side, it seemed to be an advertisement with a list of services. On the other, it seemed to be a series of crude drawings. She offered the drawings to the assistant. A ghastly hand, not matching in color to the face, takes it and studies it. After a moment, the grotesque visage breaks into a leering grin. 

2. Shopping Spree! Jenny goes out on the town looking to pick up the following-> +1 orbs for her gear and Horseshoes of the Zephyr and a Heward's Handy Haversack. This comes to  1800 + 1500 + 2000 = 5,300, if available. Certainly interested in Jeb's emporium if the list is getting updated. 

3. Jenny drops off a Finder's Pot of 5,000 gold at Jeb's. Keep an eye out for anything exciting for her wolf or for her crossbow.

Jenny rode into the Emporium grinning. She flagged down Jeb and waited for him to head over, almost bouncing in her seat. Jeb flittered over to her and looked up at her. "Well, looks like you folks are all big damn heroes." Jenny shrugged and then dropped a sack of gold nearly the size of Jeb next to him. "There's 4,000 pieces in there." She cocked an eye at Jeb. "I know you've been keeping an eye out for some parts for me. Well, I managed to find what I was looking for out on my journies." She unhooked her crossbow and set it down next to Jeb. Jeb looked it over and gave a low whistle. "That's a mighty fine crossbow, Jenny." He looked up at her. "Don't suppose you need anything today with that cash?"

Jenny shook her head. "Interested in perusing those wares, but the sack is for you to keep your eyes open for anything to upgrade this crossbow or some magic for my pup. So you can pick it up and hold it for me, and I can pay the difference if needed." Jeb nodded slowly. "Might be I have a thing or two you'd find in the back.." he lead her off to go take a look at what he had.

4. Jenny spreads the word that 'Alyssa's and (husbands) tailor shop' is where the good ol' boys get their goods. She also stops by and drops a hefty donation (1000) on them for a full set of duds for a variety of occasions. She tends to favor a green and purple motif, typically wearing green clothing with floral inspired purple, red, and orange. She encourages them to hire some talent and upgrade their shop and offers to spend up to another 1,000 for stakes in the shop and a portion of profits.

5. Jenny stops by their masterwork tools enhanced blacksmith apprentice friend, drops 2,000 on furthering his education/investment/shares as determined by Munsa, and if he has some obvious skill to the layman, sends out rumors that he's where the group goes for the work he can manage.

6. Jenny drops off 5,000 gold for whoever they nominated to lead day to day operations in the Shankers to invest in rebuilding the brand and getting on their feet. She reminds them that she expects loyalty and results.

7. Jenny spends whatever is left, to the last penny, on benders enjoying the new experiences open to her. As part of this, she works to join the Sensates as a member of whatever standing is available.

8. For training, Jenny specifically teaches the new recruits infil and exfil techniques. She actually takes to it fairly well and enjoys devising new problems for them to overcome and 'torturing' the recruits for their mistakes. Given the open nature of the guild as an organization, she even takes some of them to bed- promising punishments for anyone who is seen entering or leaving the site of their extra-curricular activities.

Edited by MadCast: VoShay

So Breeze is very much focused on expanding his legacy and would have spent his time doing such. First things first, he'd be taking advantage of the fact that there has been a shift in power due to the popularity of Dreamspheres and the rise of many of the lower caste to higher stations due to their newfound wealth. This would please Breeze in one way, because he'd be part of the rising tide and know people who are now wealthy and powerful. The thing that would not please him is that they are also taking advantage of the market for Dreamspheres. Thus, he'd been working tirelessly with Markuu to improve how Dreamspheres work. He knew eventually the market for the Dreamsphere would die down for people are relatively boring and their wants and needs for Dreams are unexciting. In a drunken story telling session with the new noble folk, he'd realized he had them all enthralled by his story of how he and the crew saved the Gutter with the Lady of Pain, and then it hit him. His memories would make the best Dreamsphere experience. 

Over the course of the month he'd spent a considerable chunk of his gold recruiting the smartest men he could find to help him duplicated his memory of the crews' last adventure until they came up with a device that was able to copy his memory to the Dreamspheres and put them into mass production. Needless to say, this was a tremendous hit, and no one else selling Dreamspheres had access to something quite like what he and Markuu had come up with. This however, was only the beginning for Breeze. He realized that he only had so many memories to pull from, and not everyone would want to be the murderous rogue that he was. So phase 2 of the operation was to find more people with more interesting memories to create Dreamspheres from. He'd hired both nobles and mercenaries alike to help him with this task. Either pay or recruit other famous folk, adventurers, actors, performers, nobles, etc,. to share their memories to be sold as Dreamspheres. Because of his fame due to most folk now having shared his experience in saving the planes, he'd had no problems recruiting folk to share their memories as Dreamspheres and the ones that didn't take the payment so peacefully... well Breeze certainly has a way with people.

