MadCast: Epic

Discord: Role Changes & Privileges

The SFM team has been working hard behind the scenes to better our Discord and the experience of our members. Recently, there has been discussion on the forums on topics ranging from what technology we have, to the benefits of Full Membership. We are hearing the community, and are taking action on some of the features you would like to see. One of the first changes to come involves our Discord server. 

• There are now only three main text-based channels: #general-chat, #game-chat, and #full-member-chat. The separation of having multiple chats throughout the Discord was beginning to show a clutter and segregation that was unintended. With this change, we hope to continue to engender an environment where we all interact and are involved with one another in the games we play. 

• Sub-roles are now enabled for Full Members to set for themselves and others. have been enabled to reduce usage of @here and @everyone mentions, with the aim of emphasizing the importance of those functions and minimizing notification spam. Many of you provided feedback on how being group mentioned was not to your benefit and offered insight into how to lessen the frequent nature of those notifications, so we have created the following tags for your usage: 

@League of Legends, @Heroes of the Storm, @Destiny, @Rocket League, and @Tabletop

Members can assign these tags by right-clicking themselves in Discord while present on the MadCast server and navigating to the roles selection in the drop-down menu. Once selected, you can assign yourself any number of the above sub-roles. Once assigned, you are now a member of the sub-roles you have selected for yourself and can @mention any role in order to get the attention of your desired audience. 

• Full Members will once again have the ability to create and edit channels within MadCast's Discord. Any Full Member is able to right-click and create a text or voice channel within the Discord for their own purpose. Channel creation is a power that Full Members were always intended to have, and was temporarily lost in the transition to Discord. We are re-implementing the function on the basis that our members will respect the feature, and work to maintain our Discord's general order and organization.

With these changes comes the ability to visibly affect our Discord through channel creation and peer client roles. We expect that these features will not be abused and that the priveledges granted will be used with respect to others. We hope to see more feedback and engagement from our membership in the days to come.

Any questions about these new features can be fielded here, sent to any SFM+ as a PM or Discord message.

On behalf of the SFM team, thank you for your attention.

6 minutes ago, MadCast: Epic said:

Full Members will once again have the ability to create and edit channels within MadCast's Discord. Any Full Member is able to right-click and create a text or voice channel within the Discord for their own purpose. Channel creation is a power that Full Members were always intended to have, and was temporarily lost in the transition to Discord. We are re-implementing the function on the basis that our members will respect the feature, and work to maintain our Discord's general order and organization.

Be mindful that channels don't auto delete, so when you leave, take your room with ya

2 hours ago, MadCast: Baal said:

Be mindful that channels don't auto delete, so when you leave, take your room with ya

Yeah this, the first thing i tried out to see, for some reason i could capitalize any letters so i thought was the reasoning...so others would know its a made channel but apparently im just incompetent and it works as intended. good work i like the updates! 

Awards

This reply is directed toward the SFM and the Staff as a suggestion on Discord.

With all the new and different things that are happening might we consider a Role in MadCast that is separate/diff from RFM/SFM (or add it to either role in general) but something of a Janitorial/maintenance kind of thing.  No powers really other than just making sure everything is tidy in Discord.  

An example (besides making sure that the channels that are not originally put there by management) might be managing pinned messages.  (IE, in one of the main chats, we could make sure that old pins are removed, and current pins are current.  (IE:  When an important message comes up (for example BigDommer is streaming, or an important vote, or thread comes up).

Another example could be to make sure that channels aren't moved higher/lower on the list than where they normally would be.   

It would also be an easy way to generate and direct traffic to the forums.  But it is a bit high maintenance but easily doable.  

Edited by MadCast: drapeta

Awards

6 minutes ago, MadCast: drapeta said:

With all the new and different things that are happening might we consider a Role in MadCast that is separate/diff from RFM/SFM (or add it to either role in general) but something of a Janitorial/maintenance kind of thing.  No powers really other than just making sure everything is tidy in Discord.  

It falls on RFM+ to monitor and maintain Discord to a nominal level of "normal". Keeping channels maintained as mentioned above in that Full Members should be pruning their leftover channels.

14 minutes ago, MadCast: drapeta said:

But it is a bit high maintenance but easily doable.  

What we do here as admins can be high maintenance, but necessary in some instances for progress. With the change we expect more maintenance to be involved with Discord, but in time we hope that everyone comes to respect what they affect and make a collective effort towards maintaining Discord.

The only thing that I would like to see is 1 more sub-role for "Other Games". This would be for Sea of Thieves, Pubg, Fortnight, and literally anything else that doesn't fit the current sub-roles or tabletop.

Other than that I like these changes very very much and I can't wait to see the impact this has on the community!

11 hours ago, MadCast: Icarus said:

The only thing that I would like to see is 1 more sub-role for "Other Games". This would be for Sea of Thieves, Pubg, Fortnight, and literally anything else that doesn't fit the current sub-roles or tabletop

The roles implemented are preliminary and we may be adding more roles to suit the needs of members. If everyone engages in these roles and they serve their purpose, we will add more roles down the road. 

I know I talk tough but thanks to all the administrators who were and are willing to engage in conversation and change things around. Change is scary and the status quo is comfortable; I understand the effort it takes to do what's happened in the last month and I appreciate it immensely. 

1 hour ago, MadCast: VoShay said:

I know I talk tough but thanks to all the administrators who were and are willing to engage in conversation and change things around. Change is scary and the status quo is comfortable; I understand the effort it takes to do what's happened in the last month and I appreciate it immensely. 

We aren't done yet either. 

As an addendum to the above post:

The administration is responding to feedback on how game-chat is moving a bit too fast for people to have conversations about any one game. We've seen the response made by embracing more specific game chats, and hope these chats continue to be used respectfully. Moving forward, there is not a need for a game-chat with the current setup. The game-chat text will be removed, with lol-chat being created. Admins will still be pruning unused chat channels, and any substantial discussion should still move to the forums.