Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Wabbitz

Understanding the Widow Pick

Hey folks, it's your favorite player here--Monkey.

As some of you will come to understand, I am a Widowmaker main. I love everything about her play-style. However, sometimes people can be real negative about my decision to play my main in competitive. It doesn't phase me anymore, as I must have spent over 50+ hours (maybe 100?) training on XBOX (And like 15+ hours on PC), but it definitely affects those trying to learn & master her.  Though PC seems to be more toxic than console, I dealt with harassment from Plat up to high Master's on console. I've got a tolerance.

I mean, if you're not playing like Kephrii in Gold, then you WILL get flamed...HARD. It's understandable though. 90% of population can't play Widow worth a damn, but you know what? Tons of people can't play Meta picks very well either. I've seen useless soldiers, insta-dead Winstons, and Mercy's that don't know how to use their ultimate properly. Yet, most losses seem to get blamed on the most difficult non-meta characters--Widow & Hanzo.

Where was I going with this? Oh, right. 

I had a series of games last night in which I met a Hanzo main. We did a great job steamrolling the enemy team as W+H, and I tossed him a friend request. Deciding to see how far our luck would carry us, our next few matches were spent as duo snipes, and man...THEY WERE BRUTAL. Not brutal in the sense that we lost consistently, but rather, our teammates constantly flamed us & made many attempts at throwing the game. Unfortunately for many of them, we were on FIRE. Despite all their efforts, we STILL powered through, and scored ourselves a ~70% win rate over ~10 games. 

These experiences only reinforced the preconceived notion that the competitive Overwatch community is toxic & inflexible. However, a player named Pantsu in the forums offered an excellent alternative to raging at a Widow/Hanzo duo (which I want to keep testing). 

I want to share Pantsu's tips, which may help you win the next time you're in this situation.

If you have a Widow or a Hanzo on your team, play around them.
Where is your widow perched? What sight line is she looking down? 
Is the enemy team respecting that sight line or challenging her? If they're challenging her, they're not looking at you. Be aggressive and kill them. If they're too focused on the widow to stop you, they're as good as dead. 
If they're respecting her sight lines, move up and take that ground. The enemy is giving it to you for free. 

A widow doesn't need picks to be effective. She just needs a team who'll aggressively take the space she makes. Getting picks is just a bonus. But if she's dying a lot or trying to play into a lot of counters, it's just a bad hero choice. 

As for Hanzo, He doesn't have the same sniper mechanics as Widow. Hanzo is better at holding angles and doing massive amounts of damage to tanks, with his scatter arrows. Or if he wants to be truly annoying, getting picks with it. 
So what should you do if there's a Hanzo on your team? 
Follow up on his damage. If he scatters a tank down to half health, the other half'll be a cakewalk for you. If he gets bodyshots, then pounce on the low health enemies. 
Hanzo doesn't really need kills, he just needs damage, and a team that can follow up on it and help him hold the corners and angles he loves. 

If you have both on your team, consider a 3rd DPS, like a Tracer to pounce on body shots easily, and help take the ground the snipers are making for you. 2 Very Aggressive tanks work well too. Zarya, Winston, or D.va in any combination. Zarya especially, as her graviton combo with Hanzo ultimate is still insane. 
For healers, you'll want Zen/Lucio, as they don't need a whole lot of peeling to be effective. Plus Zen makes anything with discord an easy target for a sniper, or for the aforementioned Tracer. 

In Short; People are always going to make dumb picks in public comps. As long as they're not straight up throwing, the only thing you can do is do your best to play around what they're doing, and prop them up for success. If you don't, you lose. And if you do, and it goes badly, you lose. But at least then you tried to help, and you weren't toxic, right?

- Pantsu < https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758466415 >

Awards

Great post  @MadCast: Deaf Monkey!

I find myself playing mostly OW comp these days, and there have been similar situations. I've been with a W+H on the team, started off flaming (heck I gave them my 2 cents as well), but the enemy team was constantly challenging sniper space and got punished for it, and we won it. On the other hand, I have found myself outright destroying the first round of a KOTH. 2nd round, team gets cocky, gets W+H, and we lose. The other team starts clicking together, we don't shift off the W+H till 70% loss on the 3rd round, and lose it...

Overwatch can be fun, but it can be incredibly frustrating as well.

Awards

8 hours ago, MadCast: Zumbul said:

Great post  @MadCast: Deaf Monkey!

I find myself playing mostly OW comp these days, and there have been similar situations. I've been with a W+H on the team, started off flaming (heck I gave them my 2 cents as well), but the enemy team was constantly challenging sniper space and got punished for it, and we won it. On the other hand, I have found myself outright destroying the first round of a KOTH. 2nd round, team gets cocky, gets W+H, and we lose. The other team starts clicking together, we don't shift off the W+H till 70% loss on the 3rd round, and lose it...

Overwatch can be fun, but it can be incredibly frustrating as well.

You're explaining my life.

The biggest issue I have had with Comp on PC vs XBOX is the lack of "camaraderie". Often times, people don't even use their mics. I was able to SoloQ myself up to Masters on Xbox because I was able to communicate with more open minded individuals (There were plenty of bad games). On PC, I've noticed a much bigger ego on most players, even the healer mains (which surprised me). Often time, it's everyone else's fault. There is a major lack of accountability, and it's SUPER EASY to blame the difficult off-meta heroes than yourself.

Anywho, feel free to add me on OW! I'm currently hovering 2800SR.

Awards