Sign in to follow this  
Glo Stix

I really like this game but I hate the community

Let me start by saying I have 3,000 hours into the game, so while to some who have played since launch thats minimal, but I'm by far not a new player. 

Over my time spent playing I found myself nearly all of the time disagreeing with the main mindsets held in this game. Namely the "meta" and the communities hold on it. While it holds true that if you're min maxing certain builds do absolutely do better than others. There are also builds in between the best build and the worst build, some of which are very viable to play. 

Among other things that would be a novel to read, the game itself is great, lore is a 6/10, custom character builds a solid 9/10, and the over all world is a 8/10 for me, but the community is about a 3/10 compared to other games I've played over the last 15 or so years. Sadly this was enough to finally kill the game for me, and while i try to go back every few months and play some, it never lasts long.

A lot of this is solved if you play with friends or find a community in the game that let you play out of the meta in content that typically requires it, it's unfortunate that you don't like the community but if you're the outlier maybe you're the problem and not the community? Personally speaking, I didn't find the content as/more enjoyable than WoW or other MMO's so I went back after a few hundred and haven't touched it since.

Awards

My experience is that it is only a minority subset of the community that cares about meta. Mainly, people raiding, serious WvW/PvP, and high level fractals. Imo this is understandable because this is the hard(est) end-game content and if you are doing pick up groups, people should be able to rely on you to be running standard builds for coordination purposes etc (especially given there is no holy trinity, so builds ensure your group has the right balance of dps, heals, and tankiness)  However, within dedicated guilds there tends to be fairly high variance based on coordination of skills across multiple players. If you want to experiment and run non-standard stuff for hard content, it's probably best to do it in that context.

All of that said, I have never had issues with anyone for running suboptimal builds when my performance is on-par, even in pick up groups. I run a very-not-meta ranger build lol (except in WvW if I am tagging up with my serious WvW guild, then I run a druid guild-build which is not quite meta either). If you are running something off-meta, I think it's good manners to let people know at the start of a fractal or w/e, just to make sure the group has enough CC/Stab/etc. GW2 has one of the nicest communities of any online game I have ever played in terms of general helpfulness to other players and player base maturity. It's a pretty casual and laid back MMO compared to most.