MadCast: VoShay

Kyen-Keil, The Forest World

33 posts in this topic

The coarse feeling of sand presses against your cheek. Your eyes flutter awake, the darkness shifting ever so slightly as your eyes open and focus on cavernous black as far as you can see. You roll to your side, your body aching from unknown abuse. You sit up and glance around warily. Where?  Your mind beats against the edges of your perception, mental gears whirring without stop as your brain attempts to find any kind of meaning in this thick, humid atmosphere, devoid of light. Where?! Your breath quickens as the seriousness of this disorientation becomes clear. You cannot see. You do not know where you are. Before your blood sings danger, the world becomes light once more. Lilting motes of light come to life, hanging in the dead air and floating about- lightning beetles, you absentmindedly note, your brain stumbling onto something identifiable in the world before you. Towering, ancient trees become drifting shadows in a world of light and dark as other lights, creatures or not, begin to come into existence. Some merely white. Some red. Some iridescent and others a shimmering rainbow of changing colors. Your eyes focus closely on a particularly brilliant display before a whipcord crack and crunch end it. The violent machinations of a large, sloppy meal being devoured by some sort of carnivore breaks your reverie and you come to your feet, wary in the flickering light of the wood. You glance around but do not know if it is light or day- the canopy, some miles above (Miles?)  blots out the sun or moon; it blots out the entire sky. You glance around, desperately searching for a direction in which to stumble, wondering if civilization is in any direction when it happens. Roar is too perfunctory. Shriek too singular in pitch. The.. sound, for that word in all its understatement identifies the specificity of the occurrence, blots out not the sky, not the world, but your very soul. You gasp as if hit by a hammer in your chest, and you blink back sudden tears as your eyes water and your head spins. You fight back the urge to vomit. If decaying flesh, unspeakable atrocities, and death itself could be made one unified chorus, it would be this sound. You stagger and drop to your knees. The world is dark again.

Welcome to Kyen-Keil, the Forest World. Imagine a temperate rain forest, stretching to blanket most of a world not too unlike our own Earth. A world where instead of oceans, massive forests stretch down, down, and down- blotting out the sky and surrounding in darkness, mystery, and danger another world unknown to the dwellers above. 

Genre: Mystery-Thriller focusing on Exploration and Roleplaying

Background: You will awake on the forest floor, in the 'Marianas Trench' of this world, with no memory of how you got there, or who you are- merely that you had some mission, that it was important, and you don't recall if you finished it.

System: Sky Wars: Fantasy Conversion of Edge of the Empire

Starting: Sometime in October

Wanted: Brave Adventurers to take care of a Problem!

If you feel you have the bravery to delve deep into the forest, indicate your interest below.

Requirements:

Available on Monday Nights from roughly 9pm EST to 12AM EST- likely extending to 1AM ESTish as often as not.

Familiarity (even passing) with Edge of the Empire/FFG Star Wars OR a strong familiarity with Roleplaying Games generally

A desire to focus on exploration and roleplaying over combat dungeon crawling.

Edited by MadCast: VoShay

I'd certainly be interested if you'll have me! Tuesdays are usually a totally empty day for me and it would seem my current housing situation will be remaining in limbo for several months thus my schedule is highly unlikely to change. Plus that time slot is usually a perfect time for me. I'm familiar with a lot of different RPG systems as both a player and as a GM. If you will allow me to jump in just send me a confirmation via PM or here and I'll download the system materials to read up on them. 

I'm going to see who is interested and what kind of crowd is around before I make any decisions on a final party. Also gotta give my Tuesday night crew the first bite at the apple. :D

I'll send out a group PM to everyone who gets in as soon as I make a decision- probably in a week or so.

Updated to reflect the standard MONDAY night gaming and the accurate use of AM/PM. Sorry for anyone who thought otherwise about the game's time.

I am very deeply intrigued.  Monday is (also) already an empty day for me and I'd love to fill it with VoShay style fantasy thriller.

Edited by MadCast: Tamorex
Tues->mon

Awards

Mondays are still open for me so my interest remains unfazed. 

On 9/7/2017 at 0:52 AM, MadCast: VoShay said:

Updated to reflect the standard MONDAY night gaming and the accurate use of AM/PM. Sorry for anyone who thought otherwise about the game's time.

In that case, count me in.

Let's make it official; count me in on this magical forest adventure.

PMs sent to the interested parties who made the cut. If you did not receive a PM, you may still get a slot if someone drops out. Thanks everyone for expressing interest!

I was re-reading the intro to keep the hype going, and I have an observational question that might be nitpicky.  If there is no sunlight, what is the energy vector for this level?  Is it all isolated carnivores that venture upward?  Are there grass analogues that parasitize off of tree roots?  

I just find this idea fascinating, as was curious if you had put any thought toward it.  Oh OH!  What if these trees produced sap in volumes relative to their size?

An interesting consequence of a deep 'ocean forest' I think is that there'd be next to no cold-blooded life. At least not reptiles. Also, with that much plant life, you're going to have a lot more oxygen in the air, which means BIGGER animals. 

Gigantic spiders are a damn certain ramification of this ecosystem I think. Which means there's a spot in the ecosystem for fauna that's really good at getting rid of webs...

Ooooooh, does this mean I can cast corpse spiders? AWWWW DAMN!

Pre-Permian Extinction Earth serves up some real nasty boys.

Massive ancestors of scorpions, spiders, centipedes, and snails roamed the Earth.  I particularly like the crocodile sized aquatic scorpions.

Giant snails sound terrifying. Look up videos on snails eating stuff, particularly the ocean variety.

Hang on about the cold blooded life though.

If we are following the idea that Ocean = Forest on this world, and the trees stretch upward for miles, the forest floor could be much more prone to volcanic activity on a scale from warm springs and hot pots to full on magma flow.  Cold blooded creatures could exist in areas where heat from the interior of the planet seeps through.

Full on volcanoes could kill out stands of trees, creating deserts of obsidian and charcoal.  Maybe the canopy simply grows together over it when the volcano grows dormant, the enriched soil supporting a more verdant ecosystem of predatory plants that expand outward.  

Imagine one of these monolithic trees covered in rampantly aggressive kudzu out for blood.

MadCast: The Prince likes this

Hmm, I like the idea of these trees releasing magical sap as a defense mechanism against forest fires. (due to volcanoes/magma flow or not)

I'd like to think of the sap as a viable resource for any tribal-or-higher on the civilization tree to use as a building material.

Amber Ziggurat sounds like a fun location for adventure.

7 minutes ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

I'd like to think of the sap as a viable resource for any tribal-or-higher on the civilization tree to use as a building material.

Amber Ziggurat sounds like a fun location for adventure.

Why wouldn't it be both?

If sap is released as a natural defense mechanism, then you have sentient life triggering that defense mechanism on purpose to harvest the valuable sap.