Sign in to follow this  
Dez

Ready Player One

Anyone see the movie and want to discuss? I thought it was decent. Very descriptive though, which is bad storytelling.

I wasn't all too impressed with the execution of the plot.  There was plenty to look at and I found myself constantly focusing on the outlying visuals rather than what was front and center (in this case that isn't a bad thing!).

One thing is for certain though:  Blizzard paid a pretty penny for all those cameos (Cheers love!)

Agreed. Tracer got front and center a few times.

The storytelling was super weak. I'd expect a movie like that to hold my attention for the first watch and then I watch it again for the references, but because of the weak plot, I was definitely doing the same thing with outlaying visuals.

Fun little flick, but not worth the insane $15+ fee for movies these days!

I only paid $9 for a ticket, but it was most definitely worth it. If you're going to see this movie, go see it in theaters! Best way to watch it is on the big screen due to the fantastic visuals!

1 hour ago, MadCast: HK said:

I have not seen the movie yet, but I loved the book. I've read it several times now.

I've heard that it's nothing like the movie, and that you can't even compare the two.

Edited by MadCast: Biscuit

I went to see it with the wife, she has read the book and I have not. We both really enjoyed it but she did get hung up a bit on all the differences. I got to just enjoy it for what it was. So regardless if you read the book or not I recommend going to see it. 

Was it at least a visually exciting movie? I haven't enjoyed the rampant ignorance from the marvel series of movies but they are fun to watch.

Awards

Caster, it was definitely visually compelling. Some major fight scenes. 

If you are into 3D movies, this would probably be a good one. 

The movie was meant to be a visual experience, just like Avatar was in its day. Expecting it to be a masterpiece and faithful adaptation of the novel was asking too much. For me, part of the fun was trying to see how many references to other games I could find in the film. While I enjoyed the book, it also had flaws that affected its mass appeal (Like the avalanche of obscure '80s references), and this movie addressed many of them. However, the movie only used the framework of the novel and changed up everything else, which is to be expected considering the novel had a lot going on. In the end, I came in not expecting much and appreciated it for what it was, a cool-looking movie (That first racing scene was legit) with plenty of cliches and mediocre dialogue. Hated the ending, but was overall cool with it. Seeing it at Navy Pier's new theatre in 3D didn't hurt either.

is it guarenteed tob be in 3D? i rather enjoy 2D lol

On 4/13/2018 at 11:03 AM, Dez said:

Caster, it was definitely visually compelling. Some major fight scenes. 

If you are into 3D movies, this would probably be a good one. 

Awards

No, I watched it in 2D and it's fine, but you can definitely see the parts that were made with 3D in mind. It's still awesome visually in 2D. I personally don't really like 3D.