MadCast: Stan

Sunday Afternoon D&D

74 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm going to be putting together a Sunday afternoon D&D group.  I will GM this game.  I'm looking for people that want to play in the 5th Edition system.  We will play every Sunday afternoon at 5 EST until 8 (ish) EST.  This game is going to start on April the 23rd.

A few quick things to note:

• While I don't mind if people miss every now and then, constant absenteeism will lead to your spot being taken by somebody else
  • We will be playing in the Forgotten Realms (my personal favorite)
  • We will be starting at level 3
  • I believe in the rule of cool
  • We will be using Roll20.net for our maps, and TS for voice coms
  • We will be using anything that is WotC official for character creation.

If you can handle all of that then you should sign up below.  I'll be taking 4 players.  You don't have to reveal any character ideas, just say if you want in and if you have any experience with D&D, 5th Edition, or none at all.

Edited by MadCast: Stan
MadCast: Sleepcoma likes this

I should have that time free! I'm in! 

Reporting for duty... er... fun!  

Forewarning: Starting in July I may be starting shift work, with five 12hr days on / five days off rotation.  I'll give you a heads up if that happens, and what impact it will have if that comes to pass.  I have another possible job also lined up that may be a normal work week.  When I know, you'll know =)

I would be interested in joining. I do have some experience with 5th Edition and I do have core books as well.

Awards

I mainly play Warhammer never touched D&D.

with the game I linked we could play with 3D models and tables.

by far the best table top sim. I have seen thus far.

I like roll20.net because of the macros and player resources like character sheets.  The tabletop simulator you linked to looks awesome though.  I'd love to find out what sort of DM and player resources they have available for D&D.

Posted (edited)

I'd love to join this. I'm familiar with Roll20 as I use it with a Pathfinder group (we're about to convert to 5e). I ran a 5e game for a short time, but honestly need more experience as a player first. I've read the 5e Player's Handbook through multiple times.

I also have Tabletop Simulator, if we were to try it.

Edited by Newt

7 hours ago, MT519 said:

better if everyone just picked this up

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/

4 hours ago, MT519 said:

I mainly play Warhammer never touched D&D.

with the game I linked we could play with 3D models and tables.

by far the best table top sim. I have seen thus far.

The thing is, Roll20.net is free.  It includes character sheets, let me add music, lets me add lighting and shade areas I don't want you to see.  Also, I'm very familiar with Roll20.  If I'm going to run a game smoothly, it's on there.

I would love to join in on this! I don't have too much experience but i am quick to pick things  up!

Posted (edited)

yeah just looks to flat for me. I would love to pick more copies of the Sim. ill take some screen shots of the game table and cards

all it is u download the D&D from the workshop and boom, but screenshots inc.

Well can't put screenshots on here

Edited by MT519

but all in all I'm down to learn and play

Ok, I have decided that the 4 to play are going to be @MadCast: Uncle Dad, @MadCast: Angelix, @MadCast: MT519, and @Newt. We will do character creation on the 23rd at 5 EST. Have a rough idea of what you want to play, and I will give you all the link for Roll20 that day.

56 minutes ago, MadCast: Stan said:

Ok, I have decided that the 4 to play are going to be @MadCast: Uncle Dad, @MadCast: Angelix, @MadCast: MT519, and @Newt. We will do character creation on the 23rd at 5 EST. Have a rough idea of what you want to play, and I will give you all the link for Roll20 that day.

I am exited!

MadCast: Angelix likes this

Awesome! I can't wait to start.

Posted (edited)

Hi Stan,

I've been working on some character ideas, and would like to know if there's a specific environment type that you have in mind.  

For example, are we going to be on or around the ocean, desert, arctic, sky, under dark, all of the above?  Obviously this can change, but if it's mainly a water campaign, for example, then the background I write might include something that brought me to the ocean, and I would be more inclined to include something like the sailor background.

Can't wait for this to start!  At this point in time I'm thinking of playing a spellcaster that is primarily focused on battlefield control and sustained damage.

For the rest of the players;

If anyone is willing to share what sort of characters they are considering playing, I'd love to hear about it.  I'm also more than willing to explain the nuances of 5e D&D to anyone who might be new to the latest edition, or to D&D in general. I've now had a chance to play a fairly wide range of 5e classes in various games, and can provide some insight into the various roles that exist in the current edition.  

Cheers!

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

@MadCast: Stan,

I was wondering whether Wizard's of the Coast Unearthed Arcana is considered official? There are a few things I've seen in UA that I think would be interested in, but I want to make sure that they are permitted before even considering them in-depth. 

