MadCast: rife170

MadCast Werewolf Vol. 12

This is the official MadCast Werewolf Vol. 12 game thread.

Here are the rules once again for the uninitiated. Please read them carefully before beginning play. Do not be the guy who ruins the game for everyone because you did not read the rules.

1. DO NOT DISCUSS THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD. The only exceptions are the werewolves, who have a separate place for discussion, and the doctor, vigilante, and psychic, who will send me Discord messages or PMs for their night actions. Also permitted is conversation with me regarding questions about gameplay. If you think you might screw something up if you do it, talk to me first. I encourage that. However, absolutely no talking amongst anyone else involved in the game. Violators of this policy will be removed from the game and barred from at least the next game, with possibly more substantial punishment. Cheating ruins the game for everyone.

2. Please vote in the following format: VOTE rife170. Yes, it needs to be bolded. Yes, it needs to be capitalized. There are a lot of you and I need to tabulate votes on a fairly frequent basis. This helps me do so. Likewise, if you decide to change your vote, please do so as follows: UNVOTE rife170. VOTE Epic. Failure to follow this format = your vote does not count.

3. Non-participants of the game are not welcome to post in this thread, with the exception of MadCast Staff as needed. There will be appropriate forum privilege consequences for doing so. Consider this thread On Topic, and if you're not in the game, you cannot post on topic. FURTHER, participants and non-participants alike shall avoid the use of any Like buttons in this thread. The Like buttons have no worth or meaning in the game, and particularly if used by non-participants unduly emphasizes specific posts.

4. There are two phases during the game: daytime and night time. During the day, werewolves appear as normal people. All the townsfolk select an individual they suspect as being a werewolf to hang, hopefully ridding the town of the werewolf menace. Changing votes is acceptable, as is discussion about who should be voted or not. The game thread will be locked during night time. No discussion is permitted at night. During the nighttime, the werewolves will brutally murder one townsperson. That person is dead and out of the game (and may not post again). Likewise for anyone hung by majority vote of the villagers. I don't mind a little joking around during daytime, but please note in said post that it's OOC (out of character). You may make your character anything that you wish (including simply yourself).

5. The five current roles are as follows:

Villager - common member of town, no special abilities, votes during day phase to hang one townsperson suspected of being a werewolf. A majority vote must be reached for a hanging to occur.

Doctor - The doctor is a villager with a special ability. During the night phase, the doctor chooses one player to protect from the werewolves. That player cannot be killed by the werewolves for the course of that night phase. The doctor may select the same player for 2 consecutive night phases but no more. (ex: I am the doctor. Night 1 I save myself, Night 2, Munsa. Night 3 and 4 myself, Night 5, Scooba)

Psychic - The psychic is likewise a villager who has an additional special ability. During the night phase, the psychic may divine the status of one individual in the game. The psychic will PM me who they want to scry, and I will respond with that person's role in the game. What the psychic does with that information is more or less up to them, subject to the rules above. If the psychic checks the doctor or the vigilante, they will simply be revealed as another villager.

Werewolf - Werewolves have big pointy teeth and large claws. They're killing machines who appear human by day, avoiding detection. They're always hungry. They're probably imagining eating you right now. I'd be careful if I were you. The werewolves vote like regular villagers, but during the night phase, they deliberate in their own special thread/PM and determine one individual that they kill, subject only to the actions of the doctor.

Vigilante - The vigilante is a villager who fights back! During night phase the vigilante may name a player as the wolves do and kill that player. The vigilante may do so twice per game, and may gain a third chance if his/her first two kills are both werewolves.

6. The game ends when:
A. All the werewolves are dead. The village wins.
B. There are as many werewolves left as everyone else, making it impossible for the town to get a majority to kill a werewolf. At that point, the werewolves devour the town and the werewolves win.

7. In the context of the game, feel free to: lie, deceive, dissuade, blame, campaign, propagandize, defend, attack, suspect, give speeches, stay quiet, or do whatever else the rules have not already prohibited. Lying in the game thread is allowed, encouraged, and expected in terms of deciding who the villagers hang. Part of the fun is figuring out who is telling the truth. Besides, your neighbor is a bloody werewolf and deserves to hang.

8. The game will begin upon my announcement in this thread. My first flavor post will indicate the beginning of the game.

