Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: simbaca

Is anyone a network admin?

I am trying to figure out a redo of my network at my work(i own the place and we need to fix some issues). I have some questions on windows server software and versions and what I should use/avoid.

Specifically

When I started we only had a few employees so running our invoice software off of winxp(it was a while ago dont mock me!) wasnt a problem, but now Im up to 10 current users sharing time, so I need to purchase a server and relevant software(it does have to be windows based). I was looking for sound advice.

Shane

Awards

Currently at my company we use Oracle for all of our needs. From email, Invoice, Invitory, meetings, chat, and even more. So sense we use Oracle based, we use NetSuite for our invoices. I love it but it can be a bit of a job to setup at first. Other programs that i have heard that are great but I have yet to use them myself are: Freshbooks - which is a cloud based software rated #1 but big raters like Forbs. and Xero - Has a lot of App add-ons, has 6 different pricing packages to fit needs. But if your also doing payroll with this software you might out grow it due to the max employers payroll is 100 currently.

Not sure how helpful this is to you but i hope you come up with a solution. :)

Awards

Mostly I am just trying to figure out which version of windows server to buy as well as a good server setup recommendation for a small business. Is just  a stock generic one from dell going to be fine? server 2008 seems ok for me, i really dont like the idea of paying per user which is what the new server looks like

Awards

Well sounds like to me that win server 2016 is by far overkill for you 2008 is great but i really like  2012 R2. But its all about what you require from it. You could look into Windows Server Essentials. Essentials  is a flexible, affordable, and easy-to-use server solution designed and priced for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is an ideal first server, and it can also be used as the primary server in a multi-server environment for small businesses.

Here is a link for Essentials for 2012 that has guides and explains it a bit more if you would like to check it out. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200119(v=ws.11).aspx

Awards

18 minutes ago, MadCast: simbaca said:

a stock generic one from dell going to be fine?

Actually I would recommend this. Dell offers many servers from just starting out to large corporate.  They also offer man small-business server that you come customize when order that will come pre-loaded with any windows server you want including 2008, 2012 R2, Essentials, even 2016. Also, I'm sure that they have some kind of customer support if things are not working correctly. Which is always a plus.

Edited by Silencer

Awards