MadCast: rife170

League of Learning Feedback

I already told Epic and Candy this, but I was pleasantly surprised no one was salty after the games. I've been in a lot of community inhouses that result in hurt feelings and as a result, aren't as receptive to feedback. You guys ran it well and everyone involved seemed genuinely invested in learning.

I did notice feedback seemed to be primarily be focused on laning. Personally, I think it'd be great if there was more analysis / feedback centered around group fighting - i.e. positioning, targets, etc and late game such as shot calling, objectives, etc. We talked about it a little bit, but it wasn't feedback centered. It seemed more... conversational - like oh this happened! etc. Team fights happen really fast, so having say the spectators write down what they see and giving constructive feedback based on group fights would be really valuable. Idk if everyone that shows up usually plays in the games, but if you have some higher elo players (say you have 2 plats and everyone else is gold), the plats can spectate. Much like when you have a coach to watch your gameplay - it'd be like having a coach for each team.

I had a great time this Thursday. What I really enjoy about these sessions, is that everyone stays level-headed, for the most part. We all keep each other cool, and apply the proper reassurance that most randoms don't. I, for one, got stuck playing against Kanye Euwest in the top line a while back, and I fed my ass off. My team, however, didn't discourage me, although I was slowly beginning to discourage myself. Instead, they were patient with me, and after regaining my composure, I actually came back with a quadra kill that boosted morale, eventually leading to a win. 

I definitely look forward to more of these events, however, I would like to see more in-depth reviews as the event becomes more refined. We tend to cover basic laning and teamfighting notes, however, it would be awesome if there were more theory-crafting; if there were more "what-if's" on your opponent's builds & such.

Awards

20 hours ago, Ahryse said:

Team fights happen really fast, so having say the spectators write down what they see and giving constructive feedback based on group fights would be really valuable. Idk if everyone that shows up usually plays in the games, but if you have some higher elo players (say you have 2 plats and everyone else is gold), the plats can spectate. Much like when you have a coach to watch your gameplay - it'd be like having a coach for each team.

We'll definitely take this and run with it, you may see it next week at LoL.

29 minutes ago, Deaf Monkey said:

My team, however, didn't discourage me, although I was slowly beginning to discourage myself. Instead, they were patient with me, and after regaining my composure,

We're always striving for that kind of attitude for this event, and it's good to see it flourish.

30 minutes ago, Deaf Monkey said:

I definitely look forward to more of these events, however, I would like to see more in-depth reviews as the event becomes more refined. We tend to cover basic laning and teamfighting notes, however, it would be awesome if there were more theory-crafting; if there were more "what-if's" on your opponent's builds & such.

This shares some parallels with Ahryse's feedback, and it's likely you'll see it take more shape soon.

Thanks for the feedback folks, keep it up.

I think one thing about league of learning is that I and possibly others are not learning as much as the could to be a better player. The way it goes in at least the silver and lower group is a 5v5 in house with people saying you did good here bad here, but when it comes to learning I don't think you can learn a lot from people around your skill level. We are on silver below for a reason whether we admit to it or not, and most likely the things our peers tell us in the event could most likely be wrong but could also be right. So I have an idea that I would love to try. We take a team from the gold up group and put them against a silver below group. And yes the silver below group will most likely get stomped but we come to the event to learn how to get better not stay the same. So then we put the adc/supp in a channel jg in a channel etc. My reasoning here is that in the lower group lane phase is where the games are lost almost every time, and if not there team select. Now yes this might not be helping the gold up group but its an idea I think would be cool to do. Because one game I was put in the gold up group and laned against Epic. I was probably the reason we lost but that was the most I learned at any event by getting beaten badly.

Awards

Just now, MadCast: Brootos said:

I think one thing about league of learning is that I and possibly others are not learning as much as the could to be a better player. The way it goes in at least the silver and lower group is a 5v5 in house with people saying you did good here bad here, but when it comes to learning I don't think you can learn a lot from people around your skill level. We are on silver below for a reason whether we admit to it or not, and most likely the things our peers tell us in the event could most likely be wrong but could also be right. So I have an idea that I would love to try. We take a team from the gold up group and put them against a silver below group. And yes the silver below group will most likely get stomped but we come to the event to learn how to get better not stay the same. So then we put the adc/supp in a channel jg in a channel etc. My reasoning here is that in the lower group lane phase is where the games are lost almost every time, and if not there team select. Now yes this might not be helping the gold up group but its an idea I think would be cool to do. Because one game I was put in the gold up group and laned against Epic. I was probably the reason we lost but that was the most I learned at any event by getting beaten badly.

