MadCast Maday

Looking for Overwatch comp crew

Growing tired of the solo Q experience and looking to do more group Q's.  I'm a Mercy main, but I've got my comfort picks across the other roles as well, but Mercy is where I just perform best on a consistent basis.  I'm usually around weekday evenings/nights and usually afternoon or better on the weekends.  I placed around 2075 but have fallen to around 1850-ish.  So sadly I'm silver now when I was gold.  Looking for peeps to group with to at least be able to shoot the shit with fellow community comrades.

Unfortunately, Mercy is likewise my gal of choice by a significant margin (about 30x more time spent playing Mercy than all other heroes combined).  Maybe some of the folks who played in the last FM vs Admin would be up for it though.

I'd be glad to group with anyone. I'm roughly 2900 SR as of now. As long as you're within 1000 SR, we'll be allowed to queue up! I've Solo Q'd from 1800 to my current rank this season. With it being my first season on PC Overwatch (Played 4 seasons on XBOX), I lost 6 of my placements and got really low.

I usually fill, and will lean towards Widow if we lack a DPS, or our comp isn't working. 

I may be picking up Overwatch casually again now that I've caught a D2 bug... and by casually, I mean still aiming to improve and pushing to the limit. 😂

I'm out of touch with the changes to certain characters, but I have Junkrat, Roadhog, Reinhardt, Mercy (noticing a trend yet?), Ana, and Widow/Hanzo under my belt when I played before. I'll group for some quickplay games to see how things progress!

Edit: Yes I know I'm digging this up a little, but still interested if anyone else is!

Edited by MadCast: Sanjo

4 hours ago, MadCast: Sanjo said:

I'm out of touch with the changes to certain characters, but I have Junkrat, Roadhog, Reinhardt, Mercy (noticing a trend yet?), Ana, and Widow/Hanzo under my belt when I played before. I'll group for some quickplay games to see how things progress!

Roadhog and Mercy have undergone significant changes and Junkrat has been buffed since you've been away.  Mercy is basically an entirely different hero now.

From what I could see of Mercy, the only real difference is that her resurrect is now an ability on cooldown that only resurrects one person (it is no longer her ult), and her ultimate charges faster, and gives her an additional resurrect outside of the cooldown of her normal ability.  I'm not sure if the ultimate is limited to one resurrect, or if it can resurrect two people.  Most of what I gathered about its use was from watching Blizzcon.

From what I could tell, the only real change in playstyle is essentially that Mercy now resurrects players a lot more often, rather than saving the resurrect for team multideaths or wipes.

Did I miss anything? 

15 hours ago, MadCast: Angelix said:

From what I could see of Mercy, the only real difference is that her resurrect is now an ability on cooldown that only resurrects one person (it is no longer her ult), and her ultimate charges faster, and gives her an additional resurrect outside of the cooldown of her normal ability.  I'm not sure if the ultimate is limited to one resurrect, or if it can resurrect two people.  Most of what I gathered about its use was from watching Blizzcon.

From what I could tell, the only real change in playstyle is essentially that Mercy now resurrects players a lot more often, rather than saving the resurrect for team multideaths or wipes.

Did I miss anything? 

The new ultimate - Valkyrie - gives you a charge of Resurrection. So if your Resurrection (30s cooldown) is off cooldown and you use Valkyrie, that means you now have 2 charges of it. That gives you the ability to resurrect two people right off the bat. Although the 5m distance for resurrect is a pain in the ass. In addition to that, Valkyrie makes you fly on your own (like how you free-roam in spectator mode), your beam has more distance, and you can chain heal/damage boost. Plus your pistol has unlimited ammo so you can pew pew away for the lols. The devs wanted this ultimate change cause they didn't want Mercy to be played as "hide and res". They wanted her to be more engaged in combat.

However, in the PTR, the resurrect now has a 1.75s cast time except when using Valkyrie. Which is prolly gonna make Mercy basically obsolete. But it makes people who play Mercy think twice in resurrecting people. It's gonna be another switch of playstyle. Again. Poor Mercy mains. LOL

Awards

To anyone stuck in the high silver -> mid-gold range:

You may find it easier to climb by exclusively playing tanks and leading your team's engagements.

Pretty much the only play difference between plat and gold/silver is that people in plat tend to wait and group up rather than trickle into an objective. They are not necessarily better mechanically speaking.

This does mean you'll need to be active on comms, and focus on positivity. People really do respond when you're there to have a good time and you want the same for your team. 

Disclaimer: This can be done solo, but it is a slower road. I hit plat with a combination of solo q-ing and playing with @MadCast Maday and @MadCast: Deaf Monkey.

My plan from here is to start focusing on a smaller hero pool (Zarya/DVA, Zen/Symm, 76/Reaper), and making sure my performance is more consistent.
I can't find it at the moment, but I read an article written by a grandmaster who offered to view play footage of silver/gold players and give critique. He found that most people in silver/gold have no discernible difference mechanics-wise from Diamond players. The difference is consistency, strategic implementation, and game sense.

If you don't get salty and are willing to kill your ego and actually get better, I will queue with you regardless of SR.

16 minutes ago, MadCast: rife170 said:

If you don't get salty and are willing to kill your ego and actually get better, I will queue with you regardless of SR.

Ego? ME!? Never. :P

Salty?.... workin' on it. You know me from HoTS, though I handle other games differently.

I can understand their further adjustments to Mercy.  The big change is to the team mechanic and not Mercy herself with her current PTR changes.  The fly in and res is one thing when it's where your team is currently fighting on an established line.  It's another for Mercy to fly right through both lines and do an insta-res on a flanker that died behind the enemy back line.  This will be a much harder concept to grasp for flanker mains that their free res behind enemy lines is likely to be slim or not safely possible to do.  Good Mercy's won't have much of an issue with this as the higher skilled Mercy's usually have better team positioning down very well and will even now not bother diving to res the flanker behind enemy lines.  

The change won't mean much if your team has at least half their sense of protecting their supports.  So many teams are easily dismantled in a hurry if their team pays little attention to their supports given their supports are in proper team support positions.

Additional useful advice overall:

Proper team positioning:  Tanks should see the enemy team and their fellow tank if more than 1 > Offense/Defense characters should see each other but also be behind how many tanks > Healing supports should see everyone in front of them but not from a far away distance.

There's really only room for one flanking character on King of the Hill style maps.  You want characters that can fight on the point primarily.  If half your team is dive and flank characters then typically you won't be spending much time on the point attacking or defending said point.

Avoid shooting Zarya shields.  Sadly people shooting and feeding Zarya shields exists even within Plat ranks.  Rein or Orisa shields = shoot and destroy them damn things!  You only have limited magazine size and unlimited overall ammunition (except D.Va who has no magazine limitation either).  Take down them damn shields!

If an enemy dives into your team behind your tanks you and your team need to take the free kill said diving character is willing to give.  Allowing a dive character to dive into your back line and kill 1 or 2 people and still dive back out something is either ineffective about protecting your back line or attention is not being given towards the diving enemy fast enough.

I'm typically always up for grouping up for games when I'm around so feel free to message me when I'm around.