MadCast: Aeryx

College Football Week 14

Generally Important Division Championship and Playoffs:

Clemson > Miami

Georgia > Auburn (I'm glad to see GA pull that off)

Sooners > TCU

OSU > Wisconsin (game of the week)

So let the OSU - Alabama debate begin - I think it has to be OSU after beating Wisconsin but who knows.

First 3 are pretty much chalk.

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma

3. Georgia

4.?????

Based off the committee's decision last year to put Ohio State over Penn State, it would only make sense for them to continue the precedent of not valuing a conference championship as much as the eye test. Based off this, it's gotta be Alabama. However, that precedent doesn't cover leaving a conference completely out. Honestly, I'm super interested to hear these rankings in an hour, just to see what they decide.

Also, bold decision by Wisconsin not to go for the 4th and 3 with about 3 minutes left. Ended up leaving them with a 4th and 20 instead on the next drive.

Edited by MadCast: Mike

Fuck Bama. Their SoS wasn't touching OSU and we beat and undefeated Wisconsin team that would've been a shoe in for the playoffs if they had beaten us. I hope Clemson beats the brakes off of them.

13 hours ago, MadCast: Mike said:

Based off the committee's decision last year to put Ohio State over Penn State, it would only make sense for them to continue the precedent of not valuing a conference championship as much as the eye test. Based off this, it's gotta be Alabama. However, that precedent doesn't cover leaving a conference completely out. Honestly, I'm super interested to hear these rankings in an hour, just to see what they decide.

Omg I'm so good.

I expected Bama (aside from what Mike pointed out I think there's a general SEC bias) - I would have liked to see OSU selected especially coming off that win.  I also think that UCF got the raw end of it; going undefeated and never evening being in contention for a playoff spot.  They need to really consider expanding to an 8 team playoff system. 

My biggest issue isn't that OSU is out it is that Bama went from being in what the committee said was basically a tie the week before to unequivocally better than OSU despite Bama not playing and OSU beating the #4 team in the country. 

I would have expected Auburn to have earned the #4 spot, personally. Granted they were a 3 loss team at that point... but they had ousted two #1 ranked teams and actually played in their Conference championship. If I recall correctly they had an early loss to Clemson who was likely top 4 at the time (and top now). Then a loss to LSU... but only by a few points while OSU lost to Iowa by a lot more than a few... Then their last loss was to Georgia who that had already beat earlier in the season and lets be honest, it's damn hard to beat the same team twice in the same season.

Now I was also secretly holding out for a UCF bid for the spot, especially if you compare them to Alabama. At least UCF was undefeated and a conference champion... ;)

Awards

So, predictions for the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl?

I think Oklahoma beats Georgia and I really don't have a good guess as to the winner of the Sugar Bowl.  Based on history I would say Alabama (yes... I remember last year - historically though Alabama has won a lot more than they've lost against Clemson) however Clemson is playing really well right now.  If I have to choose I think Saban pulls out a win and beats the Tigers this year and the Tide face the Sooners.  I will say that it would be absolutely huge for Georgia to be playing for the title in Atlanta I just don't see them winning.  I really, really, don't want to see Alabama and Georgia playing for the championship...I'd really like to see the SEC lose both games and Sooners playing Clemson. 

Please feel free to post your opinions and keep this discussion rolling (yeah I did that).

I am not so much for predictions as this is what I would like to see.   Oklahoma beating Georgia, because I kind of like Mayfield.  Clemson over Alabama, because fuck the TIDE.  Then i think it would be a great to see OU take it just simply for the fact that Clemson won last year.

1 hour ago, MadCast: Sotarkadin said:

... i think it would be a great to see OU take it

I would love to see the Big 12 take a title this year (even if it's not Texas)

On 12/4/2017 at 7:45 PM, MadCast: Aeryx said:

I expected Bama (aside from what Mike pointed out I think there's a general SEC bias) - I would have liked to see OSU selected especially coming off that win.  I also think that UCF got the raw end of it; going undefeated and never evening being in contention for a playoff spot.  They need to really consider expanding to an 8 team playoff system. 

If they're going to have 5 major conferences and a Group of 5 then it should have been an 8 team playoff from the start. Power 5 champions and best Group of 5 team get in, with 2 at larges.

1 Clemson vs 8 UCF

2 Oklahoma vs 7 USC

3 Georgia vs 6 Wisconsin

4 Alabama vs 5 Ohio State

But it would be pretty difficult to schedule with 2 extra games after the main bowl games. Can't play on the first weekend of January because that's NFL wild card playoffs. They would have to play the semifinals on Monday or Tuesday then the championship game on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Awards

Baker Mayfield plays in the Big 12, and he doesn't see defenses like UGA at all. Honestly I think Lorenzo Carter and Ro'Quan Smith give him a rude wake up call early. Whether he responds or not will be whether OU has a chance to win or not in my opinion.