I get what your saying here Brootos , and it's something we can keep in mind for the next event. 

Keep in mind that we also want players to be enjoying their time over the course of the event, and others may not be so inclined to take on more of a challenge to get more for the event. 

Keep in mind that we also want players to be enjoying their time over the course of the event, and others may not be so inclined to take on more of a challenge to get more for the event. 

I completely understand that I just wanted to out the idea out there to think about.

Awards

1 hour ago, MadCast: Brootos said:

I feel as if you would benefit the most from having a few gold and above spectators. That might solve your problem without disheartening players through a tough inhouse.

Alternatively, you could have say a gold or above captain / shotcaller on each team. You'd learn when to do / not do something and also be able to ask why they made certain calls, did this and not that, etc. 

Edited by Ahryse

Best advice I can give is its easier to evaluate someone if they are in the same lane with you with that in mind if a person is really wanting to learn lol more and can either play adc or sup the one coaching would be best put as the second in bot lane.  If that is not an option jungler would be next best as you are roaming you are seeing how they react more while you can not always cover lanes with view you are not in and focus on your champ too.  

As for the 1v1 or 2v2 matches while it would make it a bit easier to evaluate same as in a 5v5 and thus would have to learn differently or extra instead of just focusing on what they are doing wrong for the match they are in versus the match they are in and the normal sr match.  

Edited by Star

On 5/7/2017 at 2:40 PM, Ahryse said:

I feel as if you would benefit the most from having a few gold and above spectators. That might solve your problem without disheartening players through a tough inhouse.

Alternatively, you could have say a gold or above captain / shotcaller on each team. You'd learn when to do / not do something and also be able to ask why they made certain calls, did this and not that, etc. 

I second this idea. I personally would not mind spectating the silver and below games. My skill level varies when I'm int he moment, but looking in, I have TONS of game knowledge that would definitely help.

Awards

On 5/7/2017 at 1:40 PM, Ahryse said:

I agree with this as well but I also feel like it would be a great idea to have some people do 1v1's in order to focus on specific areas of laning phase because I feel like that as the area where time can be spent most effectively in terms of improving enjoyment of the game and improving overall all skill for most of the silver and below.

1 hour ago, Danyo11G said:

I agree with this as well but I also feel like it would be a great idea to have some people do 1v1's in order to focus on specific areas of laning phase because I feel like that as the area where time can be spent most effectively in terms of improving enjoyment of the game and improving overall all skill for most of the silver and below.

You'll see something coming out for 1v1's in the next week or so, lead by a friendly relative we all know and love. 

Patience friends!

Perhaps we could have the spectators take clips of certain sections of the game in which they thought there could be a significant amount of improvement and then go through that clip with the participants and give the feedback on what they should have done. Similar to what the current system is but just being able to have the clip so they can see exactly what the spectator is talking about to understand it better. I think this would help me for one since I'm much more of a visual person and having the visual aid would be very helpful. 

p.s. I'm willing to volunteer my time in order to make this happen

Quick note for future matchmaking: Perhaps have a mix-and-match ranking on both teams, where people can play against someone else who mains their role. Example: (Team 1) Plat Top vs (Team 2) Silver Top --- (Team 1) Bronze Mid vs (Team 2) Gold Mid

So both teams have a fairly even MMR, and post game gives each laner a chance to learn from higher level mains in their role (without a full team shitstomp)

Awards

10 hours ago, MadCast: Deaf Monkey said:

Quick note for future matchmaking: Perhaps have a mix-and-match ranking on both teams, where people can play against someone else who mains their role. Example: (Team 1) Plat Top vs (Team 2) Silver Top --- (Team 1) Bronze Mid vs (Team 2) Gold Mid

So both teams have a fairly even MMR, and post game gives each laner a chance to learn from higher level mains in their role (without a full team shitstomp)

Hey monkey personally i disliked last nights setup. We have had a few instances of people saying they wanted to play against higher ranks but im not sure last night was worth it. I just feel the game was too one sided to be conducive to learning. Hopefully we can learn from this and thank you for your feedback.

1 hour ago, MadCast: candymaniam said:

Hey monkey personally i disliked last nights setup. We have had a few instances of people saying they wanted to play against higher ranks but im not sure last night was worth it. I just feel the game was too one sided to be conducive to learning. Hopefully we can learn from this and thank you for your feedback.

I agree. I've been playing with the Gold+ for the last ~2 months, and the skill difference was VERY noticeable once I was with the lower ranked guys. I will continue to push the idea of mixing the higher ranked players in with the lower ranked players. Here is a sample setup:

Team 1:   Top - Mid Jungler ADC - Support

Team 2:   Top Mid - Jungler ADC Support

(Each role is color coordinated by rank. Cyan for Plat, white for silver, brown for bronze, and yellow for Gold)

The above example shows a fairly even team. There would be enough experience spread across both teams to prevent a one-sided match. This setup would also allow for a much more in-depth post-game discussion.

