MadCast: JigglesTheFett

I started a new hobby recently! (Miniature Painting)

Hey all!

Lately, my entire life has been consumed by three things.

1.) Work

2.) Playing Warmachine

3.) PAINTING WARMACHINE MINIATURES

Warmachine is a game I was super interested in over a decade ago, but was wayyyyy too expensive to get into. Hooray for growing up and being able to spend money on hobbies!

Aside from just playing the game, I decided to try my hand at painting the miniatures. I've been at it for a few months now, and have definitely gotten better than when I started.

Don't get me wrong, I still suck, I just don't suck as much as I did when I first started.

Here's a timeline of my work!

wLQD0LD.jpg

One of my first pieces, These guys weren't so bad, as they were very simple.

nt016MU.jpg

This one is more.. eh. You can see the brush work is incredibly sloppy and streaky. This was also when I only had cheap brushes.

6n5yhkl.jpg

This little tumor looking thing here didn't turn out so bad, but my attempt at making a glowy blue 

VkN7ld4.jpg

This little guy didn't turn out so bad either.

V4E0Fvz.jpg

Next up I started painting my room-mates army. Entirely different than the robots, these guys are undead machines. (well, some of them anyway mostly undead).

5UNyEGW.jpg

There were 10 of these guys in different poses. The first time I dealt with faces (though they were incredibly simple in this context). This was also the time I bought some expensive brushes. Huzzah Winsor & Newton!

uEwRNXy.jpg

An attachment for the unit the last guy was apart of.

q27YN59.jpg

This is a bonejack. Nasty little bugger. Needs some touching up when I go back to do highlighting and such.

JPEG_20180411_131932.jpg

Here's a big guy, and one of the last pieces from my room-mates army I painted.

K2Jw3qy.jpg

Then I went back to my stuff and got some done. This here is a Warjack, it is a Nomad.

JPEG_20180428_162505.jpg

Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor. (This is the most recent model I painted)

JPEG_20180417_222406.jpg

Captain Bartolo Montador. (Forgive the face, It needs some serious work)

DRN4Nbf.jpg

The Ragman.

BZmxdXH.jpg

Doc Killingsworth

UcfyJ87.jpg

Lady Aiyana. Now, I know the rest of her needs some work, but I am super happy with the way her hair turned out. Much better than I expected.

Then, I switched over to another faction of mine, and started painting some of the deadly horned ladies known as the Satyxis.

JPEG_20180421_173355.jpg

Axiara Wraithblade

IMG_20180420_143922368.jpg

Severa Blacktide

I have about 40 more ladies to paint for this particular army, as it's lots of little guys running around with the demon pirate queen known as Skarre.

Now this next picture, is my favorite. Every Pirate Queen needs a Parrot right? Well here is a bonejack known as a Shrike with a custom paint job:

LchwMFd.jpg

And there we have it. You can probably see the progress from the earliest to the latest, and it's significant. To me at least.

Please forgive the terrible quality of the photos. My phone is a big of crap, and I am replacing it this weekend and will totally take better quality pictures.

What do you think?

Solid work Jiggles back in high school I was collecting a couple buck painting figures for others and wasn't at your level of proficiency. as far as tips and tricks to offer streaks aren't always bad. on the second figure they add a 'weathered" look to the figure that I actually like a lot.  With ridged figures like your parrot you can really make parts like it's body pop by using ink washes to darken the recessed parts which adds a nice contrast for faking shadows in those areas. This is also a really easy way to make parts like the ribbed hoses pop.  if you were going for more of a mechanical look you could also highlight the rivets and screw points in the joints. the devil is in the detail but as they are still really great work. I especially like your color choices with the parrot and it's wing. they play nicely off each other  especially with the red backdrop of the body.

Awards

On 5/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, MadCast: narucabra said:

Solid work Jiggles back in high school I was collecting a couple buck painting figures for others and wasn't at your level of proficiency. as far as tips and tricks to offer streaks aren't always bad. on the second figure they add a 'weathered" look to the figure that I actually like a lot.  With ridged figures like your parrot you can really make parts like it's body pop by using ink washes to darken the recessed parts which adds a nice contrast for faking shadows in those areas. This is also a really easy way to make parts like the ribbed hoses pop.  if you were going for more of a mechanical look you could also highlight the rivets and screw points in the joints. the devil is in the detail but as they are still really great work. I especially like your color choices with the parrot and it's wing. they play nicely off each other  especially with the red backdrop of the body.

The parrot has already been washed. I just need to do some highlighting to make the shadows more obvious. :)

Also, I started making custom bases for my models. This is one of the bases for my army of horned pirate ladies.

hjw8vaT.jpg

I wanted the base to match the ghost ship the Warcaster (read: army leader) rides on. I used a two-part modelling epoxy (apoxiesculpt, woo!) and a rubber stamp from Happy Seppeku. I then base coated it in a deep wood brown, washed it, then dry-brushed the lighter brown on it. I think it turned out pretty good. I still have to get rid of the primer and excess brown on the actual edges of the base, but other than that...

HUGE upgrade on phone means MUCH better camera!

cGr1k54.jpg

She still needs some highlighting and such. That was just a base coat, but I love this new camera.

I just started painting (about a week ago) too. This is my first mini (more D&D mini) and it still isn't finished yet. I feel like I will be in the "touch up" phase for ever.

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

Just now, MadCast: Icarus said:

I just started painting (about a week ago) too. This is my first mini (more D&D mini) and it still isn't finished yet. I feel like I will be in the "touch up" phase for ever.

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

Good start! The best two pieces of advice I can give you were the two greatest pieces of advice I got when starting out. 1.) Thin your paints, base coats are smoother and look better when they are several thin coats. 2.) Buy a good brush or two. I started out with some crappy cheap brushes and when I picked up a good brush a few weeks later it was like Night and Day. I suggest Winsor & Newton Series 7 Sable Miniature brushes. I started with a #2, then picked up a #0 for those hard to reach spots and super tiny detail. Here's a #2 for pretty cheap on amazon! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OL1UVI/ref=twister_B01BSAR9YK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My horned pirate ladies have now been completely base coated and based! The "official" color schemes have them all with black hair, but that's way to boring, so I opted for some variety instead!

P_20180516_221300_vHDR_On.jpg

Also finished the base coat on this guy today:

JPEG_20180517_160818.jpg

I have a buddy who plays a lot of tabletop games and he mentioned Warmachine a while back. Until now, I had no idea what it is or what it was about. It looks really interesting. How long are the typical games when you sit down to play?

1 hour ago, Kruhl said:

I have a buddy who plays a lot of tabletop games and he mentioned Warmachine a while back. Until now, I had no idea what it is or what it was about. It looks really interesting. How long are the typical games when you sit down to play?

Depends on how large the armies are. In an event setting, a standard sized game is not going to last more than around 2 hours, but this is due to turn timers, etc. If you're just starting, it can take a lot longer than that.