9. All players are required to make at least one post per day phase. This post indicates your activity. You do not have to vote. You do not have to say anything meaningful. You *do* have to post. More than one failure to post will result in your removal from the game. I am not wasting my considerable effort to put this together for you to blow it off midgame.

10. Editing of posts is strictly forbidden in the game. If you must correct something, you may double post to do so, but you may not edit. If editing were permitted, players could change errors in argument and logic that might give them away, or even change votes after the fact. Don't do it. Edited posts (with the exception of Staff edits as needed) will have consequences.

11. There will be no identification of a killed psychic, vigilante, or doctor. Werewolves will be identified if they are killed.

12. The cutoff time for day and night phase is a guide and is not meant to be taken literally. Each phase actually ends when the thread is opened and/or closed. Thus, if the thread is open, any post, vote, or unvote is legitimate and will be accepted. This is done for two reasons: one, to recognize my limitations in running the game, and two, to avoid the problem of what to do with post-deadline posts. Also, strategies involving the deadline are disfavored by yours truly.

13. There are three werewolves among you. They will kill you if you do not kill them. Good luck.

Living:

1. EdgeQueen
  2. Mike
  3. Luna
  4. Icarus
  5. Prince
  6. Dad

Dead: 

1. Naru
  2. Dez
  3. Hyndesyte
  4. Quanta
  5. Lurama
  6. Sotar
  7. Stan
  8. Caster

Winter had come, and winter had gone.

The sequestered town of MadCast woke to the first frost and steeled themselves for the nightmare that terrorized them every year without fail. Doors bolted, fires warm, watchmen patrolling through the night in three's gave the citizens little solace. 

As the nights grew longer and colder, each rising sun seemed only to bring more dread instead of less. The village coiled in upon itself tighter and tighter, threatening to snap... until one fateful morning, when the groundhog didn't see his shadow. 

Spring had come!

MadCast rejoiced! 'Soltices be damned!' cried Epic, the village recruiter*. 'There shall be a feast to end all feasts! The wolves are gone!' And so, there was a feast. A raucus occasion to be noted in the histories; for the town's licquor reserves had not been drained in the face of impending doom and the sight of one's neighbor cleaned to the bone. 

The light waned as the festivities roared through the square, and Epic stole away from a dance with a smile on his face. The first day of spring demanded a sacrifice to the Sap Goddess, as was tradition. A sacrifice the strange northern man was glad to pay this year, and would be every year hence now that the blight upon his village's soul had been cleansed.

In a knook close to the edge of the wood, Epic cleared grime and brush from a stout shrine carved from an ancient maple, and began a quiet prayer**. 

Perhaps it was the magic of the old gods that roused them, or the pungent sap from the sacred tree that brought them. It would be tempting, yes, to assume the hellspawns' way had been opened with ancient magic. Tempting, but incorrect. They are brought by blood, and the blood of sacrifice sings a seductive song indeed.

Spring had come, and so had wolves.

*Villages need recruiters, you see, when wolves devour most of their population every year.
**This observer dared not get too close, as communion with the old gods can interfere with our abilities. However, the words 'moose' and 'gravy' were certainly repeated throughout.

DAY 1 BEGINS

Edited by MadCast: rife170

Good morning my fellow MadCastians! I certainly hope you enjoyed the feast prepared by me and my staff. Please feel free to come by the recently renovated and remodeled Inn and stay awhile and eat!

Hello you there! Innkeeper!

My name is Icarus and I am new to town. I need a place to stay. Where is your inn?

May I also ask your name? 

Sober folks call me Lurama. However, that's apparently too tough for the drunkard and they tend to mispronounce it Llama so I go by both these days.

You can find the inn just off of the town square, there's a nice large sign on the front that looks like a hairy horse with a long neck, it is in fact a Llama. I call the inn the Spitting Llama. I fashion it a place for folks to kick back and shoot the breeze in the tavern space and to catch some Zs in the upstairs bedrooms that are well insulated to dampen the sound of the late night visitors.

Look forward to having you as a guest!

Thank you so much! I met this one guy Epic in the next town over and he said a magic moose would pay for my lodging with maple syrup until I can build my own house on a plot of land. 

Is that true? 

