Hawthorn

Community Cookbook?

Hey all, 

I'm going to be making a community cookbook MadCast:Cookery :) It would just be available as a free resource online. I have a ton of recipes I'd love to share! I'd love if other people donated their recipes to MadCast: Cookery :) 

:Edit:  @MadCast: Sotarkadinlinked me to a really old post  with recipes in it but I'll still be looking for new recipes and more recipes, so feel free to comment what you have here :)

Edited by MadCast: Hawthorn
amend

This is such a great idea.  That thread linked above was a few years old.  I am going through my recipes now and will post some later today.  I have been documenting my cooking over the past year as I have changed my diet and eating habits.  Tons of recipes and pictures.  Excited to see where this goes.

YES! I love cooking. :) I have been cooking for myself since I was 11 or so, and I feel like I've accumulated a ton of recipes since then - I'm actually also working on my own personal cookbook at the moment as well, but I thought this would be something neat for the community to have. I know that @MadCast: Epic and @MadCast: RedJustice both love cooking too, and Epic's given me a bunch of neat recipes to pour through. I'm sure that there are other people in the MadCast community that feel the same way that I do about food. :3 

One recipe I make frequently is homemade BBQ sauce.  I started having health issues last year and had to make some diet changes and such.  One of the big things was cutting out excess sugar and things with High-Fructose corn syrup.  Well anybody who has ever paid attention to labels knows that stuff is in everything.  It's used as a sweetener and a filler.  So I started making my own sauces and things.

This is a quick and easy BBQ sauce recipe that goes great with anything.

Ingredients

1/4 cup vinegar

1/2 cup water

2 Tbl sp. brown sugar

1 TB sp. yellow mustard

1 1/2 teasp. salt

1/2 teasp pepper

1/4 teasp cayenne

juice of 1 lemon

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup ketchup

2 Tbl sp.  worcestershire suace

1 1/2 teasp liquid smoke

Mix the first 9 ingredients(vinegar through butter), bring to a boil and let boil uncovered for 20 mins.

Turn down heat and add ketchup, worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Let simmer for a few minutes until mixed and heated through.  Then add to your favorite meat.

I use this sauce two ways most of the time.  I slather it on some chicken on the grill or I smoke a pork shoulder and shred it then mix in the sauce for pulled pork sandwhiches(pictured below).

IMG_0224.thumb.JPG.abb3ce319c20a3cb932f8e9b45ddb145.JPG

Edited by MadCast: Sotarkadin

19 hours ago, MadCast: Epic said:

Please tell me why this is? You are missing out on the joys of making butter infused dishes.

Indeed, when a friend of mine taught me to make hollandaise he asked me what i though the important part was, then help up a pound of butter, xD.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:44 PM, MadCast: Epic said:

Please tell me why this is? You are missing out on the joys of making butter infused dishes.

Mm that sounds good. I'm just never got the ingredients or all the fancy equipment to actually create something decent 

ill start with 1 of my favorite.

its called Shakshuka.

Ingredients for making shakshuka (2-3 portions):

Large onion

chopped 4 medium-sized tomatoes cut into cubes (preferably soft tomatoes)

1/2 gamba cut into cubes

3-4 crushed garlic cloves

2 big spoon tomato paste

4 eggs

* Spicy shakshuka (i usally make it spicy): chopped hot pepper or a teaspoon of hot paprika

Seasoning: a spoonful of sweet paprika, salt, and black pepper to taste

preparation method:

· Add the tomatoes, the gamba, the hot peppers and the garlic, add a little salt and simmer for a few minutes until the gamba is softened (occasionally stirring).

· Add the puree and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Leave for a few more minutes and add the eggs. ·

Cook and simmer on low heat until desired eggs are obtained.     i myself dont like gamba so i never add gamba to my shakshuka.Displaying /IMG-20180125-WA0044.jpeg  *my recent shakshuka i made:)

19 hours ago, MadCast: Flying Fairy said:

Mm that sounds good. I'm just never got the ingredients or all the fancy equipment to actually create something decent 

you hardly need fancy shite, for example, one of my favorite dessert recipes is called Cranachan, basically comes down to raspberries, mushed raspberries, cream, whisky, honey, and oats. (and since you'll probably be using north american raspberries, a wee bit of sugar for the crushed ones). 

what you do, is you take 1/3 a cup of steel cut oats and toast them very lightly in a pan, then put them in a bowl with 1/3 a cup of whisky and cover, refrigerate overnight. (mind, very lightly toasted, a minute or two at most, don't burn the bloody things)
use a decent whisky, something like a Glenlivet if you like it lighter, or a Te Bheag if you like it heavier

when you're ready to make the dish, toast 1/4 cup of the same oats in the same manner, then set aside to cool

next you're going to nick out about 2 cups of raspberries, and choose a few of the best to decorate the finished dish, then slightly crush the rest, you're not looking to make a jam, and if you're using north american berries (they're just not as sweet as their Scottish counterparts) sprinkle in two teaspoons of sugar, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of the same whisky, mix that all well, then set aside

Next, whip about 2 cups of good quality heavy whipping cream (about 35% to 45%)  then add about 2 tablespoons each of honey and whisky, whip until stiff peaks form, then fold in the whisky soaked oats. 

finally to assemble it, get a glass (preferably a whisky glass sized affair, or something akin)  and put a spoonful or two of the crushed raspberries to cover the bottom of the glass, the cover that with a layer of the cream mixture, sprinkle some of the toasted oats on top of that, then repeat until the glass is full, and garnish with the reserved raspberries. 

as far as the people i cook for are concerned, that is always a winner. 

I love to cook but hardly ever do it because that takes efforts, plus I have no one to really cook for. Anyway, that aside, I look forward to all the recipes that will potentially be posted here and I plan to post results if I try any of em out if that is acceptable. : o On a side note, I've got a recipe for fried rice if anyone is interest among other stuff. Fried rice is pretty common and simple, so that's probably the least interesting one I've got, but yeah. 

Creme de la Creme a la Edgar.

-------------------------------------------

1 Ritz Cracker

1 Cup Milk

1 Sleeping Pill

// Combine sleeping pill and milk

// Dip Ritz into the milk, and consume until depleted

// Take a cat nap

------------------------------------------

In all seriousness though I'll post my Arroz con Pollo recipe later. It's just a doozy of a recipe to type at 6am.