The higher ranked players could educate their low-ranking opponents on how they did with their main roles throughout each stage of the game. Fellow teammates could also offer criticism from a different perspective-- A lot happens in the fog of war, and only your teammates know ALL of your movements. Realistically, Silvers & Bronzes don't typically have enough macro/micro knowledge to offer accurate & beneficial critiques of their teammates' gameplay.

Edited by MadCast: Deaf Monkey

Awards

I have played with the higher ranked players in normal a lot and never had issues through out the game when it comes to skill. When I was in the bronze group and we played I realized that the problems started in lane phase. So I have an idea I want to do. We place each player in a channel with there lane opponent for example 

top - top

jg - jg

mid-mid

adc - adc

supp - supp

While yes this can take away the competitive aspect of the games, the other night were huge blowouts starting from lane. Because yes you can tell them what they did wrong and what to do better but, in my opinion it is a lot better to show them. Now I would propose the idea of going back and watching replays to see where they went wrong, but that would take far to much time to do. This will also help when it comes to communicating with pings, because we all know how to talk to each other but a problem even I am guilty of is not pinging a lot when I should be.

Awards

I just wanted to convey my appreciation of those who both facilitate and participate in this event every week.

It has been an invaluable resource to accelerate my learning curve, and I have enjoyed the opportunity to get to know the League players here better.

I sincerely hope we can continue this tradition, and look forward to more of the same!

Thank you everyone!

I would love to join for league of learning, i've become lazy and really bad. Maybe a Sunday session in the afternoon for us UKees?

85ea503f-6a1f-4b13-90be-60a3fd0201e9.JPG

7 hours ago, MadCast: UltronFtw said:

I just wanted to convey my appreciation of those who both facilitate and participate in this event every week.

It has been an invaluable resource to accelerate my learning curve, and I have enjoyed the opportunity to get to know the League players here better.

I sincerely hope we can continue this tradition, and look forward to more of the same!

Thank you everyone!

It helps when you keep a cool head, and come with the mindset to learn; and that's always what you seem to bring. We appreciate you, and all the members that we run this for. 

1 hour ago, Nimli said:

I would love to join for league of learning, i've become lazy and really bad. Maybe a Sunday session in the afternoon for us UKees?

There is an option to host an an off hour event so as to cater to folks outside our peak NA time zones. The more folks in your situation there are, the sooner these events will come to life. SoonTM. 

1 hour ago, MadCast: Epic said:

It helps when you keep a cool head, and come with the mindset to learn; and that's always what you seem to bring. We appreciate you, and all the members that we run this for. 

There is an option to host an an off hour event so as to cater to folks outside our peak NA time zones. The more folks in your situation there are, the sooner these events will come to life. SoonTM. 

sounds awesome !!

9 hours ago, Nimli said:

toss me a pm and ill start tallying up interest for an off hours event

On 7/29/2017 at 5:12 AM, MadCast: Baal said:

toss me a pm and ill start tallying up interest for an off hours event

alright i'm not sure why i cant message you or anyone for some reason it doesnt give me a box to write a message on here.

e0a87b3f1f02f70d3a1d135de86944e2--minion-s-minions-minions.jpg

Disclaimer: This might have been addressed already since I haven't been able to be as active due to work, so if this is the case, that's great!

The day I got onto teamspeak and hopped into different channels,  the team Epic was on was very lively with him talking to people and leading people around the map. The other channel was very quiet for most of the part in comparison to Epic's channel.

Shotcalling/Leading: One thing Epic does very well when he plays with people is how he leads the team around the map and explains where they should be moving. He is very vocal so people so people respond to his movements. This showed how communication is very important.

If we have a few people who are good at leading others on different teams, I think lower elos will learn a lot that way as well.

Candy: Candy is VERY good at letting people know that he is coming into their lane and saying if he is leaving the fight, or entering the fight. This increases synergy and shows how if you alert others on your movements, they can play accordingly.

Another thing, there was this video of anklespankin who had had a challenger level adc player who supported him and pretty much guided him through his decision making. While Ankle didn't have to make as many decisions for himself, he could practice on his own positioning and learned how much he could improve his own play by playing around his support. It was a great video! 

I've hit plat multiple times as an ADC in the past as well as in the mid and support position, but I learned a lot just by listening to "Jake" explaining his decision making process and such. It's a great video to watch!