*My RP text will be in italics, I will try to keep it going as long as I can. It can get Hectic at times.

As Quanta awoke this morning, he noticed something strange was in the cold spring air. He felt a sense of dread but couldn't figure out why. Anyways this was not going to affect his normal activities.

Dania wasn’t sure why the village seemed so cheerful today. Don’t they remember what happened? Don’t they remember what always happens?

She shuddered at the memories, the bloody, horrific memories that still haunted her at night. She had lost her brother in the last wolf attack, his mangled corpse an image forever branded in her memory.

The cheerful chatter of the innkeeper and his potential guest brought her back to reality. “Good, stay at the inn. All grouped up, defenseless and cozy.  That seems like a wise idea,” she muttered as she walked by almost subconsciously clutching the dagger she kept sheathed at her waist. Was she a little paranoid? Maybe. Did the townspeople notice? She didn’t care to dwell on their opinions. 

Awards

Mike walked outside his quaint little abode at the edge of the little town that he grew up in and knows so well. He took another peek at the welcome sign hanging by the road, it said “Welcome! Population: 14”

”Goodness” Mike said to himself, clutching the baseball bat that the townspeople know he carries around constantly, “Y’all are all riled up again. Who are these intruders, and why do they crowd at the inn? I smell evil in the air, and don’t think for one dern second I’m gon let it infiltrate my town.”

At the abandoned church crazy old Naru can be found dressed in shredded rags and wearing a leash, proselytizing for his new faith, clearly driven mad by one too many seasons of the wolf.

"THE END IS UPON US! REPENT YOUR WICKED WAYS AND RETURN TO THE CHURCH ! ONLY THOSE VIEWED AS GOOD BOYS SHALL BE SAVED AT THE PAWS OF OUR LORD DOGGO. IN HIS BORKS WE FIND WISDOM AND COMPASSION ! IN HIS ZOOMIES  WE FIND NOURISHMENT FOR THE SOUL! Drink deep my puppers from the water bowl of his love!"

Awards

The gamesman, Hynde, checked the last of his traps. This morning had turned out just like the others, empty traps which meant an empty coin purse. I'll have to set traps further out... he thought. He'd been telling himself that for three days now, but something kept him from venturing further than usual. It was almost as if some heavy air had settled over the village. What hint of game he saw was too old to be useful for tracking and that fawn he found yesterday... No man or beast he knew hunted like... THAT. I'll just need to set traps further out...maybe tomorrow... For now, he'd settle his nerves at the tavern. 

Luna sits quietly at his bench, a large magnifying glass perched atop a metallic arm rested beneath his down turned face. A chaotic array of tools, contraptions and parts occupy his work space.

As he works a large clock begins to sound the arrival of a new hour.

*gong* *gong* *CRASH*

Luna rises to inspect the now broken clock "hmm shoddy handiwork, or an ill omen?..... must be the later"

I'm going to skip role play this year. So down to the dirty business. It's best just to start right away with the hangings. A couple of years ago, the group waited to hang somebody until the 3rd day, and by then, so much chaos was sewed that it was hard to distinguish friend from foe. We started haning folks right away last year and the village won. Thoughts?

Caster stared at "Stan" in astonishment. "Surely anyone who doesn't speak the same language as us is a miscreant, a foul beast unable to communicate in the simplest of terms." Caster said with a shout. "He should be hung immediatley for surely he is trying to entrap us and pit us against each other." 

Caster grinned roguishly and slinked away knowing the other villagers had heard his shout.

Awards

As Icarus settled into his room he puts his heavy pack on the bed. He pulls out the leather case and opens it. Maybe this town will be the one I can build my workshop,  he thought. Icarus inspects the chisels, knives, and various measuring devices. All that beautiful maple would make great viols. I should go out sometime and mark some trees for future use. Icarus puts his instruments back and heads downstairs.

Too bad the magic moose isn't real, now I'll have to actually have to pay my tab. 

23 minutes ago, MadCast: Icarus said:

As Icarus settled into his room he puts his heavy pack on the bed. He pulls out the leather case and opens it. Maybe this town will be the one I can build my workshop,  he thought. Icarus inspects the chisels, knives, and various measuring devices. All that beautiful maple would make great viols. I should go out sometime and mark some trees for future use. Icarus puts his instruments back and heads downstairs.

