MadCast: Munsa

Attention Talisman Lovers (Armello)

25 posts in this topic

So I picked up Armello, another digital board game, and it is freakin' amazing.

You play as a series of anthropomorphic animal heroes (who are all ridiculously well animated and crafted) competing for the throne of the land that is currently in the hands of a king driven mad by disease.  It's a deep game, but achieves the deepness by laying simple mechanics over each other.  

The reason I bring it up is that it has multiplayer. Better designed than Talisman (no one will fall behind enough to where they do not have a path to victory), beautiful to look at, and out long enough to run smoothly.  I scoffed at the review quote, but this shit really is a board game version of Game of Thrones with animals.

This would be a worthy successor to the good games of Talisman we've had, with less tedium and more pissing in each other's cheerios.  If we can get some nerds together, i'd love to sit down and play it. 

Sounds awesome.  I've been hoping for an online version of Arkham Horror.  This might be a good substitute.

Awards

It draws a lot from Arkham Horror.  The game is divided into Days, with each day consisting of a dawn and dusk turn.  During the dawn turn, the King enacts one of two drawn global policies, similar to the escalation deck from AH.  The twist?  The player with the highest prestige, a collectible score in the game, selects which policy to enact.  

Where it is better than AH and Talisman, at least for pickup play, is that games are fairly quick, there is robust rules customization, and while you can be setback by being screwed with or dying, you get right back into the action with minor penalties.  It's really tuned for fun and tactical competitive multiplayer.  It's on sale, and it's freakin' fantastic.

ALSO DIFFERENT HEROES GET BONUSES DEPENDING ON WHETHER THEY ARE NOCTURNAL OR DIURNAL ANIMALS.  IT'S SO GOOD.

I didn't know anyone else was interested in it. I'mma pick it up.

There are 4 mini missions that serve as narrative prologue and intros to all the mechanics.  Took me about 35-40 minutes to go through, and I was fully prepped to play after.  I'd love to get a crew together to put an hour or so in it tonight.

Well I'm down. I'mma play through the prologue now.

Posted (edited)

I'm sold.  Just have to see if I have some spare cash on hand.  Getting ready to move across the country so things are a bit tight at the moment.

Edit: Do you guys have the full bundle or just the base game. From what I read in the reviews the first expansion is balanced but the heroes in Bandits overshadow the previous heroes.  I like variety myself and am inclined to pick up the full bundle.

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

Awards

The bandit heroes are strong, no doubt, but the ones that on the surface seem powerful (The old otter and the badger) have low Wits scores which limit their handsize, giving them much less versatility unless they spend precious time completing quests that give +1 wits.  I don't think any hero is unplayable, especially when you add in the amulet/ring bonuses you can choose from.  

I picked up all the DLC, and I think this is one of the most balanced rosters of these manner of games.

I really like the Sylas the Otter, Mercurio the Rat, and Amber the Rabbit.

I'll definitely look into this when I get home.

I've been eyeing this game since release, I just never thought I'd have people to sink into it with.

Voshay, I think you would love this shit out of this game.

Elegant mechanics, narrative integration, and the ability to grief the hell out of people.

I'll give this a shot, you got me more than interested, Munsa.

The different victory types encourage interesting alternatives in playstyle that may not be immediately apparent. Perhaps the most frustrating variation is taking the lead in Prestige and then simply griefing other players to prevent them from getting into a position where they can kill the king.

Awards

I now have Armello.  Will likely be in TS looking for some games tonight =)

Awards

this game is just killer. excellent reccomendation. everyone buy it now

Sleiphner, Sanjo and I had a fun multiplayer game with a random guy filling the 4th spot, with me just being a douchebag on the Squirrel Twiss.  So much fun.  I played another multiplayer game after that on someone a little less cheesy (the rat warlock Sargon) and it also went swimmingly well, though I was lucky with the RNG for drops on that one.   Such a fun game, though it can be slow going if folks are still figuring it out.  

I recommend playing some solo games before jumping into multiplayer so that you aren't way behind the learning curve.  It also helps to do that because you don't want to play against other people without your key rings and amulets unlocked (which mainly happens by playing games).

Looking forward to playing the Munsa Pain Train =P

Awards

Twiss is one adorable bastard.  That mask.

I am incredibly serious about some 4 man MadCast Armello this afternoon.  I will be around at approx 2:30-3PM EST today (5/13) looking to sit down for a few games.  Adult beverages optional.

Count me in.

Posted (edited)

Had an insane game last night on Zosha in multiplayer.  I was being hit REALLY hard by RNG.  I had a bane spawn on top of my second quest with mountains and perils all over that I couldn't avoid.  I was killed by another bane during a night spawn that came my way by chance, giving me rot.  

A Scarlet had max followers and 3 amazing treasure items and controlled most of the settlements on the board. She was sitting at about a 15 point prestige lead and was spamming traps on me nearly the whole game.  The River and the Thane were too busy fighting each other to really get anything done, and after the Scarlet nearly killed them while taking no damage they just gave her a wide berth. I finally completed my second quest when the King had two health.  

I then tried to get to the closest wits peril but was killed when a bane spawned from a dungeon I needed for either gold or magic and pushed me into a swamp. I ran back in with just enough time to get to the palace. The Stranger pushed me out of the starter area, which helped, but then on the next turn pushed me away from the palace. I was still able to climb a mountain and enter, and as fortune would have it, I had 3 out of the 4 cards needed for the peril, and rolled the last one I needed.  This all happened on the King's one health night.  Fortunately, going for nothing but item cards for three turns straight, I picked up Hot Rot Wine just as I breached the palace.  I had equipped gear that reduced my dice pool and gave me shields/swords and I spent all of my remaining gear on sword icons during the king battle to reduce my potential misses.  I gave the king 2 rot dice, but went in with 4/5 health and ended up surviving the kill.

I have never before felt so hopeless in a match up and had it turn around at the very last moment due to the perfect synergy of luck and strategy. I ended up taking all commendations for the match (other than mine which went to the badass Scarlet).

Munsa, even the Twiss match where I stole your victory at the last second had nothing on this game in terms of the utter dominance being displayed by the Scarlett.  She had no corruption and was crushing 7 point Banes without taking any damage, because of her gear and followers.  She was the most experienced player (by a lot) and it showed.

I really need to start streaming these games!

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

Awards

Love to get a crew together this afternoon and evening to ping pong back and forth between HotS and Armello.

I'm game and have recently picked up Armello as well.  Sadly it'll be later into the evening before I'm able to get home and get online tonight :(

When the Prestige Leader doesn't get the Prestige Leader win.  What????

Prestige Leader Loss.png

Awards