Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Epic

Our Game | League of Legends

I really appreciated this video. So many non gamers are close-minded when it comes to the industry of eSports. No one is saying that these people are baseball players or football players. As fans, we KNOW it's different, but this is something that people give 150% of their soul doing. It's worth acknowledging and respecting.

I am finishing my 10 page paper on social and cognitive benefits of video games and I added a large section about Esports and Bjergsen (Snuck in TSM on a college paper) but, regardless I loved this video people are beyond closed minded about Esports as whole but fail to realize 100+ million viewers tuned in for Worlds this year and that shit was in China. Add in also that NBA teams and investors are now involved in LCS and this league is healthier than MLS where the players make more than U.S soccer players but no it isn't a sport or shouldn't be respected as such.  Awesome Video I would have embedded it into my paper if I had saw it earlier 

As an athlete, I can definitely attest to the fact that the stigma of "non-athletes" around eSports is going away on college campuses, and it's becoming something that a lot of people are more open-minded to. With the proliferation of eSports, there's also been a proliferation of understanding how impressive these players are at their respective games. I'm really excited to watch eSports continue to grow in the United States, and I'm enjoying that live TV is picking up more eSports events so I can watch on TV instead of on Twitch XD

My last 2 schools North Texas and now East Tennessee State University have league teams and last I heard my old school was giving scholarships or was planning too. In my younger years, I played soccer in college and it is amazing to see the jump and acceptance that Esport is gaining and a lot of the credit has to go to Riot and their marketing the jumps in viewership and now player contracts is remarkable hopefully EU and LCK catch up to strengthen the genre as a whole. 

edit: Apparently if the community growth continues LCS will end up on ESPN trying to find the article I had it in my paper 

Edited by MadCast: MaroModo

The fact that people don't consider online gaming a sport is fair.  But if I'm not mistaken its called "e"-sports for a reason.  E meaning electronic.  This is a very distinct difference as far as I'm concerned.  I agree that its not a traditional, go out and get sweaty, beat on your friends and have fun, work out to get more endurance kind of sport.  It is however a sport of its own kind.  You have to train your body to respond to certain stimuli, build up your finger/hand/wrist muscles to prevent injury (I've seen Aphromoo use a bander to constantly put resistance on opening and closing his hand so he can increase the amount of endurance he has), you have to be able to adapt to ever changing situations, you have to train your mind to react quickly, you have to train mentally to be able to endure the amount of hours these players put in on stage and in practice matches.  I remember when I started playing pool.  For a long time that wasn't considered a sport where now it is (even if it is a dying sport).

All things being said in the end it doesn't really matter if people want to look at eSports like League as a real sport because we all know it is in this day and age where everyone is using computers or game consoles and not going out into the open world as much anymore.  Besides the ones that are going to campaign against these sort of games as not being a real sport are the ones that will never play it in the first place.

ok.  end rant.  lol.