As a result of this, I'd imagine a few things would result. Markuu would become the go to merchant in the Lady's Ward. No one else would be making any money selling Dreamspheres, and thus he'd have raised the prices to exorbitant amounts for nobles for the New Dreamspheres and dropped the prices so low on the old ones others that all the competition dries up. Breeze and the crew become household names. While no one knows that Breeze is involved with the production of the Dreamspheres, they know that he was the first to volunteer his memories for them and he'd now had many people that both adore him and hate him for his rise. Breeze spent 15k of his gold acquired into recruitment and science for crafting the new Dreamsphere or DS2 as they call in it the Wards. Because he'd been training  Aquisitor's  guild recruits, he'd also been pulling the most dangerous ones for his side biz as he needed men well equipped for drugging and kidnapping the most famous of adventurers for crafting new Dreamspheres. Due to this, all but 500g of his monthly payment for training is all paid out to his recruits for when they are not doing missions for the guild, they are doing them for him. As an aside, Breeze is not looking to pay off his bounty in being wanted for the death of Kaylessa but instead is using his network to find any information regarding Rekon and if he's found giving him the option of paying off Breeze's bounty or coming to work for Breeze again. This thread remains unresolved.

Things Crow gets up to after the silencing of the Abattoir:

1. Stopping at the Laughing Madman for a cup of tea and, if he sees her, talking to Ophelia and giving her the gold to get her curse removed (just 90!). No one should have to live with such a violent and ostracizing restraint on personal agency if they can avoid it.

2. Purchasing, or if the demon lord is feeling generous, simply acquiring a dozen assorted, non-experimental flowers from... the demon lord that's selling them. I forget his name.

3. Getting a well deserved rest at an upper-class kip in the Lady's Ward, or at least trying to.

4. The following day, visiting the Mortuary and subsequently one of the prime worlds they use as a graveyard for Sigil to pay respects.

5. Meeting with his case agent and her superior officer, both to fill in the blanks about what the hell just happened and how to proceed going forward.

6. Actually joining the Acquisitor's Guild (his application being more a formality than anything), after what's sure to be a strange discussion with Duncan and an awkward discussion with other members of the party.

7. When enough money from the dreamspheres rolls in, acquiring a Rod of the Pact Keeper +2 (16k gold). Everyone watch the fuck out, he's got another spell slot!

In general: Trying to cope with fame and recognition he never sought out or desired in the first place.

Also in general: Killing people.

Scene to follow after proofreading; I've created a monstrosity. EDIT: oh god it's two and a half pages on google drive

2ND EDIT: Here it is, elucidating on point 5: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ZN1802_dKrOEZ5WFl1OWdGenM

Edited by Flapjack

Just to get this public, although I've already told everyone.

1. Invest 5k gold into the Shankers, earmarked for training/bribes for corporate espionage for all the new businesses that will be growing in the Gutter. Growing the Shankers into a formidable spy/assassin network will be essential for continuing to grow the party's/Stacks' influence in Sigil.

2. Invest 12k gold into founding the Magical Research Institute. 

The MRI will be dedicated to 2 goals.
A: Recruit and train budding wizards and other magical practitioners to instruct them on magical fundamentals, the levels of caution, and ethics in magic.
B: Recruit the top magical talent from around the multiverse to establish a Magical Scientific Method, and push the boundaries of the knowledge/capabilities of Wizardry.

Some men just want to see the worlds learn.

@MadCast: VoShay

"Little lady, you've been runnin' real good.  Real good at runnin'.  I reckon I've seen your backside more than your front, but that's nothing new for you, in'it?"

"You owe me a debt, an' I am gonna collect.  Bet your eternal soul, I will collect."

30f1a980a157b46100302af36ead6003_origina

Accompany:

Find the right way down through the maze, to the food, then find the exit.  Push the exit button.  If the food tastes awful, don't eat it, go back and try another way.

They want the same thing that you do, really, they want a path, just like you.  You are in a maze in a maze, but which one counts?  Your maze, their maze, my maze.  Or are the mazes all the same, defined by the limits of their paths?

Existence is simple: find the food, push the button, walk the path.

But sometimes it gets much harder.  Sometimes the food makes you sick, or you can hear nearby feet racing you, urging you on.  Sometimes the button only gets you landed right back in the beginning of the maze again, and the food won't satisfy.

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.

Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from it's path, find the cell bars, cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

16c-tsubaki-yayoi.jpg8JVQ7oP.png

Do you see what I see?

So I'd like to add a little to Breeze's theft of HH2 upgrade.

First off, the guys he had steal the thing are trainees of the AG and they weren't the easiest to convince to make the jump to stealing the thing. I mean they work for the AG and for Breeze and this move was a bit of a conflict of interest. That said, he has very loyal and well paid soldiers and Breeze isn't the type to take no for an answer. Anywho, His goal for stealing it was set the moment he found out what it did for Helpful Henry. He'd put together that with the HH2 upgrade that you could find just about anyone you are looking for, but on a long CD and the amount of information could be somewhat... vague. That wouldn't do. What if they could engineer HH2 to help people find each other? Think of a more advanced version of Tinder.