@MadCast: Angelix,

I would love to share some character ideas! I actually have three right now that are a bit different from one another, just to make sure that I have something to play that can work with whatever kind of campaign we run or party we choose to be. Here are some short descriptions I wrote for the character ideas I've had so far:

Gnomish Wizard: Sollumis Kalaksta Claymaker

A rock gnome, Sol’s family has been in the business of making extravagant clay pots, dishes, and numerous other relatively useless yet pretty objects. Sollumis, despite his skill in the art, and against his parents’ wishes(they have the typical level gnomish of obsession, but for pottery) wants to learn magic. They can’t afford not to have him making pottery for them, as the sales from his work makes up the majority of their income. 

Sollumis visits the libraries in his free time, and talks to some of the more open, amateur arcanists in town. Thinking about, for the first time, the various delivery golems that run/fly around town, he begins looking for information on golemancy, and forms a plan to create a pottery-making golem to work for his parents, so that he can learn more about magic. 

Human Eldritch Knight: Edwin Trild and Jennifer Holden

Edwin and Jennifer were your standard star-crossed lovers from two opposing human noble families. Tensions between the families’ opposing struggles for power were nearing a climax when the two decided to elope into the night. They had discreetly bought a mediocre covered carriage with a couple of horses, taking few possessions with them other than the clothes on their backs and gold enough to forge a new life in a different kingdom.

However, just as the city behind them fell out of view behind the trees of the surrounding forest, their carriage went up in a fiery explosion. Edwin, driving the cart, was blasted off the carriage and hit his head upon landing. He survived, but Jennifer was not so fortunate; she was burned completely in the blast. Edwin would have returned to the city for assistance at that point, but the thought of the war that knowledge of Jennifer’s death might bring about between their families turned him back to the path. 

Days later, still wounded but unable to turn back, Edwin was weary and pushing himself past his limits. He thought he heard Jennifer’s voice calling him. He passed out, and when he woke up, Jennifer was indeed there, caring for his wounds the best that her mostly incorporeal form would allow her.

Human(ish) Warlock: Enk

One day, Enk was. Enk is not concerned with why he was. Enk only knows what he needs to do.

Those who observe Enk for more than a few moments always notice something odd about him. They aren’t quite able to put their finger on it, but some describe him as “what a human might look like if it was made using a picture drawn by a five year old as a blueprint.” His limbs are perfect cylinders; his head is perfectly spherical; Enk has the slightest smile that will never grow to full potential, but never go away either.

6 hours ago, MadCast: Angelix said:

would like to know if there's a specific environment type that you have in mind

All of the above.

2 hours ago, Newt said:

I was wondering whether Wizard's of the Coast Unearthed Arcana is considered official? There are a few things I've seen in UA that I think would be interested in, but I want to make sure that they are permitted before even considering them in-depth. 

You can use UA

Posted (edited)

If any of you need access to most of the WotC material, it can be found HERE.  This is my personal DropBox, so only copy files.  I haven't updated this in a while, so some things may have changed a bit.  Check the Erratas that should exist in that file.  You should only need the Player Handbook, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, or Dungeon Master's Guide (in some rare cases).  Unearthed Arcana, Volo's Guide to Monsters, or anything else may need to be referenced to me.

The link for the game on Roll20 is HERE.  You can find a character sheet for each of you under the "Journal" tab at the top right of the page.  I haven't set private permissions so remember this for parts of your backstory that you want secret.

Edited by MadCast: Stan

Are you able to give us character sheets to start fleshing out our characters?  I think I have most of mine figured out now.  

I'm still finishing up her backstory, but I'm starting to get hyped.  This will be a lot of fun =)

9 hours ago, MadCast: Angelix said:

Are you able to give us character sheets to start fleshing out our characters?  I think I have most of mine figured out now.  

I'm still finishing up her backstory, but I'm starting to get hyped.  This will be a lot of fun =)

Read the second paragraph in my last reply.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, MadCast: Stan said:

Read the second paragraph in my last reply.

Clicking on journal doesn't open anything at all for me. The tab is completely empty when I select it. There may be a permissions issue.  I'm familiar with where the character sheet normally appears =)

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

2 hours ago, MadCast: Angelix said:

Clicking on journal doesn't open anything at all for me. The tab is completely empty when I select it. There may be a permissions issue.  I'm familiar with where the character sheet normally appears =)

I'm afraid I don't see anything in the journal either. 

Should be fixed.  I set up Newt so that only he can see his.  I'll have to change permissions for the rest of you when you log on to Roll20.  Honor system that you guys don't mess with each other's pages.  Wait to roll your stats til Sunday.  Just get a general idea of what you want to play, and a story.  Other than that, it's smooth sailing.

@MadCast: Stan I am able to see the character sheets on the page now. I'll get to putting my bio and stuff in shortly!