Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Dez

Mechanical Keyboard?

Question

So far in my gaming life, I'd just used a standard keyboard. Is it worth it to try and get a mechanical keyboard? I hear good things, but I also don't know what would be better between all the colour switches.

11 answers to this question

I've heard a lot of good things about them, and I decided to get one myself.

I personally don't really enjoy them as much as a typical keyboard, just because of how clunky it is. I think it's because I have such small fingers though, so I trip up trying to type sometimes, lol.

I also notice that I type a bit slower on the mechanical keyboard and make a lot of errors, but typing isn't a huge aspect with most games anyways, so it's not much of a big deal really.

But they are very loud, which was mentioned.

In general, I think it's mostly personal preference, I don't hate them, but I also don't prefer them, but I'm kinda stuck with one lol.

I have a Razer mechanical keyboard and absolutely love it they are loud but then again it feels so much smoother then non-mechanicals 

Awards

I have a Das at work (I think gen 2), and a Razer Chroma at home. I love both and don't notice a huge difference between them in terms of quality. I really enjoy the clicky feedback and the keystroke resistance. On older crappy keyboards, sometimes you get loose keys that register if you accidentally nudge them. Tbh, I don't believe it makes any real difference for gaming unless you are playing at a more competitive level. However, I use a computer keyboard for 12+ hours a day, and I think it's worth the $ just for the enjoyment of something I use so frequently.

Also, I get a lot of admiration from my coworkers about my typing, lol.

I went with the Eagletech with their blue switches. One of the most affordable mechanicals out there and I haven't had any complaints yet.

Decent feel to the keys, both tactile and audible feedback when the key depresses and pretty solid anti ghosting

Worst case scenario, you hate it and are out ~$30

I currently own 3 mech keebs.  In general the most satisfying thing about a mech board is the tactile confirmation of a key compression.  You don't get that feeling with rubber domes.  There is a distinct feel when a mech key is pressed along with a satisfying click that confirms each stroke.  

It also allows you to create a customized experience.  Switch type, color, back lights, RGB, keyboard size, artisan caps, etc.  The possibilities are endless and it can become a bit of an addiction if you aren't careful.  

Head on over to /r/mechanicalkeyboards to get your learn on

This is my main keeb:

• Vortex Poker II 
  • While LEDs
  • Ducky Keycaps
  • Cherry MX Blue switches
  • O-ring silencers

e9XNYAg.jpg?1

Haha, I've heard on Discord when someone has one and keeps an open mic ;)

Thanks for the info and pic Scooba! Looks awesome.

Edited by Chick Fil Atio

I've used several over the years. The tactile clicking and feel of the keys can make some of them worth it in games. I've had a couple versions of the Black Widow Ultimate over the years and after using them extensively, I started out liking them but now it's almost annoying - especially when playing with someone who has an open mic. I've even muted my mic or turned on push-to-talk because I know it annoys other players. 

I've settled on the Logitech G710+ because it's sort of a 'middle-ground'. You still get the feel of the mechanical keys but with way less sound involved.