What this device would do is let people find each other based on criteria about themselves and pair them with one (or several others should the choose), and a specific public meeting space. This space would be provided with a device to let the place know there are people heading to them as well and well trained guards to make sure that nothing fishy goes down. Profit for the local bars, eateries, and brothels as this would easily drive business. Profit for Breeze and Markuu because they'd provide the protection as well as the devices. And of course Breeze wants to use this for himself to find Rekon.

Let it also be known that Breeze does not intend to keep the HH2 upgrade. Once his science team can create a duplicate copy they plan to return it to the person it was meant for, and he has agents working on finding that out now. 

<Scene>

<Location: The Thirsty Devil, a hope-I-don't-go-blind watering hole in The Hive>

<Timeline: Roughly 1 week prior to the Funcoland Romp>

A horse is hitched to an ornamental pole.  Under normal circumstances an unattended horse in The Hive would have the lifespan of an icicle on Mercury.  However, the awful calculus of the desperate comes with a healthy sense of self-preservation.  The jet black mane, red eyes, oozing hooves, and stench of death tripped something primal in the brains of the humanoid passersby, sparking hereditary memories of a rustle in the brush and a violent end.

Inside the grub-eaten walls, the same reaction passed through the patrons, without the luxury of an unobstructed escape route.  Drinks and utensils were frozen in transit from table to mouth.  A tumbleweed of razorvine, sensitive to narrative causality, unhitched itself from outside the dive and scrabbled across the wooden porch.  Unwilling eyes beheld a gaunt, skeletal man.  A blasted leather duster hung over the threadbare clothing of what might have passed for a gentleman on some backwater prime.  His boots, spurred and thick, made a disturbing lack of sound as he moved from the entrance to the bar, with no small exodus taking place as he marched through the entrance.

"Coffee.  Black."  His voice carried a drawl that tickled the spine in unsavory ways.

Umberxis the Vile, retired general of hell and now bartender, was more or less content with his lot in life.  He had ravened across the planes, murdered angels and mortals and demons alike, and earned enough accommodations for unholy valor that he was afforded the luxury of retirement.  Now, he had a suitably dilapidated drinking establishment in The Hive, a career choice that guaranteed him all the news and gossip he needed, with a bonus of sending adventurers to untimely deaths with a few rumored words.  He knew he had seen worse, much worse, than a walking corpse with a strange sense of style.  

"This here is a bar, wherein we serve al-co-hol,"  the devil's words dripped with an amusing cocktail of scorn and sarcasm, "Al-co-hol." Umberxis gave the stranger a mirthless grin, a tactic that had reduced more than one crusading paladin to quaking fear.

Red, burning eyes locked with the devil's black orbs.  The few patrons who had kept their seats reexamined their decision making process, and the quick undulations of the swinging doors cut a long moment of silence.

"Whiskey."

Umberxis delayed his hand for a moment.  He drew out the cleaning of a filthy glass, or at least the even distribution of oily filth.  Never taking his eyes off the stranger's, he set the glass on the bar, and poured a measure of golden brown spirits in it.  

"Ten coppers, berk."

Continuing the staring match, the stranger grabbed a pouch from his belt and upended it on the table.  Several pieces of immaculate jewlery, a handful of precious gems, and unmarked discs of pure platinum tumbled on the varnished wood.  

"More whiskey.  And information."

Umberxis considered the small fortune before him.  He did not need it.  His handy pocket dimension vault bulged with the swag of 10,000 years of campaigns.  Still, Sigil's potent aura of narrative importance compelled even mighty devils to play in the grand game.  He swept up the payment with a meaty hand, leaning the other on the pitted wood.  Umberxis brought his face level with the ghastly revenant. 

"Who ya looking for?"

</Scene>

Gents,

So I'm facing a work schedule change.  Wednesdays I'm going to be working in the early AM, which puts a strain on our gametime.  The ol' 4 hour sleep doesn't go as far as it used to for me.  However, this does give us some options. Saturday afternoons, Sunday afternoons/early evenings, and Monday evenings would be open for me.  If this doesn't work for anyone else, we will stay with Tuesdays, as Wednesdays aren't really a back breaking day at the butcher block, and I can stop being a priss.  If we could do Monday evening this week, it would be a great boon for me.  I imagine after I've transitioned my daily routine a bit one short night of sleep won't affect much.

I think I can commit to sundays after West Coast Dinner time (about our typical start time) and Mondays work as well. Although Monday would be a lot better for me so as to prevent getting double booked. For example, I have a birthday dinner to attend tomorrow.

Edited by MadCast: VoShay

I think we are a cohesive enough group that we can just agree on whether the next session will be on Sunday or Monday at the end of each session, dependent on everyone's availability.  

I do really appreciate this guys.  Having to leave one campaign is wrenching enough, two would be abominable.

That said, is everyone good for Monday the 20th THIS week?