Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Mike

Law School

Hey guys,

I heard from the one previously known as UnusedCaveman that we have several lawyers in our midst. I am an undergrad at a pretty solid school, and I am majoring in economics and minoring in political science (on the pre-law track because there is no pre-law major here). I am strongly considering law school as a post-graduation option. I was just wondering what you guys' general thoughts were about law school, and what you think of the career now (if you are done with law school of course).

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mike

46 minutes ago, MadCast: LTTelamon said:

Are you really passionate about the law? What specific career path?

I'm very passionate about law in itself, and as for what specific path, either politics or contract law/tort. I want no part in criminal cases.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:07 PM, MadCast: Mike said:

I'm very passionate about law in itself, and as for what specific path, either politics or contract law/tort. I want no part in criminal cases.

Tort law is so boring :P I took a class in college about Law. It was pretty cool. 

I am Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, but these days I am the General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer where I work so I do a bit of everything.

8 hours ago, MadCast: Scooba said:

Off hand.... MadCast has 6+ graduating law students.  

The Black Couches

Wow, that's awesome, I guess no one can ever sue us and expect to get away with it without a fight! I'm hoping to +1 that number in the future.

1 hour ago, MadCast Tort said:

I am Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, but these days I am the General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer where I work so I do a bit of everything.

Wow, that's pretty cool, and from our quick conversation last night, you work in the university system, right? Would that mean you deal with internal legal questions regarding the university and faculty, students, etc.?

Yes.  That is exactly what I do.  I also oversee HR and our Compliance division (audit, governance, and compliance).

I used to write governance policies for MadCast, but now I write policies that affect 100K+ people.  I can't tell you how beneficial the years I spent here adminning in earnest were to my career.  

10 hours ago, MadCast Tort said:

Good to see you're still doing well :)

Awards

On 4/7/2017 at 10:45 PM, MadCast: Khaos said:

I am a practicing attorney and I do contract/tort litigation and business transactions.  Why are you considering law school?  What draws you to the profession?

Hey there, sorry I was in Boston all weekend, had a 4 game series against Brandeis that got all moved around because of rain, so I'm catching back up with everything today! :)

I'm drawn to the profession because I've been around athletics all of my life and am seeking something to satisfy my competitive edge while also learning and applying concepts that I am most interested in academically. Economics and Political Science are my passion right now, especially constitutional law, I just find present-day interpretations of a document over 200 years old incredibly interesting.

It's a possibility that I may be drawn to law school to enter into the world of politics rather than becoming a practicing attorney, I honestly haven't thought that far into the future (I'm still a freshman). I'm hoping that a few classes in my later years of undergrad help me decide that!

On 4/7/2017 at 9:28 AM, MadCast Tort said:

Yes.  That is exactly what I do.  I also oversee HR and our Compliance division (audit, governance, and compliance).

I used to write governance policies for MadCast, but now I write policies that affect 100K+ people.  I can't tell you how beneficial the years I spent here adminning in earnest were to my career.  

That's quite a jump! I figured the admining could only help, especially when you have to be extremely precise when setting up something that closely resembles a small company to help manage the gaming for a couple hundred people. It's actually quite incredible what communities like ours are capable of doing, and how long they are able to be around for. It's longer than a lot of small businesses!

On 4/10/2017 at 8:49 AM, MadCast: Mike said:

Hey there, sorry I was in Boston all weekend, had a 4 game series against Brandeis that got all moved around because of rain, so I'm catching back up with everything today! :)

I'm drawn to the profession because I've been around athletics all of my life and am seeking something to satisfy my competitive edge while also learning and applying concepts that I am most interested in academically. Economics and Political Science are my passion right now, especially constitutional law, I just find present-day interpretations of a document over 200 years old incredibly interesting.

It's a possibility that I may be drawn to law school to enter into the world of politics rather than becoming a practicing attorney, I honestly haven't thought that far into the future (I'm still a freshman). I'm hoping that a few classes in my later years of undergrad help me decide that!

That's quite a jump! I figured the admining could only help, especially when you have to be extremely precise when setting up something that closely resembles a small company to help manage the gaming for a couple hundred people. It's actually quite incredible what communities like ours are capable of doing, and how long they are able to be around for. It's longer than a lot of small businesses!

Also motivating volunteers for a shared vision (MadCast) is much harder than motivating people that get paid. :)

Are you really drawn to the profession, or to what you think the profession is? Sorry if that comes off as snide. In my opinion, especially with the experiences that many of us have/had, NO question should be off the table when considering whether you want to embark on the law school/massive student loan journey.

There are tangible benefits to a law school education and I will always be grateful for having met/debated with/become friends with a large number of my classmates, particularly those who are also members here. If only I could have done so without having incurred a crippling debt that I will likely never be able to repay.

Also consider that in our current political/social climate, things like intellectual rigor, deep-dives, using precise terms precisely and intellectual pursuits in general are highly disfavored and scorned in favor of gut feelings and tribalism, so there's that. If you go down this road, prepare yourself for massive disappointment (and a lot of emails from friends who "just have a quick question"). Prepare yourself for the pain of knowing "the law" and also knowing that the most important thing in many disputes is who knows who.

And in case you are wondering, yes I did reasonably well in law school (even with taking classes that actually put my GPA at risk***), passed the bar, and did actually practice before moving on to other pursuits so I'm not just a disgruntled also-ran, even though this post probably makes me sound like one.

***if that note makes no sense, ask Tort or LTT or others about people who only take seminar classes after they achieve "anointed" status 1L year. It happens.  

Edited by MadCast: Malacca

I believe that I am drawn to the arena of politics. To be honest, I'm not sure that practicing would be very fulfilling to me. As for the financial side of it, I can tell it will be a stretch, but I really believe that I can swing it as long as I don't come out making complete dirt.

I'm also already aware of the "who knows who" situation in the world. It's impossible to expect complete fair play, even in disputes involving the law.

As for the GPA comment, I do know what you are talking about. I go to a school that has students who take only seminars and special topics without really risking much.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:31 AM, MadCast: Mike said:

I believe that I am drawn to the arena of politics. To be honest, I'm not sure that practicing would be very fulfilling to me. As for the financial side of it, I can tell it will be a stretch, but I really believe that I can swing it as long as I don't come out making complete dirt.

I'm also already aware of the "who knows who" situation in the world. It's impossible to expect complete fair play, even in disputes involving the law.

As for the GPA comment, I do know what you are talking about. I go to a school that has students who take only seminars and special topics without really risking much.

Don't go to law school.

You are welcome.