Lately iv been losing my interest in games. I'll sit there for what seems like hours chose a game, get bored and log out after about 5-10 mins. Just want to know if anyone has gone through this? Or is there a way to get out of this slump.

Part of the reason I've been playing Ark a bit more lately. Even running around solo and still enjoying the sh*t out of it. Granted I'm on a modded server with fancy dinos and such ;)

i do this and end up just watching tv or youtube vids. it helps to have someone to play with but even then i tend to loose interest fast. i got really into sea of thieves but lately its just hard to stay focused. i think its just there are so many games and their content doesnt live up to the greatness that games once were as we perceived years ago. so many early access and pre release games that are not finished. thats at least what i chalk it up to. i use to play a single game all night, day after day, but now i can only muster a maybe a hour before im board. is there such a thing as ADD/ADHD for online gaming lol? just to much content maybe...

I seem to go through these periods in waves. Like Baal said though, try something out that's new. It helps to break the monotony and spark some new interest. Come play some HotS! 

It's gonna sound like a weird suggestion, but I'd say try playing something younger kids are super hyped about. That kind of energy can be infectious. 

14 minutes ago, MadCast: The Prince said:

try playing something younger kids are super hyped about. That kind of energy can be infectious. 

Are you suggesting playing Fortnight???

That's it you lost my vote XD

I have this happen, often I'll play a game that either has sat in my library for a while, or an Early Access game I haven't touched in forever, or look for a new game.

Awards

10 hours ago, MadCast: Icarus said:

Are you suggesting playing Fortnight???

That's it you lost my vote XD

I love you too boo. It doesn't have to be Fortnite (but it can be). It could be Candyland. Kids just bring a different kind of energy you don't get with us adult types.

That said, I'd also add that playing some mindless group/party games can be a good way to get out of the slump. If you aren't feeling as social, I'd say play a classic that you can always connect with. My go to for something to get myself going is Knights of the Old Republic. 

I’ve played League for about 7 years now, and there are numerous times where I put it down for a bit, even within the last couple cycles. 

Sometimes the competitive demand and flavours of the game weigh on you. Couple that with just wanting to chill out leads me to seek out games that isolate me. 

Stellaris, TW:Warhammer, grand strategy, etc. Rich games where depth sucks you in and doesn’t let you go until 12am on a work night. Save that, Rife had a good post about party games such as Talisman and the like. 

For sure, I have gone through it a couple of times. Take LoL and GW2 for example. Since I took a longer break, I now get more enjoyment out of playing the games with friends or going through the story content, even though I am not really playing for the game itself anymore. At one point though, I was forcing it so hard that I couldn't even stomach sitting down to play with friends cuz I was so burnt out, so I recommend not trying to force it as that seems to burn me out further.

Give yourself a purposeful break and try to fill your time with something else, maybe away from the screen. Get work done around the house, go outside, exercise, garden, etc. Then be patient. A game will come that you will see and just know you really want to play it. For me, most of these have been singleplayer the past couple years: Rimworld and Stardew Valley being the main ones I fell in love with and sunk hundreds of hours into. I expect there will be a multiplayer game I get really into in the next 3 years, but hard to say (hopefully another MMO). In the meantime, I like to watch little Let's Play videos of indie games or early access/betas (just 15-20 minutes, not long playthroughs) to get a taste for what's out there, and maybe discover the next thing I will be looking forward to. 

Yes, the "full fridge" dilemma.  You have a fridge full of options for food, but when you open it and look at it all you can do is say, "I don't have anything to eat!"

I know that pain.  My usual go to is the indie market.  Into the Breach, Slay the Spire, and Darkest Dungeon always scratch my itch.

Old favorites are also potentially of help. Official boilerplate yada yada don't condone using roms of games you don't have a physical copy in front of you of, but if you can get access to something that you remember fondly from your younger days- Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Secret of Mana as examples of RPGs, Starcraft or Command and Conquer, etc. etc.- revisiting a nostalgic experience can clear the palette. At least for me.

Single player games have never really appealed to me. I'm all about roguelikes or multiplayer games. Looking forward to playing this bad boy tonight on my Switch. My friend is going to purchase a Steam copy for that co-op :). A good game with good company is a 10/10 in my book.

Edited by MadCast: DanKnee

On 5/15/2018 at 6:44 PM, MadCast: DanKnee said:

Single player games have never really appealed to me. I'm all about roguelikes or multiplayer games. Looking forward to playing this bad boy tonight on my Switch. My friend is going to purchase a Steam copy for that co-op :). A good game with good company is a 10/10 in my book.

My brother and I, at least once a year, will hook a rig up to the big TV and engage in an evening of classic co-op Brawlers.  King of the Monsters 2, Knights of the Round, Battletoads, etc.  I feel that.

4 hours ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

My brother and I, at least once a year, will hook a rig up to the big TV and engage in an evening of classic co-op Brawlers.  King of the Monsters 2, Knights of the Round, Battletoads, etc.  I feel that.

That sounds amazing and now has me jonesing for some King of Monsters, Gauntlet legends ,or Rampage

Awards

This happens to me pretty often. At those times I find myself booting up a favorite single-player RPG or platformer. Or I give the controller to my son and let him play a game he likes (mostly Lego games). I find a lot of the burnout/slump for me is driven by needing that reset of being alone. We are all very busy as a society and constantly on display for people; sometimes you need that mental reset button and the only way to press it is by exercising escapism in a solo game. This for me doesn't me solo-q HOTS/League, or even Diablo 3 since Battle.net is deeply tied into the current Blizz games. More along the lines of cranking up D1 or D2, jumping into Witcher 3, or POE (Deadfire I hear is awesome). Best of luck!