Too bad the magic moose isn't real, now I'll have to actually have to pay my tab. 

While the Moose is the fabled creature of the local wilds, no one has seen one in many many years. I would be willing to entertain payment plans or deferred payments if you should need it, however I feel that my prices are plenty reasonable. Then again, as a warning... I have heard that the town folk do not look favorably upon indebted individuals.

As a bounty for those willing: l'd be more than willing to tap into my supply of Canadian Maple Syrup to use in a glaze for that rumored delicious meat.

For my character post the following applies, "This means I am talking to a person"; This means thinking thoughts ; and this sets the scene.

"Thanks for the offer Lurama but I have the money to pay you now. If I find a moose I'll bring it here and we'll have a town feast!"

Lurama, are there any musicians in this town?"

9 hours ago, MadCast: Icarus said:

I know not of any musicians, but I've been known to have a story or two. Didja ever hear the one about when Sotar and Stan walked into the bar? It is quite the riot!

Anywho, if ya don't know me the folks round here call me Prince but I'd just as soon have ya call me er... well Prince is as good a name as any.

Oh, you wanna know what I do here? I'm the gravekeeper o'course! I make sure that when we fine folks decide to start killin' each other just as fast as the furry ones do, that we have a nice final restin' place for em. It ain't a glorious gig, but it pays (thank your tax dollars).

I got early reserves available if you are interested in purchasing a plot for yourself or friends and family!

10 hours ago, MadCast: Icarus said:

For my character post the following applies, "This means I am talking to a person"; This means thinking thoughts ; and this sets the scene.

"Thanks for the offer Lurama but I have the money to pay you now. If I find a moose I'll bring it here and we'll have a town feast!"

Hello, Yes I am a musician! A master of the Crwth, I can play a range of tunes to your liking.

I hope y' all have heard of me by now and if not let me introduce myself, I am Daddy but some people in this here town call me Uncle!

If you've got the money I would play where ever and whatever you'd like!

Edited by MadCast: Daddy

Awards

I guess that everybody is going to RP it up until somebody dies during night phase. /sigh I'll probably die first. If I do, I want you all to know that I suspect Icarus and Mike the most!

At the end of the day Quanta sat down for some mead at the local tavern, he tried to gather together some of the townspeople to rid the town of one of the beast that will surely kill one of us tonight. 

I agree with Stan that something must be done, We need to start a campaign tonight.  VOTE Mike

It was too good to be true. A winter gone by without a single death by the jaws of monsters? Simply a respite, nothing more. Spring might bring with it the promise of new life, but the wolves had come with it, and they were promised blood. 

One MadCast citizen would make that promise go two ways this night.

A single silver blade, forged in a time long forgotten, gleamed in candlelight before it was once more wielded with purpose.

The citizen stole away in the night with only a waxing moon to light their path. Through field and dirt roads, through cobbled alleys and town square, around the pub still leaking smoke from the chimney, they crept. A whisper of shifting cloak was the only trail the vigilante left as they silently slipped through the window of a small house, and each muted step fell with terrible intent.

Dez snored peacefully, and the wet gurgle of his throat as the dagger slid through trailed smoothly into his final breath.

Meanwhile...

A leathery old hand flailed in the dark briefly before finding purchase on a rough stone, the skin beneath the nails turned white to match the moon above. Atop the ruins of an abandoned church, one Narucabra follows the whims of some capricious canine spirit.

Muttering to himself, the man dragged his body up to what was formerly a stairwell landing, now just a shaky wooden platform framed by worn stone.

Whether he knew he was prey at the time, this observer will never know. 

What can be certain, is that when the wolves came for him, leaping up the stone outcroppings of the former holy place, Narucabra reared back his head and howled at the moon.

The wolves do not take kindly to mockery.

NARUCUBRA IS DEAD. [not a wolf]

DEZ IS DEAD. [not a wolf]

NIGHT 1 ENDS.

DAY 2 BEGINS.

Icarus heads downstairs to grab breakfast but something feels off. There was a different feeling in the air. As he eats, a thought enters his mind, "Why does a town need a recruiter and if there is a recruiter, why is the population so small in this little hamlet." 

These thoughts leave the mind nearly as they entered as he sat at a table and ate his breakfast.